Do We Christians Stand Out?

oagh

Aug 29, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the past months I've been battling with the thought that Christians and the church have went astray from the modest dressing the early church practiced. I feel like we have comformed to the world in this espect. There is a great lack of humility in the way we dress, men and women. We seem not to stand out like other religions in this instense like Jews and muslims even though we are called to in the OT and NT. The way we dress is suppose to reflect our beliefs and our longings for christ. Do you see God in the way we dress??? I would like to know everyone's(believers and non believers) thoughts on this. [Please no arguing. I just want this to help me grow stronger in my faith and bring this topic to light for others]

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't say that I dress any different than the average, and I'm ashamed to admit that I've worn a two piece before in the swimming pool. I don't feel good about it, I know I'm supposed to dress modestly, but I have excuses, like I don't want to stand out, and I can't take the heat from wearing long sleeves and pants during summer. For the past three years I've been wearing jeans and baggy t shirts that show from the elbow down to my hands. I keep telling myself that I'll eventually lose weight and then wear long sleeves because then I won't overheat, but it never happens. To be honest, I'm kind of ashamed of myself as a person. I know as a Christian God calls us to follow him, but while other Christians in the world are dying for their belief, I can't even dress more modestly.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I live in Southern Alabama, where it is hot, hot, hot in the summertime. I'm not about to drag around in long skirts or long pants and long sleeves in this heat.
Besides, I believe we ought to stand out by the way we behave, not the way we dress. It is love, the Lord says, that will mark His disciples...not the length of their skirts...

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

oagh

Aug 29, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'll say this. At the local university it is a veritable sea of yoga pants. I'd say people, in general, could do a lot better.
This is kinda what I was hinting at when I said we've conformed to the world. A few years ago yoga pants/leggings were deemed scandalous because of how much they reveal. Now everyone wears them even middle schoolers. I understand its whats in style but just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right. No telling whats going to be the trend in a few years. All I know is the way the church is moving with culture in this instance isnt good.

Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,007.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
We seem not to stand out like other religions in this instense like Jews and muslims even though we are called to in the OT and NT.
To stand out like Muslims we'd have to go around in beekeeper suits. (Well, not all Muslims. Just the ones who care the most about "modesty.")

I'm not an expert on this kind of thing. Does the Bible describe how Jesus dressed?

Upvote 0

oagh

Aug 29, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I live in Southern Alabama, where it is hot, hot, hot in the summertime. I'm not about to drag around in long skirts or long pants and long sleeves in this heat.
Besides, I believe we ought to stand out by the way we behave, not the way we dress. It is love, the Lord says, that will mark His disciples...not the length of their skirts...
I feel you on that. No one wants to be hot. I probably should have been more detailed with my post. Im really hitting on sexual, extra revealing clothes. like booty shorts, penciled skirts, yoga pants ect.

Reactions: TheBarrd
Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I feel you on that. No one wants to be hot. I probably should have been more detailed with my post. Im really hitting on sexual, extra revealing clothes. like booty shorts, penciled skirts, yoga pants ect.
Honey, I'm about to turn 65 this October. That's me, in the pic up there...still looking pretty young for my age, but for all that, I'm a bit past the age for booty shorts, or necklines that plunge to the belly button, or any such thing. I wear shorts...above the knee but not to where butt cheeks hang out, (yuck)...and usually a regular tee shirt. The one you see in the picture of me there is one of my favorites...it says "My Lifeguard Is A Jewish Carpenter." You won't usually see me in a dress or a skirt unless I'm going somewhere special, like to church-and then I prefer long dresses or skirts. They just look classier, imho. I never could stand a tight skirt...you can't really move in them. I like to be comfortable. That's why I don't even own a pair of high heels...I hate 'em. My swim suit is one piece, with a skirt, and since I have my own little above ground pool, only my family or extra nosy neighbors get to see me in it.
I agree with you...our younger generation is too sex-oriented.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In the past months I've been battling with the thought that Christians and the church have went astray from the modest dressing the early church practiced. I feel like we have comformed to the world in this espect.
What sort of dress would that be, and how did it differ from what other people in their geographical region were wearing? I don't know much about their practices.

