Does The Great Deluge In Genesis Of Necessity Must Be Local?

LovelyGiselle

Jul 19, 2015
Miami,Florida
✟899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep that is just honesty about the sorry state of Protestantism in America. It has become lazy and childish.

What is lazy and childless is your denial, mentality, and lack of respect for truth. How childish of you to deny original sin exists and how childish of you to mock the word of God.

Upvote 0

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is lazy and childless is your denial, mentality, and lack of respect for truth. How childish of you to deny original sin exists and how childish of you to mock the word of God.

I don't mock God. I mock the childish belief in magic as a way to not have to be decent moral people. Behavior matter more than belief in magic.

Upvote 0

LovelyGiselle

Jul 19, 2015
Miami,Florida
✟899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is certainly not literal. Jesus is the model for moral behavior. That is his purpose. When the bible says Jesus is the way the truth and the light it is speaking of how he acts and commands others to act. Being saved is about endeavoring to live as he lived. That is behavior.

To think that is not important and just believing in magic is what is important is childish and lazy.

The purpose of Jesus is simply being the model behavior? Do not bother calling yourself a Christian.

Upvote 0

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of Jesus is simply being the model behavior? Do not bother calling yourself a Christian.

Being Christian is about following the commands of Jesus, and the endeavor to act as he did. It certainly isn't simply believing in magic. That is childish and lazy.

Upvote 0

LovelyGiselle

Jul 19, 2015
Miami,Florida
✟899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being Christian is about following the commands of Jesus, and the endeavor to act as he did. It certainly isn't simply believing in magic. That is childish and lazy.

Do not distort. You have already mocked the truth of scripture. You have insulted what the purpose of Jesus is. Yes it is good for us to obey the commands of Jesus by following his ways. But to say his purpose is simply to show us how to act is insane.

You completely wiped out the fact that Jesus Christ was God in the flesh. He is not simply a model for how to behave. He is THE WAY to salvation. He is the messiah. He is Lord.

Upvote 0

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do not distort. You have already mocked the truth of scripture. You have insulted what the purpose of Jesus is. Yes it is good for us to obey the commands of Jesus by following his ways. But to say his purpose is simply to show us how to act is insane.

You completely wiped out the fact that Jesus Christ was God in the flesh. He is not simply a model for how to behave. He is THE WAY to salvation. He is the messiah. He is Lord.

Belief in magic is not a substitute for being a decent person. To think so is childish and lazy.

Upvote 0

LovelyGiselle

Jul 19, 2015
Miami,Florida
✟899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Belief in magic is not a substitute for being a decent person. To think so is childish and lazy.

You are lost. Referring to the truth about salvation is not childish magic. You do not respect God at all. You reject the truth and mock it. The bible is more than just a book about how to be a good person. It shows us THE WAY and ONLY WAY to salvation. Offers humanity the one last chance to be with God again.

Upvote 0

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are lost. Referring to the truth about salvation is not childish magic. You do not respect God at all. You reject the truth and mock it. The bible is more than just a book about how to be a good person. It shows us THE WAY and ONLY WAY to salvation. Offers humanity the one last chance to be with God again.

It isn't God I do not respect. It is a childish and lazy reading of Genesis I have no respect for.

Upvote 0

LovelyGiselle

Jul 19, 2015
Miami,Florida
✟899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It isn't God I do not respect. It is a childish and lazy reading of Genesis I have no respect for.

Do not bother. You have already admitted that you do not even believe in original sin. You are not a Christian. You even considered Jesus Christ to simply be a model of how to behave. He is far more than that.

Upvote 0

OliviaMay

Jul 16, 2015
✟1,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do not bother. You have already admitted that you do not even believe in original sin. You are not a Christian. You even considered Jesus Christ to simply be a model of how to behave. He is far more than that.

Believing in original sin or magic is not required to be Christian. Only following the commands of Jesus is. The purpose of Jesus is to be a role model.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As an old Earth creationist, who believes in an ancient universe and yet a recent beginning of life, you would think I take the Deluge word for word.

But I don't. I think it's actually symbolic altogether. The tribe of Noah bargained with ancient Greece during a local flood which turned the East into a marsh.
The olive branch is a symbol of Greece, doves represent peace. 40 is the number of probation or testing.

It's pretty much impossible to carry all the animals on Earth on a boat. Even by the ancient way of thinking, this would be seen as preposterous. I really don't think it was literal period.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Homo sapiens sapiens is the only existing species of humans, which makes them the most recent humans. Adam would have been one of the most recent humans, and according to the biblical record, life did not exist shortly before Adam. Therefore, life did not exist recently.

