• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

do u think aspies are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uniquetadpole

I have no problems, just challenges!
Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
Fionaban...

you are only as useless as you choose to be... it is up to you to simply be who God wants you to be...by listening to him daily. He will do the rest. Aspies are one of His special creations... he put us here on this earth to see the world as NT's can not. You have gifts... and they will be revealed to you when YOU are ready to actually see them...and not before. God is preparing you for something outstanding...what? I have no clue... but it is your choice to trust Him on this or you can fight Him...that is up to you...and only you. the odd part of your question is that I play with the idea of what exactly does useless mean? Think about it... to say something is useless...well that in an of itself makes it very useful... useful how you ask? well by making you think about it being useless...gives it a purpose. Fi - I have not been on here much lately...it is hard for me to get internet access anymore...I am in trauma recovery and am fighting my social and communication issues everyday with NT therapists... but the one thing I realized this week is that it really is not worth fighting them on something they can not see... rather... I need to simply be me...and let God give them the new vision...and when I began to do this...I think we all got a new pair of glasses to wear. Perception is a funny thing... it is a very narrow way of looking at life... but the best part is...when you begin to experience new glasses in which to view the world... you get to be a kid again...and enjoy the childlike wonder that God granted each of us and we have chosen to put it away in order to "fit in" with this world. I hope to get better and better at remembering to change my glasses at every challenge he lays in front of me... I will never be perfect at it...but I WILL get better at it everytime I am challenged.

See... just by posing this question you have revealed to me just what I needed to see. You are so far from being useless... I would love to see you truely try to be useless...and see how far you get...LOL. God does have a purpse for you...or He would never have created you to begin with... it is up to you to embrace Him...and let Him show you which glasses it is time to wear.

hugs,
Tad

Upvote 0

chadders

Jul 17, 2006
✟16,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
People with AS are far from useless. Einstein... was he useless? He discovered E=MC^2.

You have a self esteem issue and if you continue to linger on what is negative about AS instead of focusing on the much greater positives, you are going to have a real problem in life.

God bless you.

- Chadders.

Upvote 0

drifter5

Dec 6, 2006
✟16,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that it is alright to feel down and struggle, sometimes. God understands us completely , and He loves us with a perfect compassion. God is always there for us , and He loves us to share what is on our hearts with Him. Each one of us will struggle sometimes, after all. Psalm 46 v1 : " God is our refuge and strength , a very present help in trouble. "

Upvote 0

chadders

Jul 17, 2006
✟16,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Chadders- you mention Einstein , not everyone with A.S. has savant abilities . In fact , according to statistics , only about one in a thousand people with A.S. do . We are all precious , and useful in God's sight , no matter how intellectual, (etc.)
Two things, first of all I point out Einstein because he is the perfect example of someone who failed schooling but made fame, the second reason is to show that Aspies are not useless... in fact everyone AS or NT alike are only successful if they try and be successful.

- Chadders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drifter5

Dec 6, 2006
✟16,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd just like to add that Asperger's is a condition---it is not WHO you are. You may be afflicted with it, but it you are not an "aspie" as I have seen typed here. You are a wonderful creation hand-designed by God Himself. You have talents and abilities that maybe only He knows right now, but you are uniquely made by God Himself. He has a plan and a purpose for all of us, Asperger's or not.
I disagree with this. I believe that my autism is part of who i am. It effects all of my thinking, behaviour, character, etc. It is not some separate condition, say for example like depression, perhaps, or anxiety.:o I do agree that we are all made equally and wonderfully by God . EACH ONE OF US IS SO PRECIOUS TO GOD.

Upvote 0

createcoms

Mar 13, 2006
Hamilton, New Zealand
✟15,174.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thats just semantics drifter5 so you can hardly disagree. Both you and "faithgoeson" are of the view that you are unique and important to God.

You perceived that "faithgoeson" was attempting to discount the imposing nature of AS in your life which was not the case rather that whilst you do find yourself in the Autistic Spectrum you are still one very unique, separate to all others in so many ways, special limited edition (1 produced in all of history) creation of God! There was no discounting of your AS, just promotion of your individuality which is important!

Upvote 0

drifter5

Dec 6, 2006
✟16,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My autism is also part of my individuality.I do not see the autism itself as an affliction. I am proud of being an aspie/my autistic brain. I am not ashamed of it - why should i be ? I do not believe that my autistic brain is inferior. Why should someone with autism have to change their, equally valid, way of thinking to fit in with society, etc.

Upvote 0

createcoms

Mar 13, 2006
Hamilton, New Zealand
✟15,174.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
When you exist in a society, there are expectations, responsibilities, rules etc. Now if you struggle to obey some of those, at least in the context of Autism there is a sympathetic element which will tolerate you but the idea of having an attitude that says you will not even bother to try to fall in line is beginning to sound like Anarchy don't you think?

And once again, no one here is suggesting you should be ashamed of being autistic - where you get this implication in any of the texts is beyond me.....

Upvote 0

drifter5

Dec 6, 2006
✟16,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because i said that i am not ashamed of my autism , does not mean that i was implying that anyone is suggesting that i should be ashamed of it. I was simply stating how i feel, that
is all . Also, i am not saying that i think those with autism should disobey the rules that are important in society. I am refering to the fact that we should all be allowed to be individuals , and not be pressurised into following the crowd. I apologise, but i am not always good at explaining what i mean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.