Upvote 0

oagh

Aug 29, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What sort of dress would that be, and how did it differ from what other people in their geographical region were wearing?
Before I answer I want to clarify that im not saying Christians should dress like muslims with long sleeves and long pants. that's what people have been thinking. This post is really about sexual and extra reveling clothing that alot of people are wearing today like booty shorts, penciled skirts, yoga pants/leggings. Im not comparing the actual clothes to early Christian fashion but pointing out that modesty and the way women should adorn them selves was practiced. Today it isnt. we adorn ourselves the same way the world does wich the apostles preached against

Reactions: Larry Smart
Upvote 0

oagh

Aug 29, 2015
✟7,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Culture shouldn't change the way we carry ourselves. we are citizens of christ and our kingdom in heaven not the world. I mentioned muslims and jews because culture has changed around them as well but they have not conformed in that area. They still dress based off of their beliefs not what everyone else is wearing and says is ok.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This post is really about sexual and extra reveling clothing that alot of people are wearing today like booty shorts, penciled skirts, yoga pants/leggings.
Oh. I don't see this as anything new, when you look at human history on a global scale and take every social class into consideration. There have been much more revealing trends.

It's also important to think about why more modest clothing may have been the norm in certain times and places, and why it is that women today feel free to wear a variety of clothing. If you want to ensure that 100% of women are going to dress a certain way, you either have to make it the law or else raise the threat of sexual assault (or other punishments) to such a level that no woman would dare rebel.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Islam and Judaism have some proscriptions for dress, in addition to certain traditional and cultural dress norms. For example Torah commands men to cover their head during prayer in reverence to God, the most well-known form of Jewish headdress that serves this purpose is the kippah, also called a yarmulke.

Christianity doesn't offer anything similar. Though it has been traditional to interpret 1 Corinthians 11 as men should have their heads uncovered while women have their heads covered (hence, the tradition of women wearing veils in church); though interpretation of this passage is diverse.

Clerical dress, varied by culture and tradition, is the closest thing to a distinguished Christian form of dress; though the purpose of clerical dress serves symbolic and liturgical purpose, and when not leading worship something such as the clerical collar in the West provides a way for people to recognize a pastor outside of the liturgical setting. What is worn and how it's worn is not a matter of Christian proscription but rather serves other purposes borne out of various traditions at different points in the history of the Christian Church.

I would argue that the Christian commandment to modesty would mean that we shouldn't be trying to stand out with our appearance. This in keeping with other things the Lord taught, for example when we fast we shouldn't go around saying we're fasting wearing sackloth and ashes in order to appear holy and spiritual to others. Likewise, the Lord teaches us not to engage in long elaborate prayers in public to draw attention to ourselves, but instead to quietly go inside a closet and pray. Of course I'm not suggesting public prayer is wrong, or that wearing ashes is wrong when fasting--but that the intent is to not draw attention to oneself; the focus isn't on us and our spiritual life shouldn't be flashy and involve showmanship. We are called to humility, quietness, and discipline.

I don't see any reason to wear special "Christian clothing" the very idea seems absurd to me. For one, because as already noted there's no such thing as "Christian clothing" (and, yes, I'm saying those really lame Christian t-shirts don't count as "Christian clothing"), and for another we aren't called to stand out. The Lord says we are a light on a hill, not because of the way we dress, what we listen to, or whatever--but by doing good works.

