Do We Christians Stand Out?

7angels

Dec 8, 2011
✟10,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the past months I've been battling with the thought that Christians and the church have went astray from the modest dressing the early church practiced. I feel like we have comformed to the world in this espect. There is a great lack of humility in the way we dress, men and women. We seem not to stand out like other religions in this instense like Jews and muslims even though we are called to in the OT and NT. The way we dress is suppose to reflect our beliefs and our longings for christ. Do you see God in the way we dress??? I would like to know everyone's(believers and non believers) thoughts on this. [Please no arguing. I just want this to help me grow stronger in my faith and bring this topic to light for others]
you all make me want to laugh. you are all talking about outward appearances. doesn't the Word tell us to put our trust in God? did not Jesus tell us that we should love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, and mind. also to love our neighbors as ourselves? all other commandments will fall under these 2. if you have these top 2 commandments mastered then go ahead and talk about outward appearances because then you could be actually considered a SAINT. for as Jesus said when His disciples were caught eating without washing their hands is that it is not what goes into the mouth that contaminates but what come out the mouth. so first work on getting your heart sorted out and people will see you for who you really are even without modest dressing.

God bless

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Bolding mine.

A good first step. I'd like the next one that such does not stand out because it is common to all people. But I'll be quite content if I even live to see this become the mark of Christians, or for that matter even just one denomination or any other group.

Ahh, Keith...yes, I do understand where you are coming from. It is quite frustrating.
And, after all, we are just human beings, just like you are...subject to the same pressures as anyone else.
I've heard a good bit about racism today...here in Alabama where I live, it is a HUGE problem.
But for all of that I have known both black and white Christians who do, in spite of everything, try their level best to walk in love for one another. As I said in an earlier thread, my own son got hit in the head by a bottle thrown from a passing car...his offense? Daring to walk down the street with his black friend, who has been practically a brother to him since they were kids.
I'm pretty sure my Christian love slipped a bit when I took him to the emergency room, where it took eight stitches to close the wound.

It's a tough world we live in, and not as easy to "keep ourselves from it" as you might think...

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I live in the campus area of a large liberal university. Provocative dress is not common at all here. Girls dress according to current fashions, which is not immodest imo (although our middle eastern students might think differently).

Upvote 0

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
In the past months I've been battling with the thought that Christians and the church have went astray from the modest dressing the early church practiced. I feel like we have comformed to the world in this espect. There is a great lack of humility in the way we dress, men and women. We seem not to stand out like other religions in this instense like Jews and muslims even though we are called to in the OT and NT. The way we dress is suppose to reflect our beliefs and our longings for christ. Do you see God in the way we dress??? I would like to know everyone's(believers and non believers) thoughts on this. [Please no arguing. I just want this to help me grow stronger in my faith and bring this topic to light for others]

I don't think it is a matter of going astray, so much as it is a matter of taste and possibly maturity.

There are some Christian sects that stand out because of their dress, but it is not the modesty of their dress, as much as it is the style of dress that makes them stand out.

Upvote 0