Do you tip on to-go orders at restaurants?

Do you tip on to-go orders at restaurants?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Other (explain please!)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting how different the perspectives are. It's just bizarre to me that a tip is almost viewed as an expected part of visiting a restaurant, I know now why that is but coming from my background it just feels odd that tips should make up the shortfall in wages.

Bad service, no tip. The service you would normally expect, no tip. Good/outstanding service, a tip. It's always been that a tip was a reward for service beyond normal expectations. Now I feel like a completely uneducated European :oops:.

In terms of to-go orders I have left a tip when it's obvious they're still doing their very best despite the circumstances being less than ideal, but it's very rare.
You must have Dutch roots, normal service no tip? Some here tip always but the tip is only 2 euro or so. Hahahahaha we had some Americans who came here and they went to a restaurant and they got a tiny glass. They said: What's that? They thought it was to wash your hands. No that's your drink. If you want more you can pay another one.
We went to Canada to a restaurant and the waiter took our glass when it was empty without asking. We were like: oh no, now we have to pay another one. Lol it was free refill.
In one restaurant we got flower vases.

Upvote 0

snoopy500

Revelation 21:6- I am Alpha and Omega
May 14, 2015
Toronto
✟79,492.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I'm glad McDonald's employees aren't tipped employees, otherwise employers could get away with paying them horribly low wages (not that the wages they already get aren't horribly low, but they'd be paid even LOWER).

Which is why I always tip tipped employees as much as I can.

This is somewhat of a conversational issue with Mcdonalds actually. I have worked at McDonald's for nearly 2 years. We aren't allowed too accept tips as any extra money goes too the Ronald Mcdonald house. So when you do decide too give us extra change for whatever reason, it normally just goes too charity. I can understand tho people not tipping. I don't either since I honestly can't afford it.

Upvote 0

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In my country you generally don't tip at restaurants (or anywhere else for that matter). Workers at restaurants normally get decent wages, so they don't need to be tipped. Of course there are exceptions since we're becoming more and more influenced by customs in other countries, but normally waiters and taxi drivers don't expect any tip.

Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You must have Dutch roots, normal service no tip? Some here tip always but the tip is only 2 euro or so. Hahahahaha we had some Americans who came here and they went to a restaurant and they got a tiny glass. They said: What's that? They thought it was to wash your hands. No that's your drink. If you want more you can pay another one.
We went to Canada to a restaurant and the waiter took our glass when it was empty without asking. We were like: oh no, now we have to pay another one. Lol it was free refill.
In one restaurant we got flower vases.

Very close ;). My extended family are shocked when I tip at all, they get very confused by it.
I love cultural differences. Free refills, flower vases?! I think I've only ever gotten free refills at a bowling alley XD.

Upvote 0