• Definetely not

• Yes I think so

• That's a hard one to answer

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well, when I hear Christians refer to our Lord Jesus Christ, our Almighty God as "daddy", I wonder at times do they call those words "idle words". In His Word, HE is referred to as God, Lord God, God Most High, Almighty God, Eternal God, Living God, God of hosts, Lord of hosts, Holy One, Mighty God, God of Heaven, Heavenly Father, King eternal, etc., etc., but NO "daddy".

“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Family status is not the issue.

I am sure angels have more respect than to use baby language. I do not think God would object to angels using the same language we do, but 'daddy' is a bit far fetched, to be honest. I know 'daddy' is sometimes claimed as the translation for 'Abba' but in my view this is erroneous. Father, maybe; Daddy, not unless the angel is a toddler.

I don't see God slapping angels down if they address him as Father. That makes no sense whatever. You might parallel it with the Roman church. Only Romans are expected to address priests as, 'Father' but the rest of us are perfectly at liberty to show respect by doing the same. No priest would say, 'You can't call me Father, you are not one of my children.' And what is true of a priest is true of God.

He is happy to be addressed as Father, in other words. Firstly by his Son, then by us, and then by the angels. And why not? Is this not who he is? :)

Meanwhile, the name by which Angels know God is El, just in case anyone is interested. That is why almost all angel names that we know end in El; each angel is named after an attribute of God/El. But I don't think they call him by his first name. That would be even worse than them saying daddy, imo.

Very well said! :thumbsup:

I don't know what they call him either but they do have the right to call him Father just like we do.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, when I hear Christians refer to our Lord Jesus Christ, our Almighty God as "daddy", I wonder at times do they call those words "idle words". In His Word, HE is referred to as God, Lord God, God Most High, Almighty God, Eternal God, Living God, God of hosts, Lord of hosts, Holy One, Mighty God, God of Heaven, Heavenly Father, King eternal, etc., etc., but NO "daddy".

“When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”

Quite right. Makes me cringe just to think of it. :wave:

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Okay I know you guys don't believe that the angels call God Father, but this addresses a lot of the reason why we should not worship angels, we should not forget they are not sons of God. Heresy comes in when Christians start to give them a place that is not theirs, they are sent to minster to us. I have been conscious of angels being present in a gathering and even at home at times but surely knowing angels are watching over us at all times is more a reason for us to say "Thank you Father"
for He sends the angels to watch over and protect us and to minister unto us. Dr MarK Stibbe has written several books and is excellent in preaching on the Father's heart of God.
So the point of this exercise was to make us think twice about getting too carried away with angels.

Amen! There is far too much angel worship going on. I can't stand it--all the pics of sweet baby-looking things (supposed cherubim) or blonde female forms with gowns and wings. Yuck.

Angels are not sons. They are of the order angelic and serve the Lord God of Hosts. Pulling them to our level is wrong, as we will be commanding them one day. They are not our brothers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Family status is not the issue.

Meanwhile, the name by which Angels know God is El, just in case anyone is interested. That is why almost all angel names that we know end in El; each angel is named after an attribute of God/El. But I don't think they call him by his first name. That would be even worse than them saying daddy, imo.

Ahem...almost being the operative word ;). The name "Lucifer" comes to mind... ^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ahem...almost being the operative word ;). The name "Lucifer" comes to mind... ^_^^_^^_^

NaLuvena, Lucifer is Latin, in fact it's the only Latin word or name in the English Bible. His Hebrew name is Helel, HUH! there that "el" is! ;)

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NaLuvena, Lucifer is Latin, in fact it's the only Latin word or name in the English Bible. His Hebrew name is Helel, HUH! there that "el" is! ;)

oops...!!!!

My "pre-conceived" notion got me :doh:I never knew that...thanks Neph:thumbsup:

BTW...I thought Caesar was another Latin name/word in the bible...or is there a Hebrew equivalent for that?

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
oops...!!!!

BTW...I thought Caesar was another Latin name/word in the bible...or is there a Hebrew equivalent for that?
:D, I think "Caesar" is the english translation of the Greek word. I'm not too sure, if not, I do know that Lucifer is the only Latin word in the English OT. :thumbsup:

Oh, and Lucifer is only mentioned in the OT and I think "caesar" is only mentioned in the NT, which was never written in Hebrew until modern times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
oops...!!!!

There are plenty of Anglicised Latin names and words in the Bible. Augustus Caesar, Pontius Pilate, even Luke (Lucius) and Mark (Marcus). I am sure there are more, but these are off the top of my head. :)

Caesar was originally a family name, but became synonymous with imperial power, and later translated into both Czar and Kaiser. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.