Southern Illinois
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've fasted before, and usually when I am in deep need, I will do a Three Day Fast. Lately, I've attempted a three day fast a few times, but as I go on in the day, maybe I am getting snacks for my kids, like Cheetos, and without thinking, or by reflex, will pop on or two in my mouth, and when (also by reflex), grab for another one, my mind goes "Oh NOooooo! I was fasting.

This usually discourages me, and my mind tells me, that "It's all over' you might as well go to a Buffet tonight, cause you done broke your fast".

Some of me wanted to keep going, but there is that mind battle, that I would not get results because of that one Cheetos, pop in the mouth.

So in that case, can I still continue my fast, without dis-pleasing God, or does it spoil it. I know there is a difference between Old Law, and New Covenant.

Would the Heart of God, forgive that one accidental snacking, if I repented, and God knew in my heart it was by reflex and not 'giving into temptation'. Or would it not be the same?

Kimmy85

God's love NEVER fails!
Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" Romans 8:1

Ultimately, God looks at your heart! We are currently in our midyear fast, I had to tell one of the members of my small group to take something because she was feeling nauseated and she was in her office that time.. if she faints, that can even cause confusion to her workmates. How can that lead people to Christ right? :234:

Anyway, that's really not your situation but just wanna share hehe :eheh: Just go on with your fast.. God will give you the GRACE everytime. God cannot possibly love you less or change His mind with what He wants to give you just because of that... His love is not based on our performance. HE LOVES US UNCONDITIONALLY, no if's no but's.. of course we dont abused that, but receive it!! GOD BLESS YOU :bye:

Upvote 0
An acidental snack doesnt void a fast at all as long as it was truelly acidental. acidentaly eating a candy bar, sipping water, eating a fruit, etc can be overlooked with a proper apology. As long as you dont altimately decide to take a snack or a drnk of water you are good. But you cnt eat a whole plate of food and expect God to overlook it because your hunger is already satisfied.

Upvote 0

chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So in that case, can I still continue my fast, without dis-pleasing God, or does it spoil it. I know there is a difference between Old Law, and New Covenant.

Why are you fasting and why do you think eating something would be displeasing to God?

Upvote 0

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 7, 2004
Exeter, United Kingdom
Visit site
✟7,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The way I would handle this (personally) is to add time to the end of the fast.

So, say, you're fasting for 24 hours and you unintentionally take a small snack, add another (say) two hours on at the end.

The approach of abandoning the fast because of a lapse seems unnecessary to me. It feels similar to "Oh, I was a christian, but then I sinned again, I've ruined it, I'm no longer a christian, I'll go back to how I was." Or "I was on a diet, but I put on half a pound, there's no point, I'll stop now." We all make mistakes, work on avoiding them recurring but carry on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

louise sheinholtz

May 23, 2013
✟601.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
I've fasted before, and usually when I am in deep need, I will do a Three Day Fast. Lately, I've attempted a three day fast a few times, but as I go on in the day, maybe I am getting snacks for my kids, like Cheetos, and without thinking, or by reflex, will pop on or two in my mouth, and when (also by reflex), grab for another one, my mind goes "Oh NOooooo! I was fasting.

This usually discourages me, and my mind tells me, that "It's all over' you might as well go to a Buffet tonight, cause you done broke your fast".

Some of me wanted to keep going, but there is that mind battle, that I would not get results because of that one Cheetos, pop in the mouth.

Would the Heart of God, forgive that one accidental snacking, if I repented, and God knew in my heart it was by reflex and not 'giving into temptation'. Or would it not be the same?

Oh the religious buffs!
Try fasting from sin, not food.

Upvote 0