Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It has been my goal for a long time now to go to college so I can start working on an associates degree so I can pursue better jobs in the future. I finally enrolled and I had to take a test to be eligible to start classes. I made 56% on the math portion so I cannot start school this semester -_- I studied for a month almost 10-15 hours every week (in between work and such) and I still didn't improve at all. I'm literally just too stupid for college.

Why did God make me so stupid? It's not just this one thing, I kind of just scrapped my way through high school best I could in all subjects but one, and even just life in general I make stupid mistake after stupid mistake that screws me over for months all the time. It just makes me so angry and depressed that I can take all the advice in the world, work my butt of to achieve something and no matter what I end up failing somehow. So why would God even make me so dumb when He knows it's going to make it impossible to achieve anything? Does He even care that I am going to be stuck burning myself out at menial jobs and being a burden to my future-husband for the rest of my life? People always tell me that I will end up where I'm supposed to be, trust God, yada yada, but I have prayed so long and hard about these things. It doesn't matter, God isn't some test-fairy who is going to give me the answers to make it into college. And praying about my decisions hasn't stopped them from being huge mistakes... I just don't understand why God would make me so incapable.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
A good saying that's been attributed to Einstein is "if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."

I went to college and had to take one statistics course to get into my major. I suck at math and formulas and all that so I barely passed - and that was by nothing short of a miracle. The rest of my courses, though, I averaged an A all the way through because it was my interest area, and my aptitude is well suited to my major. I was already strong in the basics of the field simply by being who I am, and college just built on where I was already strong.

You could do that, too. Figure out what your strengths are, what are you naturally inclined to do, and what is your career aptitude? What do you love to do and do well? That's where to focus your energies. God has not made you incapable - God is shaping you into who he wants you to be, and he knows what he's doing. Take what he's given you and put it to work.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Why would you want clarity on limits rather than strengths?

There are a number of ways to get to know yourself. Once you have a pretty good idea of your talents, skills, aptitude, etc, then you can translate that to what kind of career you would be suited for. Once you have a list of 5-10 suitable careers, start researching them to see if you are missing any of the requirements, and how to go about getting them. If that means years of college and you are unable, then consider a more entry-level position in the same field.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok first thing is, is your future husband, i take it you are engaged, saying you are stupid?
Cos that is not right.

And second, why would a future husband think you being a burden if you dont have a well paying job?? If he loves you he loves you for who you are not how much you can earn.

And it is actually the husbands responsibilty to provide. So I jst think some things are not right here and please do not go round blaming God. He wants whats best for you, and has given you gifts and talents that you may not have opened yet.

Upvote 0

Moonrise Lu

Jul 23, 2014
Texas
✟9,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I love to do and what I do well don't match up. Knowing your limits would be nice to know to not waste your time on something. I have been searching a long time on career options and there hasn't been a single thing where I wouldn't be incredibly lacking in half of the requirements.

No he never says that, he thinks I'm smart. But I am apparently dumber than a high schooler so whatever. He wouldn't think of me as a burden but I would personally feel like one. I should be part of improving our lives, not just him. It's just that I've literally prayed to God about this kind of thing for like a decade now and still nothing...

Upvote 0

Zandy12

Life is like a rollarcoaster, just enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2015
Iowa
✟19,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with Valleygal, you should consider taking a career personality test. Those help alot and give you a bunch of career choices you might be interested in. Knowing yourself definitely plays a huge role in obtaining an optimal career and enjoying it as well. Don't be afraid to try new things, because you might stumble upon something you might really like and can do! I don't believe you are stupid. If anyone is stupid its me lol. "Everyone is good at something but no one is good at everything" is the saying. That is a fact. So I think its best you do some soul-searching and look for some favorable degrees, don't be shy to switch them later down the road if you don't like them.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
God is not a genie. I just wonder why you so hostile to Him. He resists the proud, and gives grace to the humble.

Thinking you stupid because someone else says so who is not God is not the right attitude.

You need to think less of yourself and more of God. It just sounds like you want your own way in everything and not really caring what God thinks of you at all. Find out what His purposes are.

What kind of prayers are you praying to God? Are you praying in Jesus name? Or is it just i want this this and this.

Im sorry to be harsh but do you really know Him? If you want wisdom the best thing is to start reading the Bible, I recommend Proverbs. When solomon prayed you kniw what he asked for? Not riches but wisdom. God granted him wisdom and then riches came to solomon because he was so wise. God has a gift and you can ask for the spirit of wisdom, He will give it to you freely. Desire it above all else.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
What I love to do and what I do well don't match up. Knowing your limits would be nice to know to not waste your time on something. I have been searching a long time on career options and there hasn't been a single thing where I wouldn't be incredibly lacking in half of the requirements.
Most people will gradually gravitate to the things they do well. Can you give me an example of something you want to do and something you already know you do well or have an aptitude for? When you were trying to go to college, what was the degree you were hoping to get?

