Do you tip on to-go orders at restaurants?

Do you tip on to-go orders at restaurants?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Other (explain please!)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't have much money either, lol. It makes me irritated when I go out to eat with certain family members (who are pretty darn wealthy) and see them bring out the calculators to give the smallest tip possible :/

If I don't have enough money to tip well, I don't have enough money to eat out.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad McDonald's employees aren't tipped employees, otherwise employers could get away with paying them horribly low wages (not that the wages they already get aren't horribly low, but they'd be paid even LOWER).

Which is why I always tip tipped employees as much as I can.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't tip To-Go orders, those employees are actually using making more per hour than the waiters. Quite frankly, the only reason I tip waiters is because that's actually how they get paid, which is also why I usually tip them very well. It's not even custom in most countries to tip waiters because they actually pay them.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That would be nice if that was the custom here, to actually pay people what they're worth.

Usually the to-go orders at the restaurants I go to are handled by the servers that work the area nearest to the exit. I could see what you mean if there were handled by a non-tipped employee, though.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
That would be nice if that was the custom here, to actually pay people what they're worth.

Usually the to-go orders at the restaurants I go to are handled by the servers that work the area nearest to the exit. I could see what you mean if there were handled by a non-tipped employee, though.

Most of the ones I've ordered from restaurants that had full table service, it's entirely different section of the restaurant or the host runs back to the kitchen to pick it up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Depends...if it is actually a waiter that a takes my order and brings me the food, usually...but not as high of a percentage as someone who actually has to serve me for an entire meal. If I walk in or call in my order and it is bagged up in the kitchen and given to a hostess or cashier to hand to me, probably not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RayofSun

Feb 22, 2005
Land of the ice and snow
✟121,331.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't typically get orders to go... lol.
But it really depends. If there was something tricky about my order or I felt that I created a bit of extra work for them beyond bringing it from the kitchen to the counter, probably. For example if my entire family is ordering out, then I feel a tip is probably necessary because that's a lot to deal with.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've seen tipping get out of hand. I go to a mechanic for my car, and there's a tip jar there. Coffee shops are another one. They are paid hourly and yet set a tip jar out. It reminds me of those "donate to whoever" jars. The guy who picks up the money from the jar takes out his car, gas, time, etc, and there is really nothing left. I'm tempted to say that the owner of a restaurant should tip me for having to drive to his restaurant to pick up food because he is too cheap to have delivery drivers who I would happily tip. And for some reason, I feel as through I've stepped to the dark side. (shakes off the cold republican Ebenezer feeling in a dark room)

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No of course not. You don't even have to tip in a restaurant here, because they get a good income. You may but lol most Dutch People don't give much, one or two euro, so they give them a normal income. When we went to Canada and the States we tipped 10%, someone told us that you had to do that, that it was part of their income.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
10% is an insult to your wait staff. 15% is normal. Over that is a compliment. One dollar is normal minimum, so don't dig out 15% of your drink price. If you get a deal or coupon, you pay the 15% of the price without the deal or coupon.

Upvote 0