Do we need a national Ban on Pit Bulls? Baby mauled by two pit bulls.

Zoooma

Hating Living :(
Mar 15, 2010
Hudson River Valley, NY
✟19,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
by me said:
I'd favor people needing a PARENTING license before needing a license to have a pit bull.
but unless you have forced reversible sterilization, it's going to be a bit hard to keep people from sleeping around.

Or would you just either terminate unlicensed pregnancies or take them away when they're borne?
I'm not saying i am for a license to parent . . . but do you realize people need a license to cut hair? And in some places to be a florist? The suggestion of a license to have a pit bull just made me realize how many CHILDREN are hurt by parents each and every day, week in and week out, some murdered and many messed up for life . . . yet how many pit bulls hurt kids compared to parents? More or less? A LOT less.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
MURRIETTA, Calif., April 8 (UPI) -- A 6-month-old baby was mauled by two pit bulls as he sat strapped in a carrier in an apartment his mother was visiting in California.

The dogs bit the boy in the scrotum, removing his testicles, the Riverside (Calif.) Press-Enterprise reported. Murrieta, Calif., Police Sgt. Bob Landwehr said the dogs -- a 5-year-old pit bull and an 8-month old pit bull mix, both females -- first ripped off the infant's diaper.

Baby mauled by two pit bulls - UPI.com
No we need a national ban on idiots. Pit bulls get a bad rap because idiots raise them to be aggressive and abuse them for and in dog fights. Get rid of the idiots, keep the pit bulls.

Reactions: IreneAdler
Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm really not kidding. A properly bred pit bull will have bite-inhibition toward humans. It will show extreme aggression toward dogs and they also exhibit what's called "gameness" which is their drive to keep going and going despite injury, exhaustion, pain, etc. This is why many terriers were used in fieldwork for dragging badgers out of holes and the like. While another dog might shy away once they're hurt a lot of terriers won't. The pit bull is a terrier.

A cold hard fact. I've had pits, had to pull them off other dogs in a dog fight, my dog never bit me on accident or purpose, even when I was draggin hiim from a fight by his hind legs.

The thing is, people don't dislike pitbulls; people just dislike the owners of pitbulls. And it's the owners who usually instill unfavorable temperments in these dogs.

For the most part, they're good dogs. But for alot of the part, they have bad owners.

While the media seizes upon bad apples and owners to demonize these dogs for their own profit, and while there are a lot of thugs that like having these dogs as a status symbol and capabilities when trained with dangerous intent, a majority of the owners are people like me who don't fight their dogs, abuse them, lock them up, chain them up and don't socialize them.

killing dogs because they've hurt and killed humans is far less barberic than killing people to protect a dog

The pits I had never hurt anyone. You're not talking about killing only the ones that have mauled people, don't lie to us. You're talking about killing them all, 99% of which haven't hurt anyone.

besides, no one's talking about "dog genocide". just banning them being owned as pets.

And the people who already own them? The people who want to keep owning them? Look at Denver, and tell me that not dog genocide.

Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
either set them free somewhere in the wild or put em in a zoo.

Drop millions of domesticated dog off in the country so they can kill eachother, hunt down natural wildlife, kill farm livestock, kill other pets, and possibly maul anyone they come in contact with simply out of desperation, fear, survival, or hunger.

I hear a lot of stupid ideas while debating. That one is top of the list for this year, so far.

then how about tougher restrictions on pits? just like how Sigfried & Roy own a tiger, but are not allowed to take that tiger into a public place, nor be kept in a place where it could possibly come into contact with another person accidently.... maybe the same should be done with pits.

Your ignorance of dogs is painful. What you're talking about is keeping them completely isolated with no contact with anyone but the owner, which is exactly how you make a killer. It doesn't matter the breed, an unsocialized dog is the most dangerous dog there is.

wait...so you believe that owners of tigers are being legislated to death, because of the laws? you'd prefer they'd be treated with the same freedom as a weiner dog? because if so, there'd be even more deaths if things went your way.

Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years. Tigers, not so much. Might wanna work on a better comparison.

as I said, there's a reason why certain animals, like tigers, lions, rhinos, etc., have heavy restrictions as pets. that reason is because of the danger. pitbulls maybe shouldn't be banned, but be put on a list of dangerous animals that have heavier restrictions than other animals.

Except most of them aren't dangerous. And how do you propose to regulate a dog when you really can't identify the dog you want to regulate.

FYI, a "pitbull" is not a dog breed.

You're really no different than some anti gunner who has never even seen one outside of Hollywood going on about the horrors of gun ownership.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Zoooma

Hating Living :(
Mar 15, 2010
Hudson River Valley, NY
✟19,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(one uses sharp implements and chemicals that can blind people on someones head/face... the other brings in possibly invasive species that could wipe out an ecosystem... tad different than a dog wouldn't you say?)
I wouldn't say at all. If you're justifying those licenses, there are PLENTY of other professions where people can be hurt (or worse) by instruments used in those professions but there's no license needed. More people get hurt and/or killed by mistakes in a wide variety of unlicensed professions but none killed by a barber or hair stylist and no one's getting hurt from someone arranging an FTD bouquet for Mother's Day. And there are PLENTY of things a parent does that can harm a child yet there's no license for that. Far more harm to kids from parents than to people from pit bulls. I say license everything or nothing, preferably nothing.

Upvote 0

The Penitent Man

the penitent man shall pass
Nov 11, 2009
Clarkson, Ontario
✟16,654.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I had a Golden Lab named Carly who was put down a few years ago. :(

Not a mean bone in her body but untrainable, incorrigible. We all miss Carly. If I get into heaven, will Carly be there? Would Carly be included in my experience of heaven if she was dear family member to me?

If I meet my dog in heaven, I realize that it doesn't necessarily mean that she is in heaven herself. (Animals are not eligible for spiritual salvation as we understand it.) Just that she is included in my experience of heaven because Carly is a fond memory.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I had a Golden Lab named Carly who was put down a few years ago.

Not a mean bone in her body but untrainable, incorrigible. We all miss Carly. If I get into heaven, will Carly be there? Would Carly be included in my experience of heaven if she was dear family member to me?

If I meet my dog in heaven, I realize that it doesn't necessarily mean that she is in heaven herself. (Animals are not eligible for spiritual salvation as we understand it.) Just that she is included in my experience of heaven because Carly is a fond memory.

AFAIC, anything that dreams has a soul. I believe there is some sort of afterlife for animals.

Upvote 0