Does Christianity (or any major Religion) Need a Witch To Burn?

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you've look at history, you will see that every society or culture on this planet has always had some witch to burn, that is, there has always been "something" evil to hate and crusade against.

I was literally thinking of the Salem Witch Trials. Looking back on that, its amazing to see how the hatred spawned so many illogical and irrational arguments for why so-and-so was a witch, how to prove they were a witch, and how even when you were wrong in burning the innocent you could somehow justify your actions (i.e no matter what they were never wrong doing what they did..)

Thinking about various cultures over the centuries, it occurred to me that there has always been some group of people who have always been the evil others.

This got me to thinking, is it possible for their to be a culture or society or religion without some evil other group to hate?

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
dgiharris said:
This got me to thinking, is it possible for their to be a culture or society or religion without some evil other group to hate?

That would require a perfect society in which evil didn't exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,067.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but it may be difficult and tends not to last.

Seems to me humans need some kind of challenge or opposition.

It can be mountains to climb or bridges to build, but far to often it is witches to burn.

But to be fair in the more generic sense of people to hate and harm it is not at all limited to Christians.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems to me humans need some kind of challenge or opposition.

It can be mountains to climb or bridges to build, but far to often it is witches to burn.

But to be fair in the more generic sense of people to hate and harm it is not at all limited to Christians.

No, it's not limited to Christianity. It's a human thing. That said, it is much easier to unite a group, Christians for instance, against a common "enemy." I think that's why there always seems to be some kind of "witch hunt" with each era. It's uniting.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, it's not limited to Christianity. It's a human thing. That said, it is much easier to unite a group, Christians for instance, against a common "enemy." I think that's why there always seems to be some kind of "witch hunt" with each era. It's uniting.

Yes. It's essentially a feature of tribalism, and may actually be beneficial for group cohesion.

Upvote 0

cutekittycat

broken doll
Jun 27, 2012
✟8,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes. It's essentially a feature of tribalism, and may actually be beneficial for group cohesion.

kind of eerie, actually.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,067.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

2 of us evil atheists in a row saying this is not a Christian thing.

And I'll bet it goes unnoticed in certain circles.

And unremarked on in others. Not speaking ill of those do not find this worth remarking on. I'm going to assume that in most cases that is because they do not find atheists speaking the truth, even when serves to not condemn Christianity, not all that remarkable.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,932,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just got back home and was happy to see that the "buck" in this case didn't stop with Christians alone, and that according to two atheists .. :clap:

And here I felt like I was going to have to mention the world's all-over BFF, Joe Stalin, and his seventy million "casualties". No need to now though .. :thumbsup:

Thanks Keith for the "fair and balanced" reporting. At least for this Christian, it did not go unnoticed and was, in fact, appreciated .. :)

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,067.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I just got back home and was happy to see that the "buck" in this case didn't stop with Christians alone, and that according to two atheists .. :clap:

And here I felt like I was going to have to mention the world's all-over BFF, Joe Stalin, and his seventy million "casualties". No need to now though .. :thumbsup:

Thanks Keith for the "fair and balanced" reporting. At least for this Christian, it did not go unnoticed and was, in fact, appreciated .. :)

Yours and His,
David

I call them as I see them.

Sometimes the worst Christianity can be 'blamed for' is not turning sinners into saints instantly.

I also try to limit my criticism to the subset worth blaming. There are some Christians on this site that are constantly whining when Christians do not get special treatment. It is sometimes easy to forget such are a minority, if a loud one.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,932,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Organized, denominations are not Christianity. Christianity did not hold witch trials.

"Christianity" is not responsible for the Salem witch trials, but a Christian "denomination" is .. :confused:

So which "denomination" do you believe the culprit* to be in this case .. :scratch:

*I can't remember a single instance of a "denomination" presiding over either a civil or a criminal trial. Can you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,932,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I call them as I see them.

Sometimes the worst Christianity can be 'blamed for' is not turning sinners into saints instantly.

I also try to limit my criticism to the subset worth blaming. There are some Christians on this site that are constantly whining when Christians do not get special treatment. It is sometimes easy to forget such are a minority, if a loud one.

I agree and appreciate your kind "understatement" concerning many of us in the underlined portion above (I being both a Reformed Christian and a reformed "heavy whiner" .. :doh:). We do have a "code of conduct" we know we are supposed to abide by, especially when talking to non-Christians. In fact, verses like this one,
"Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15
are quite specific about it as you can see. But while Christians we may be, humans we remain and sometimes our emotions do get the best of us .. :sorry: If I ever fall off the "whiner" wagon again and you're around to witness it, please be sure to remind me of this verse!!

Thanks!

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm also not going to hold Christianity's feet to the fire on this. They are certainly not alone in responsibility here.

It is easier to unite a group of people (or just distract them as needed) when there is someone to hate. If you manage to convince that group that the hatred is not warranted, it won't be terribly long before another convenient target comes along.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Christianity" is not responsible for the Salem witch trials, but a Christian "denomination" is .. :confused:

So which "denomination" do you believe the culprit* to be in this case .. :scratch:

*I can't remember a single instance of a "denomination" presiding over either a civil or a criminal trial. Can you?

Medieval witch trials sometimes took place in ecclesiastical courts.

Upvote 0

ob77

Jun 1, 2014
✟470.00
Faith
Christian
If you've look at history, you will see that every society or culture on this planet has always had some witch to burn, that is, there has always been "something" evil to hate and crusade against.

I was literally thinking of the Salem Witch Trials. Looking back on that, its amazing to see how the hatred spawned so many illogical and irrational arguments for why so-and-so was a witch, how to prove they were a witch, and how even when you were wrong in burning the innocent you could somehow justify your actions (i.e no matter what they were never wrong doing what they did..)

Thinking about various cultures over the centuries, it occurred to me that there has always been some group of people who have always been the evil others.

No, the hatred between Satan's seed and Adam's seed were put in place by God alone when He said I shall place enmity between thy seed and the seed of the woman. God Himself, did this, it is not borne of man's superstitions.

Upvote 0