spiersdodgerblue

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2007
✟18,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm an NRA member so i am very suspicious of this question.:)

i'll answer yes anyway, but i believe in gun control very strongly. In fact, I think i'm the only one who should have them. pretty sure most of mine would be illegal if i lived in California, that's why i live in a free state.
And your thinking.......what, that this has stopped anyone in that state???? Being illegal that is...^_^

And I'm sure you too, are even governed by rules. ;)

As for guns in my home, No.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Well, I would define a perfect society as one in which man never entered a fallen state. In Eden, we were vegetarians. And, if we were without sin, we would never kill or be killed. Thus, there would be no need for guns. And, if there were no need for guns, there would be no reason to have invented them. :p

But, I don't think that bubbles was thinking quite to that extreme in making this comment.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It hinges on how you view guns. If you view them as criminal objects incapable of anything good..then I suppose you could make that claim.

I see them no different than a hammer, nail gun, table saw, or any other tool. It would be like saying in a perfect world we would not need a means to build shelter's. What about building a swing set, or a slide? These are not "needs" but they make life more enjoyable and God is not against that at all. So, we can be in a perfect world and still develop and use such tools to make life more enjoyable.

Now, let's imagine sin did not enter the world. Man was left in charge of creation. Eventually herds need to be thinned. It is a matter of proper wildlife natural resource management. Plus, God never said that man was not allowed to eat the animals. It stands to reason man should be, and would be, allowed to develop tools necessary for maintaining creation and just making life easier.

anyways...back to the comment.....comparable statements:
In a perfect world there would be no chocolate.
In a perfect world there would be no swimming pools.

See...none of these things are inherently bad. What is bad is how we use them and that depends solely on the person using them. However, in a perfect world we may still have these things, we would just be guaranteed that they would always be used for good and noble purposes and not abused, misused, or otherwise used as instruments of harm.

Upvote 0

silence_dogood

Apr 26, 2010
✟2,144.00
Faith
Calvinist
I guess I should have elaborated a bit. Here's the key point: we don't live in a perfect society!

I am still curious though. In a perfect world, what WOULD be the point of guns? What is the specific purpose of this tool exactly?

Recreation. Entertainment. Hunting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Texan40

seeking wisdom
Feb 8, 2010
Houston, TX
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I should have elaborated a bit. Here's the key point: we don't live in a perfect society!

I am still curious though. In a perfect world, what WOULD be the point of guns? What is the specific purpose of this tool exactly?

Guns are weapons created to inflict bodily damage. I don't think there is any grey area there. They are useful tools in hunting and can even be recreational in target shooting but they were invented and designed as weapons of war. As with any inanimate object, however, what we do with it once it exists is perhaps a greater concern than why it was initially created.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

It hinges on how you view guns. If you view them as criminal objects incapable of anything good..then I suppose you could make that claim.

I see them no different than a hammer, nail gun, table saw, or any other tool. It would be like saying in a perfect world we would not need a means to build shelter's. What about building a swing set, or a slide? These are not "needs" but they make life more enjoyable and God is not against that at all. So, we can be in a perfect world and still develop and use such tools to make life more enjoyable.

Now, let's imagine sin did not enter the world. Man was left in charge of creation. Eventually herds need to be thinned. It is a matter of proper wildlife natural resource management. Plus, God never said that man was not allowed to eat the animals. It stands to reason man should be, and would be, allowed to develop tools necessary for maintaining creation and just making life easier.

anyways...back to the comment.....comparable statements:
In a perfect world there would be no chocolate.
In a perfect world there would be no swimming pools.

See...none of these things are inherently bad. What is bad is how we use them and that depends solely on the person using them. However, in a perfect world we may still have these things, we would just be guaranteed that they would always be used for good and noble purposes and not abused, misused, or otherwise used as instruments of harm.

It's an interesting trip down philosophy lane, but all of the reasons that you give why guns would be needed point to an imperfect world. In a perfect world, we would not have hammers, nail guns, and table saws, either. We wouldn't need them, as we wouldn't be left to meet our needs by the fruit of our toil. Tools exist to make difficult things easier. If we had never fallen, we would have no difficult things in need of doing.

My point is not that guns are inherently bad, just that they would be unnecessary "in a perfect world" as would most technological innovations. IOW, I am just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
D

dies-l

In a perfect world you would not want extra's? You will note I was not addressing needs...but wants.

I'll leave you to be difficult then.

In all honesty, having never lived in a perfect world, it's difficult to speculate. But, I think it's fair to say that if you take out that one little sin (and every little sin thereafter), the world becomes a VERY different place.

Upvote 0