But H. sapiens once existed simultaneously with other species of Homo such as the Neanderthals, the Denisovans, the Floresians and possibly even late H. erectus. We are the only existing species now, but that has not always been the case.

All observations are subjectively interpreted. That’s how the human mind works.

I am glad you recognize that. But you can't take a statement like "life did not exist recently" and call it an observation. That has not been observed. That is an interpretation of the scripture, not an observation.

I’m not saying re-creation is in scripture, I’m saying that re-creation offers a reasonable and logical explanation for what we do observe in scripture

Even better, this far. A complete recognition that you are interpreting scripture in a way that makes sense to you. To this point I would actually agree with you. It is when you add this:
and the fossil record.
that we get disagreement. In no way does a recent cessation of life agree with the fossil record.

In the fossil record life is old. In scripture life is new. There is nothing wrong with trying to make sense of this apparent contradiction.

I would say there is something wrong with this. This treats scripture and science as if they were the same kind of knowledge, the same type of information. But so treated they do conflict. However, as God is the ultimate source of both scriptural and scientific truth, that is impossible. Better then to recognize that science often speaks of what scripture does not, and when they appear to speak of the same thing, they do not do so in the same way. The biblical authors were not trying to give us knowledge that can be verified by scientific methods and observations. They were giving us a different sort of revelation.

Even theistic evolutionists do it. But they prefer an allegorical interpretation of Genesis. I simply prefer an explanation the holds to a literal interpretation of Genesis, which to me makes the most sense in light of what scripture teaches as a whole.
Actually I did.

The fossil record tells us that life is old. The biblical record tells us that life is new.

Re-creation offers a logical explanation for this apparent contradiction while still holding to a literal interpretation of Genesis.

That’s my reason.

I see. And I think you will agree that this reason is only needed if you "prefer an explanation the [sic] holds to a literal interpretation of Genesis". So my question has still not been answered. Why prefer a literal interpretation when it creates such difficult apparent contradictions?

I disagree.

Many people’s opinion about Genesis is shaped by evolution theory and not by the scriptures themselves. A historical account being the intent of the author is supported by a number of other scriptures in both the Old and New Testament, and by Jesus himself. Anything other than a literal, historical account makes no sense at all in the light of scripture as a whole.
Not exactly.

We have already concluded that many of the modern species today existed in prehistory with differences that were negligible. Perhaps the line got blurred because the differences were so negligible. In any case, some species could have been re-created exactly as they were before.

Yet the idea that Genesis is allegorical has been held by some students of scripture for over 2,000 years with no theory of evolution to stimulate it; only the text itself. I will agree that modern science was a factor in retrieving this idea from the past, for it seems to have been forgotten for a time. But I am not aware of any significant controversy over the idea of an allegorical Genesis until modern times. Even if only a few ancient scholars articulated it, it was apparently accepted as a legitimate approach in the Patristic age and both the literal and allegorical interpretations stood side by side without enmity. To each their own preference.

I’m thinking the break would have occurred 6 to 12 thousand years ago.

In that case, even H. sapiens would need to be re-created for fossils of H. sapiens are much older than that.

But the very idea of a re-creation is what is called an ad hoc thesis. There is no reason to even put the proposal forward unless we first have the proposal of an earth cleared of life. And there is no evidence for it at all. Usually, in science, we get some sort of evidence needing an explanation first, then a hypothesis as to what that explanation might be. A hypothesis put forward simply to support an earlier hypothesis which has not been validated itself yet has no explanatory value. If and when there is reason to believe the earth really was cleared of life in the time frame you mention, then one can pose the question--so how did it get repopulated? But if it was never fully cleared of life in the first place, then no re-creation is necessary.

But I am not expecting that there will always be physical evidence left by actual historical events. That’s why I believe there was a break in prehistory despite lack of physical evidence.

As I explained earlier, even a short break would leave physical evidence. Possibly not geological evidence, but it would leave biological evidence including genetic bottlenecks.

If Genesis was an actual historical account the interpretation would still be the same no matter who it was written to, and it would still conflict with prevailing scientific theory.

Key word: "If"

And I’m not saying it does. But re-creation does offer a reasonable and logical explanation of what the Bible does say in light of the fossil record.

Only to the extent that the fossil record tells us there was life on earth prior to 12,000 years ago. But the fossil record also records no time when earth was devoid of life, no time within that framework when it was devoid of human life, so re-creation is not a reasonable and logical explanation in light of the fossil record.

The fossil record tells us that life is old. The biblical record tells us that life is new, beginning shortly before Adam.
You are assuming the biblical record tells us Adam's existence began 6-12 thousand years ago. You don't even need allegory to find that debatable. Then there is the whole question of who 'ha-adam' in Genesis 2 is. The Hebrew does not justify the personal name.