In your research of career options, have you ever gone to a career coach or career counsellor? What kind of assessments have you done, and what were the results?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would go to the BIble first and seek wisdom from above before going to a career counselor actually. Career counselors can only give you so much...and their opinion of the job market. They may even make you feel more stupid, because such is the economy that lots of people have to take menial jobs.

The important thing is your rleationship with the Lord. He does not think you are stupid. He loves the meek and the lowly and actually the high and noble dont impress him as much. He can lift you up when you are down. But you must first submit to him and that doesnt mean praying you will get rich. Pray for wisdom and to know Him better.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Goodbook, that's a pretty unfair and unreasonable judgement of career counsellors. Counsellors do not merely give "opinions." Career counsellors are current on things like research-based labour market information, and they also provide clients with a variety of assessments that, when put together and taken into context, can provide clients with a fairly comprehensive overview of suitability for a variety of jobs that gets the client thinking about their own destiny. They help clients make their own informed decisions of career development based on who God has created them to be.

Going to God... all they are going to hear from God is that he created them with just the right genes and environment to bring about choices people can make. I am "suitable" for a number of careers including nursing, human resources, business management, massage therapy, and social work. That is how God has created me. Now I can look at all these careers and see which one is interesting that I might want to do. If I choose nursing, I could go in on a variety of levels from care aide to LPN to RN to RPN, etc, each with their own level of education, or none at all. I would not be outside of God's will by choosing to be an LPN versus a human resources manager, so getting direction from God would be more along the lines of which doors of opportunity will open when I knock.

FYI, I have been a nurse and am now a social worker and I happen to work with people who have multiple barriers to gaining independence through employment. So I found your comments really rather insulting.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry, but i found career counsellors insulting as some of them have no idea what is best for others. And I have been to many. And they all say the same thing whoch is they have no idea.

Your most wonderful counsellor is Jesus and he wasnt going round telling people what their options in the current market is and making them feel stupid if the dont fit the criteria.

God gives us the work to do and following Him is the most satisfying thing in the world.
Jesus didnt tell people go out and get independence. He healed them made them well, and drew them closer to God FIRST.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It has been my goal for a long time now to go to college so I can start working on an associates degree so I can pursue better jobs in the future. I finally enrolled and I had to take a test to be eligible to start classes. I made 56% on the math portion so I cannot start school this semester -_- I studied for a month almost 10-15 hours every week (in between work and such) and I still didn't improve at all. I'm literally just too stupid for college.

Why did God make me so stupid? It's not just this one thing, I kind of just scrapped my way through high school best I could in all subjects but one, and even just life in general I make stupid mistake after stupid mistake that screws me over for months all the time. It just makes me so angry and depressed that I can take all the advice in the world, work my butt of to achieve something and no matter what I end up failing somehow. So why would God even make me so dumb when He knows it's going to make it impossible to achieve anything? Does He even care that I am going to be stuck burning myself out at menial jobs and being a burden to my future-husband for the rest of my life? People always tell me that I will end up where I'm supposed to be, trust God, yada yada, but I have prayed so long and hard about these things. It doesn't matter, God isn't some test-fairy who is going to give me the answers to make it into college. And praying about my decisions hasn't stopped them from being huge mistakes... I just don't understand why God would make me so incapable.
Not being good at math does not make you dumb or stupid. It also does not stop you from going to college - or shouldn't. What you should be able to do is take remedial math classes, so please ask about this.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
op God cares for you but you need to seek His will and humble yourself. I will say this, God does not think you a burden if you dont earn any money. Women are the the most diligent workers even over men but often we dont get paid as much as them. Thats a reality.

So please dont think you have to be the one earning big bucks unless you love money over God. God did not make you stupid and require you to pass some kind of career test to prove that you are worthy.

He has all the wisdom over man and if there is some thing that Hes called you to do, He will give you the tools to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mathematics may not be your forte, it isnt for a lot of people. But yes you can ask for tutoring in that area. The way it is taught may be a problem nowadays.

I found once it gets taught correctly, it is easy. Otherwise its gobbledegook. If someone explains to me CLEARLY how to solve a problem I can do it.

Mathematics is step by step. You cant miss out the steps. If you do, you end up with the wrong answer, so work out your answer before you give it. If you get it wrong, go back and do it again.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also mathematics take practise. For example, times tables. You start learning, you practise, you memorise the answers. You say them out loud, just like when you read the bible and repeat scripture to yourself. Then you dont have to count on your hands you can do it in your head.

Then you start to see patterns and it becomes easier.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Moonrise, I had the same issue. Every time I take the college entry test, I score too low on math. They offer the option of remedial classes. I did that in my early twenties, then raised it high enough, but now when I returned to college later in life, I had to take the tests over again since I hadn't previously taken a math course/credit. It is a common issue. A lot of us forget math as we age and don't use it. Don't beat yourself up about it - I feel awkward with how slow I am with math as well, but I know I'm not stupid and I seriously doubt you are either.

Upvote 0