Do we have to keep the commandments in order to go to heaven?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
fulfilling the law is a vastly different activity than following the law

and as Jesus said in the gospel, we must "fulfill" the law in order to surpass the righeousness of the pharisees and "enter" the kingdom.

The fulfillment must be intrinsic to the new identity we receive when we are born again .

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think I'm suffering from a lack of correct words to adequately describe the truth, but I think we're mostly in agreement here!

Amen. it is a very deep subject, and not easy to talk about on the net. God Bless!

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a very crucial point I believe here. Eph. 2:10; "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

One who has the Holy Spirit of God within them are born again, the Love of God is shed abroad in their hearts, love fulfills the commandment. In fact these are the commands of Jesus Christ. Love God, and each other. That means we will obey Him. Faith without works is indeed dead, just as James tells us. These 'works' are not limited to the OT commandments. The NT Christians 'works' will go much, much farther than the Laws contained in the OT. That does not abolish them, but we are not to focus on merely the Laws of the OT.

Keeping those Laws will not save anyone. It took the atonement of Jesus Christ to do that. His blood atonement is how we are saved, we must 'abide' in Him, He is the vine, we the branches. One abiding in Him will bear fruit revealing who we abide in. The Law brings us to Jesus Christ. Only through Jesus Christ can we obey, Rom. 6:15-18. Rom. 7:2-4. Rom. 12:1,2.

So yes, 'faith without works, is dead'. But we also need to realize how we are 'created unto good works'. Not through our righteousness, but through Jesus Christ. We can not be righteous without Him. If we are abiding in Him, the works will come. 'A tree is known by its fruit'. Great subject!

Beautiful Billy. God bless you Sir.

This is the balance that we need. PERF.

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I'm suffering from a lack of correct words to adequately describe the truth, but I think we're mostly in agreement here!

Wait till the MJ's get here.
anim_25.gif

Upvote 0

Kaitlin08

Dec 4, 2010
✟8,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do you believe this verse means yes we are to keep the Ten Commandments in order to get into heaven? What do you think of the Scriptures Frogster and I have quoted previously in this thread? If I may ask, what is your understanding of them?

This topic doesn't seem to be about the ten commandments. My post wasn't about them, at least.

Upvote 0

mbassadoor

my race is almost finished
Jan 28, 2008
northeast
✟7,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we do, then we're saved by works.

If that is so, then it is human effort and religion.

If that is true, then why did Jesus die? That is saying His sacrifice was not enough and we have to add to it.

If we have to add to it, then why Jesus at all? Why not just do good on your own and go to heaven?
and if our works are needed then WE are the masters of our fate and captains of our soul ; not GOD.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a tricky question that lies in the gray area, and this is why I had not responded to this post before then. I will just say we are to follow Him, by denying ourselves, picking up our cross. We are to strive to not sin and to repent for our sins daily. If we indeed are making these efforts, with His mercy, we will be in heaven.

I like Mother Gavrilia's saying on this:

"God often does not desire the act but the intention. It is enough that He sees you are willing to do His command. "

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove Wait till the MJ's get here.
anim_25.gif
joyfully awaiting the circumcision crowd.:clap:
Minus the Orthodox Jews of course [who have their own board] :)

http://www.christianforums.com/t2326272-55/
Of Jews and Messianics

Psalm 22:16 For dogs/03611 keleb have surrounded me, assembly of ones doing evil have encompass me as a lion, hands of me and feet of me.

Philip 3:2 Beware of the dogs!/kunaV <2965> beware of-the evil workers! beware of-the circumcision![Psalm 22:16/Isaiah 56:11]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

from scratch

Hey Froggy :wave:

Nope.

Nope. I'm saying if good fruit does not follow faith then the faith is dead. Therefore if you dont produce good works/fruit (repentance) BY NATURE then your faith is not real faith. If thats the case then you are obviously not justified.

Not fusing anything Frogmeister. We live by faith. (which just so happens to produce good works if genuine).

Good to see you bud.
emoticon-tv-004.gif
Well then what are these good works? Faith says salvation by belief and not works and the law pushers say you gotta observe the law to be saved (works). I find grace and works opposed to each other. Yes I agree that we are created to do good works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Minus the Orthodox Jews of course [who have their own board] :)

http://www.christianforums.com/t2326272-55/
Of Jews and Messianics

Psalm 22:16 For dogs/03611 keleb have surrounded me, assembly of ones doing evil have encompass me as a lion, hands of me and feet of me.

Philip 3:2 Beware of the dogs!/kunaV <2965> beware of-the evil workers! beware of-the circumcision![Psalm 22:16/Isaiah 56:11]

i luv that slappy face thing, in your sig.:D

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If so, please show scripture. Thanks
:wave:

Yes! We must keep the commandments. :holy:
Unfortunatly, I do not have my concordance with me so I can not tell you an exact scripture referance. However, if you look up commandments in the concordance, in the gospels, you will find plenty of Sacred Scriptures.

:angel:

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

:wave:

Yes! We must keep the commandments. :holy:
Unfortunatly, I do not have my concordance with me so I can not tell you an exact scripture referance. However, if you look up commandments in the concordance, in the gospels, you will find plenty of Sacred Scriptures.

:angel:
I want to know what commandments you're talking about. BTW Strong's concordance is on line. Just google it. I love it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do we have to keep the commandments in order to go to heaven?

Subscribing

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Reve 14:12 Here the endurance of the Saints is, here the ones keeping/throunteV <5083> (5723) the commandments of the God and the faith of Jesus.

Reve 22:14 Happy the ones doing/poiounteV <4160> (5723) the commandments of Him
that it shall be the authority of them upon the wood of the life
and the gates they may be entering into the City.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yab Yum

Veteran
Jul 9, 2008
✟2,916.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Luk 18:18 And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
Luk 18:19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.
Luk 18:20 You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.'"
Luk 18:21 And he said, "All these I have kept from my youth."
Luk 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Keeping the commandments is just the beginning.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Luk 18:18 And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
Luk 18:19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.
Luk 18:20 You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.'"
Luk 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

There is never enough, he had to sell all, and betcha if he did that, the Lord would have found more to prove, he was not justified by law..:p

What happens if you don't keep one. Hell?

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

no, read rom 1;17, from faith to faith, not faith to law.:D

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Behold, I have sent out My witnesses, who cease not from declaring the glory of The Lord their God, they who have the testimony of Jesus Christ and keep the Commandments... Yea, they have been made virgin, washed clean in the blood of The Lamb. Behold, I have set them up as beacons... And though they are lesser lights, they reflect The True Light, which shines upon them and gathers strength within them. They shall burn bright... Gloriously shall they shine for Me in The Day, clothed in The Spirit of God, accomplishing great and mighty exploits, in My name.

from My Hand is Outstretched, The World is Given Up... The Day of The Lord Has Come volume 7
trumpetcallofgodonline.com
So what are the commandments in your quote?

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Is Jesus saying to keep the 10 commandments in order to get to heaven? Since the rich young man went away sorrowful after conressing he did, I would say that this is not so. What did the young man understand that you don't? Do you understand what the young man asked?

Upvote 0