Re-creation offers a reasonable explanation for this apparent contradiction. There is no reason for me to interpret Genesis as an allegory when there is a perfectly natural and logical explanation for it.

So, it comes back to a preference for avoiding allegory in favour of a literal interpretation.
But what is the value of the literal when allegory makes more sense?

They didn’t need scientific knowledge; they only needed knowledge of history.

History is evidence.

Only when what people believe is history really is history. In the case of Genesis, whatever people believed or believe, it is not known that it is history.

We also need the Bible to tell us how life originated on earth and why life originated on earth, something that science is still trying to figure out and will never figure out.

No, we don't need that kind of knowledge from the Bible. The bible tells us more important things, such as that the universe is a created cosmos (=order) and within that order humanity was created for a task, a function, a purpose. IOW life, especially human life, is meaningful.

Now, that is knowledge science can never give us.

Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The things is if the flood was not world wide is even a more amazing miracle. It's would be like in USA every mountain top was covered for about a year but in Mexico was not. Now we do know God can create walls of water when He parted the Red Sea but why was that left out in Noah account?

Incorrect, the text was no doubt embellished by English translators, the Hebrew used for moutain - har - also applies to hill and hill country.

Har

Definition
  1. hill, mountain, hill country, mount

Genesis 7:19-20; Genesis 8:4-5; Genesis 10:30; Genesis 12:8; Genesis 19:17; Genesis 19:19; Genesis 19:30; Genesis 22:2; Genesis 22:14; Genesis 31:21; Genesis 31:23; Genesis 31:25; Genesis 31:54; Genesis 36:8-9

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/kjv/har.html

According to Josephus, the ancient Jews did not believe in a global flood either:

"Now all the writers of barbarian [Greek] histories make mention of this flood and of this ark: among whom is Berosus the Chaldean... Hieronymous the Egyptian.... Nicolaus of Damascus, in his ninety-sixth book, hath a particular relation about them, where he speaks thus: 'There is a great mountain in Armenia, over Minyas, called Baris, upon which it is reported that many who fled at the time of the Deluge were saved; and that one who was carried in an ark came on shore upon top of it; and that the remains of the timber were a great while preserved. This might be the man about whom Moses, the legislator of the Jews wrote'.

Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews: Book 1, Chapter 3, Section 6.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Incorrect, the text was no doubt embellished by English translators, the Hebrew used for moutain - har - also applies to hill and hill country.
It doesn't matter since The hills , mountains even known by Noah that last for a year would require a super natural miracle to be a local flood. A local flood doesn't last for a year. This is like saying the eastern half of USA was covered by water for a year while the western half was not.
How are you going to explain away the length of time Noah had to stay in the ark?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't matter since The hills , mountains even known by Noah that last for a year would require a super natural miracle to be a local flood. A local flood doesn't last for a year. This is like saying the eastern half of USA was covered by water for a year while the western half was not.
How are you going to explain away the length of time Noah had to stay in the ark?

See this thread - Noah's Flood Was Definitely Local, Why?

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You didn't answer my question.

I countered your question with a question, how did the earth get replenished so fast just 111 years after the flood and begin the construction of a tower leading up to heaven, namely the tower of Babel?

The tower of Babel occurred sometime before or when Peleg was born.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I countered your question with a question, how did the earth get replenished so fast just 111 years after the flood and begin the construction of a tower leading up to heaven, namely the tower of Babel?

The tower of Babel occurred sometime before or when Peleg was born.
I don't know. Jesus verified that Noah's flood did happen.

P.S. I do remember reading Scofield notes that in a few places the Hebrew numbers are known to be off. One example had to do with Abraham and another the judgement choices given to David. The problem with Hebrew he noted was they didn't have separate characters for numbers which made it easier to mistranslates numbers. Even though this has been known for a very long time men in the past had so much respect for the scriptures that they left it as it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know. Jesus verified that Noah's flood did happen.

P.S. I do remember reading Scofield notes that in a few places the Hebrew numbers are known to be off. One example had to do with Abraham and another the judgement choices given to David. The problem with Hebrew he noted was they didn't have separate characters for numbers which made it easier to mistranslates numbers. Even though this has been known for a very long time men in the past had so much respect for the scriptures that they left it as it is.

I see, so mistranlations of numbers is fine in your book but not hermanuetics dealing with Hebrew words with multiple definitions is out of the question.

Any way you cut it, the tower of Babel happened just before or during the year Peleg was born. And Peleg was born a 111 years after the flood.

Upvote 0