Do you think it's awkward to attend a singles ministry?

SH89

Sola scriptura
Aug 7, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Visit site
✟17,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think it's awkward to attend a singles ministry? As in a group of church which consists of Christian singles.

I just think of the idea of going to a singles ministry as extremely embarrassing and exposing. It's like saying, "here I am to find a date!"

What do you guys think?

Tylorick

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
✟8,904.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
well as a church .. it really is important that you meet the needs of people in different stages of life.. I think it's not more of a dating thing as it is, that they don't have any other group to relate to. My mom was talking about how you really can't put young married couples and young adults in the same category, because they are just two different groups. One really can't relate to the other much. It shouldn't be awkward to go to a singles ministry, as long as you are not going for the sole purpose to get a date, but it should be something that you look into.. Because the topics, and struggles you are dealing with will relate more to your experiences

Upvote 0

PortraitOfPink

Surrounded by Your Glory, what will my heart feel
Apr 13, 2006
Orange County, CA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know people at my church who have gone and who have gotten really great friends through it, but who haven't found their "one", you know?

But I agree that it's embarrassing... I don't think I could ever go, especially considering that (from what I hear) it's older singles anyway, so I'd probably be the youngest one there... which would be weird.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well i don't think the purpose of singles ministry is to get a date or find a date. I think the purpose is to help you to be who Christ wants you to be at this time in your life. But I do think attending single's ministries is awkward. Because everyone assumes that you are there to find someone and that because you are there you are desperate for anything. And along with that attitude you find people there that won't do anything about themselves- better themselves spiritually or improve physically (take care of themselves), b/c they are in the mentality that everyone there wants to date them. I think singles ministries can aid people in meeting new people and that God can use it to bring people together. But, some people take the focus off God and put it on themselves and who they can date out of the group. jmo. I don't like going to the group at my church b/c there is no one there around my age and i don't like being hit on by 40 year old men. I think it's natural to be interested or curious in if there is anyone there for you, but to make it your main focus and drive to go to a church group is just weird to me.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Nah, at this point nothing about being single and looking for a mate embarasses me anymore. I'm pretty vocal about it. Not in a desperate sort of way, but just honest. "Yeah, I'm single. Yeah, I've got my eyes open for someone. If you know of anyone you might want to set me up with, please let me know."

But none of the churches in my area have a singles ministry. :sigh:

Upvote 0
S

SonicBOOM

It might be a little awkward,but I wish we had one at my church because there's not a lot of people my age that go there and it seems to be really hard to find Christian friends,male or female.

it seems 20 year old Christains are a dying breed..... and who can blame alot of us?? Churches focas on children, teenagers, and age 40+. age 20-30 is not included often times or is included very seldom.

Upvote 0

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
it seems 20 year old Christains are a dying breed..... and who can blame alot of us?? Churches focas on children, teenagers, and age 40+. age 20-30 is not included often times or is included very seldom.

sucks cause 20-30 yrs/old is the next wave of potential leadership.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tylorick

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
✟8,904.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
yeah..... i agree with you on that one.... my church has nothing for young adults.. in fact i'm one of the few 20-30 yr range that attend my church regularly.. i visited another church this week, just to see what they had to offer.. and they really don't have much to offer either... I think you are right about the 20-30 yr range being a hard group to get a ministry together for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
yeah..... i agree with you on that one.... my church has nothing for young adults.. in fact i'm one of the few 20-30 yr range that attend my church regularly.. i visited another church this week, just to see what they had to offer.. and they really don't have much to offer either... I think you are right about the 20-30 yr range being a hard group to get a ministry together for.

Everything in my area for that age-range is "young marrieds." :sigh:

Upvote 0

VictoriousSpirit

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 1, 2006
California
✟32,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think it's awkward to attend a singles ministry? As in a group of church which consists of Christian singles.

I just think of the idea of going to a singles ministry as extremely embarrassing and exposing. It's like saying, "here I am to find a date!"

What do you guys think?
I have felt that way too. So I usually stick to the women's ministries or Career (college and above) age ministries.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship

What do you guys think?

this has came to my mind, with me being single now, and sometimes i think about starting to go to church again, even though it'll only be Roman Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox. i'm personally done with the Protestant churches.

but i've thought about like single's ministry. honestly? i won't go. because i don't need any ministry to minister me in my single life. i don't have a problem with being single, and the last thing i'm going to do is get into sexual/physical/lust nonsense.

the only thing i'm fixing is the way i take care of myself, my apartment, and that doesn't take church/ministries to fix. just takes a mirror. and no church can help to move on from the past relationships to make single life better or to prepare myself for the religious americain dream. when your desires aren't love, family right now, and when you know your moving on just fine from the failures of past relationships, i figure, there is no ministry a church has to offer for me a single.

but then again, if i don't go back to church, this was a nice mental exercise :D

Upvote 0

wildthing

Legend
Apr 9, 2004
somewhere in Michigan
✟23,757.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican

So true. I was invloved with group that was in there 20-30s at church we had about 200 members at one time. Today the same group has 40 members. The church refused to get a minster for the group.(I come from a rather large EPC church)

I was just told that my 30-40 group will be merging with singles in their late 50's-70's. This came from the elders of my church. The Elders said that we don't want to have two different groups that are both singles. After all you are all alike.

So now I'm looking for a new church.

Upvote 0

swee

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
✟15,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Praise God, our church has a thriving young adults (20-30) ministry and social network (will I get kicked out next year, I wonder?). It's not just for singles, though; I'd say it's 50/50. I think I'd feel a bit like I was speed dating if it was a specific singles ministry.

Upvote 0