Do we need a national Ban on Pit Bulls? Baby mauled by two pit bulls.

IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
yes, it's called hold the PERSON WHO OWNS THE DOG responsible for damages associated with the dog. We do that now. We charge them with crimes. I'm not sure what else you want to do? We put the dogs that offend down. We press charges. In this case I think the parent should be held responsible too.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well can we legislate responsible pet ownership??? No...same as proper parenting..so thereforth the question becomes what to do about overly agressive dogs?

We can't/shouldn't ban, we can't legislate proper raising/ownership...so what's the solution?
as I said, there's a reason why certain animals, like tigers, lions, rhinos, etc., have heavy restrictions as pets. that reason is because of the danger. pitbulls maybe shouldn't be banned, but be put on a list of dangerous animals that have heavier restrictions than other animals.

btw, you have a cool user name.

Upvote 0

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
as I said, there's a reason why certain animals, like tigers, lions, rhinos, etc., have heavy restrictions as pets. that reason is because of the danger. pitbulls maybe shouldn't be banned, but be put on a list of dangerous animals that have heavier restrictions than other animals.

btw, you have a cool user name.

What kind of restrictions? You know-something was being tossed around in a radio show the other day-just by several members of the dog park amongst themselves...

You have the agressive breed owners that are responsible and the ones that defend the breed no matter what and dont' do anything about it...they came up with an idea to start volunteering to "referee" at the dog park-and giving "warnings" and eventually ask the dog to be removed if it continued showing agression-they even threw "what about a fine" that would go towards an animal charity or park improvements?

Granted-they'de have to jump through a million laws to be allowed to take personal citizenship responsibility (how ironic huh?) but the theory is a good one.

Owners of dogs that DO attack i agree should be held responsible-now charging the parent of a child that got killed (especially if NOT their own pet) seems barbaric at minimum-immoral even. Even if they weren't 100pct pet owner of the year.

Sometimes I wish animal safety, responsible ownership and dangers of irresponsible breeding was something taught even in schools really. But shoot we have irresponsible people breeding children-how on earth do we think we could "restrict" them breeding dogs??

Upvote 0

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...I wonder...how about if it were a requirement for those that wanted to purchase, adopt or own an agressive breed of dog, be required to attend certain safety/dog training courses for the breed or else face a fine? (that would go to rescue organizations/humane society)/ Or volunteer time at a rescue of those breeds? Would that maybe discourage the owners that just get them as status symbols??

I mean right now the humane society I believe (could be wrong) requires you to have your adopted animal neutered/spayed by a certain age or face fines...it was in my contract when I adopted my cat (By the way I prefer this then them spaying/neutering 6-8wk old animals which I find a horrid practice also even if I understand the 'reasoning' benind it). It that a more "reasonable" approach or even doable though?

Upvote 0

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
how about just carry insurance to own a dog since it's a privelage? sounds good to me.

Wait, it's not a right??

LOL-sorry coudln't resist :)

In all seriousness though-to hades with more insurance companies-yet another way for them to profit? NO way. NOW, if it went specifically to rescue organizations, humane society and/or training programs for owners/pets then sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

overit

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
✟17,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the reality is that self responsibilty has gone out the door around here...

Darn communist influence hahahaha :) I blame Obama for Pit bull attacks and agressive dogs, and healthcare, and the lawsuits...darn it! Teehee

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
no buddy. no one's talking about banning dogs. I'm talking about pitbulls.

besides. the average pitbull is dangerous. the average person is not.
The average pitbull is a cuddlemuffin. They have to be trained to be dangerous by bad people.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question-does anyone here believe that instinctually some dogs are more "agressive" then others or are they all on the same playing field?
Chihuahuas man, they're aggressive little demons - some of them.

But sure, dogs are bred for traits, some for looks, some for personality. However, pitbulls get a bad rap. There are some pitbulls and pitbull "types" which have been bred for agressiveness, but those are the exceptions, not the norm.

The reason I looked for a pitbull as my family's first dog is that they are screened at shelters for personality. I needed a particularly gentle dog because my husband grew up without pets and he was bitten when he was a kid (German shepherd). I got a super sweet, gentle dog (except for around varmits like rabbits and squirrels, then her terrier instincts kick in). If my dog were in a fighting society, she'd definitely be the bait dog.

It's absurd to look at a dog and say, "Oh, looks like a pit, therefore it must be aggressive"; that's just ignorant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd favor people needing a PARENTING license before needing a license to have a pit bull.

but unless you have forced reversible sterilization, it's going to be a bit hard to keep people from sleeping around.

Or would you just either terminate unlicensed pregnancies or take them away when they're borne?

Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
the average pitbull is dangerous

I've found that dogs that live in poor neighborhoods are more likely to be dangerous. Doesn't matter if they are pits or golden retreavers. When I used to work in Detroit I stayed far away from any of the dogs I seen walking around. Crazy wolf packs of semi feral dogs. In my own city I just watch the dog to see if it looks nice or not and most the time I can say " here doggie" and then pet them because they are really sweet.

Upvote 0

The Penitent Man

the penitent man shall pass
Nov 11, 2009
Clarkson, Ontario
✟16,654.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed.

Pitbull fatalities are preventable, which is what makes them horrific. Pitbulls are dangerous animals but that does not mean these maulings are/were inevitable. A genocide of this breed would be horrific and grossly unnecessary. The two pitbulls across the hall from me wear muzzles so that even they wanted to they could not bite.

Upvote 0