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shard

The Echelon
Oct 19, 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
✟18,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In the past months I've been battling with the thought that Christians and the church have went astray from the modest dressing the early church practiced. I feel like we have comformed to the world in this espect. There is a great lack of humility in the way we dress, men and women. We seem not to stand out like other religions in this instense like Jews and muslims even though we are called to in the OT and NT. The way we dress is suppose to reflect our beliefs and our longings for christ. Do you see God in the way we dress??? I would like to know everyone's(believers and non believers) thoughts on this. [Please no arguing. I just want this to help me grow stronger in my faith and bring this topic to light for others]

Couldnt tell you I wear jeans and a t-shirt seven days a week.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In Everything we do we are supposed to honor God and give him glory. Im having a hard time seeing how we do that when the clothes we often wear give our bodies the glory. And deep down we know that but we make excuses for it when we should be suffering for his sake.
Islam and Judaism have some proscriptions for dress, in addition to certain traditional and cultural dress norms. For example Torah commands men to cover their head during prayer in reverence to God, the most well-known form of Jewish headdress that serves this purpose is the kippah, also called a yarmulke.

Christianity doesn't offer anything similar. Though it has been traditional to interpret 1 Corinthians 11 as men should have their heads uncovered while women have their heads covered (hence, the tradition of women wearing veils in church); though interpretation of this passage is diverse.

Clerical dress, varied by culture and tradition, is the closest thing to a distinguished Christian form of dress; though the purpose of clerical dress serves symbolic and liturgical purpose, and when not leading worship something such as the clerical collar in the West provides a way for people to recognize a pastor outside of the liturgical setting. What is worn and how it's worn is not a matter of Christian proscription but rather serves other purposes borne out of various traditions at different points in the history of the Christian Church.

I would argue that the Christian commandment to modesty would mean that we shouldn't be trying to stand out with our appearance. This in keeping with other things the Lord taught, for example when we fast we shouldn't go around saying we're fasting wearing sackloth and ashes in order to appear holy and spiritual to others. Likewise, the Lord teaches us not to engage in long elaborate prayers in public to draw attention to ourselves, but instead to quietly go inside a closet and pray. Of course I'm not suggesting public prayer is wrong, or that wearing ashes is wrong when fasting--but that the intent is to not draw attention to oneself; the focus isn't on us and our spiritual life shouldn't be flashy and involve showmanship. We are called to humility, quietness, and discipline.

I don't see any reason to wear special "Christian clothing" the very idea seems absurd to me. For one, because as already noted there's no such thing as "Christian clothing" (and, yes, I'm saying those really lame Christian t-shirts don't count as "Christian clothing"), and for another we aren't called to stand out. The Lord says we are a light on a hill, not because of the way we dress, what we listen to, or whatever--but by doing good works.

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

-CryptoLutheran

Well if people are wearing jeans which are so tight around their nether parts they
are standing out ;They would be more modest naked ,and t-_shirts stretched over the lumps to show everything .It is meant to attract sexual attention ,and many people I know in Europe who do not call themselves christians, would not be seen dead in
some of the short shorts, which show their bottoms .
Clothes do matter when in Public, if not in private . If God did not care He would not have made such a beautiful world, a world so beautifully organised . I sometimes think that an awful lot of American christians especially, think God is a sloppy anarchist
just like themselves .

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't say that I dress any different than the average, and I'm ashamed to admit that I've worn a two piece before in the swimming pool. I don't feel good about it, I know I'm supposed to dress modestly, but I have excuses, like I don't want to stand out, and I can't take the heat from wearing long sleeves and pants during summer. For the past three years I've been wearing jeans and baggy t shirts that show from the elbow down to my hands. I keep telling myself that I'll eventually lose weight and then wear long sleeves because then I won't overheat, but it never happens. To be honest, I'm kind of ashamed of myself as a person. I know as a Christian God calls us to follow him, but while other Christians in the world are dying for their belief, I can't even dress more modestly.

I doubt that in a swimming pool that anyone noticed at all .It is the intention which is a problem . In very hot countries people wear less ,but one can tell when someone is attention seeking . Stop feeling ashamed of yourself . The fact that you do, indicates you're inherent goodness .Those who are 'proud' of their sloppiness etc are carelesss ; could care less and are proud of it, in a narcissistic way ,as though it was something to be proud of

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,590.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Bolding mine.

A good first step. I'd like the next one that such does not stand out because it is common to all people. But I'll be quite content if I even live to see this become the mark of Christians, or for that matter even just one denomination or any other group.

Upvote 0