Feb 5, 2004
Caught up in the Heavenlies
Visit site
✟24,981.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Okay I know you guys don't believe that the angels call God Father, but this addresses a lot of the reason why we should not worship angels, we should not forget they are not sons of God. Heresy comes in when Christians start to give them a place that is not theirs, they are sent to minster to us. I have been conscious of angels being present in a gathering and even at home at times but surely knowing angels are watching over us at all times is more a reason for us to say "Thank you Father"
for He sends the angels to watch over and protect us and to minister unto us. Dr MarK Stibbe has written several books and is excellent in preaching on the Father's heart of God.
So the point of this exercise was to make us think twice about getting too carried away with angels.

• Friendly
Reactions: Minister JEB
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay I know you guys don't believe that the angels call God Father, but this addresses a lot of the reason why we should not worship angels, we should not forget they are not sons of God. Heresy comes in when Christians start to give them a place that is not theirs, they are sent to minster to us. I have been conscious of angels being present in a gathering and even at home at times but surely knowing angels are watching over us at all times is more a reason for us to say "Thank you Father"
for He sends the angels to watch over and protect us and to minister unto us. Dr MarK Stibbe has written several books and is excellent in preaching on the Father's heart of God.
So the point of this exercise was to make us think twice about getting too carried away with angels.

in addition, in Revelation when John was overwhelmed by the presence and sight of the angel that he fell on his knees, the angel admonished him not to worship him.

the Bible tells us this. God Himself is warning us to have no other gods before Him....

are we listening?

...for those who have ears to hear.....

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

irenemcg

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
Caught up in the Heavenlies
Visit site
✟24,981.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
This is a study I done a while back on angels THE MINISTRY OF ANGELS

(Heb 1:14) Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?

1. Angels attend and worship God. The basic activity of angels appears to be gathering around the throne of God and proclaiming His worthiness, singing His praises.

(Mat 18:10) "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

(Rev 5:11) Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands

2. Angels protect God’s people. We can read of numerous instances of angels delivering heroes, such as Daniel and Peter, from threatening situations.

(Dan 6:22) My God sent His angel and shut the lions' mouths, so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O king, I have done no wrong before you."

(Act 5:19) But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said,

All believers in Christ are objects of angelic concern (Heb. 1:14).

3.Angels guide God’s people. Angels directed the women to see the empty tomb and told Jesus’ disciples He was risen

(Mat 28:5) But the angel answered and said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified.

(Mat 28:6) He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

(Mat 28:7) And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you."

An angel guided Philip to the desert where he met the Ethiopian eunuch

(Act 8:26) Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is desert.

An angel assured Paul that he would reach Rome safely.

(Act 27:23) For there stood by me this night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve,
(Act 27:24) saying, "Do not be afraid, Paul; you must be brought before Caesar; and indeed God has granted you all those who sail with you.'

They probably guide many Christians who do not realize where their help is coming from.

4.Angels bring judgment on the wicked. Angels participated in the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah

(Gen 19:12) Then the men said to Lot, "Have you anyone else here? Son-in-law, your sons, your daughters, and whomever you have in the city--take them out of this place!

(Gen 19:13) For we will destroy this place, because the outcry against them has grown great before the face of the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it."
They struck down Herod when he received worship.

(Act 12:23) Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died.
They pour out bowls of judgment in Revelation 16.

5.Angels assisted Jesus on earth.
Angels prepared Mary and Joseph for Jesus’ birth.

(Mat 1:20) But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

(Luk 1:26) Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth,

(Luk 1:27) to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin's name was Mary.

(Luk 1:28) And having come in, the angel said to her, "Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!"

They announced Jesus’ birth to the shepherds

(Luk 2:8) Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night.

(Luk 2:9) And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid.

(Luk 2:10) Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people.

(Luk 2:11) For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

(Luk 2:12) And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger."

(Luk 2:13) And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:

(Luk 2:14) "Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"

(Luk 2:15) So it was, when the angels had gone away from them into heaven, that the shepherds said to one another, "Let us now go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us."
They ministered to Jesus after His wilderness temptation.

(Mar 1:13) And He was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan, and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered to Him.

An angel strengthened Him in Gethsemane.

(Luk 22:43) Then an angel appeared to Him from heaven, strengthening Him.

Angels rolled away the rock from the tomb and ministered to the women .

(Mat 28:2) And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it.

(Mat 28:3) His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow.

(Mat 28:4) And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men.

(Mat 28:5) But the angel answered and said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified.

(Mat 28:6) He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

(Mat 28:7) And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you."

Angels were present at Christ’s ascension.

(Act 1:11) who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."

6. Angels will assist Christ at His return. An archangel will announce the return of Christ.
(1Th 4:16) For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.

Angels will gather all believers from the ends of the earth .

(Mat 24:31) And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

They will separate the true from the false.

(Mat 13:39) The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels.

(Mat 13:49) So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just,

(Mat 13:50) and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

They will serve as an honor guard at the gates of the New Jerusalem

(Rev 21:12) Also she had a great and high wall with twelve gates, and twelve angels at the gates, and names written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

7. Angels: Interaction with Humans.

(Dan 6:22) My God sent His angel and shut the lions' mouths, so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O king, I have done no wrong before you."

8. Angels are not to be worshiped. God is to be worshiped

(Col 2:18) Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

9. Angels restrain sin.
In Genesis chapter 19 in Sodom two angels of God changed from the spiritual to the physical (to the appearance of men). They entered Sodom, and went to Lot's house, and they struck the men of Sodom with blindness when the [homosexual] young and old men from all parts of the city demanded to have [sexual] relations with them.

Reactions: importunity
Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One thing we know the angels do is rejoice! When someone comes to God they mightily rejoice! There must be so much rejoicing and celebrating going on in heaven, all the time. When we rejoice, we must be sharing in the angels joy.:clap: You know that scripture, the angels desire to look into our salvation, the Greek word for "look" there is parakupto, meaning "to stoop to look, look intently, along side".

• Friendly
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Def. not.

Angels are ministering spirits for us.

Angels are servants of God.

They do not have family status.
Then why are they refered to as the sons of God if they definatly do not call God daddy or father?

Nope, they are not sons and daughters. To be a Daddy you must have offspring Jesus is the first born of many (Not Angels).

I would've thought a real pastor or minister of the word would have answered this question with a little more insight?

In the Old Testament angels were definatly refered to as sons of God. Why, because they were directly created by God, they did not have human parents. God is their father not because they were his offspring but because they came about through a direct act of creation by the hands of God.

Adam was the only human in the Old Testament who was refered to as a son of God because Adam was created through a direct act of God. In the OT only those who were directly created by God had the right to call God daddy, if they so chose.

It's true that in the New Testament that angels are refered to as ministering spirits. This doesn't mean their sonship was taken away from them but that a theological point is being made. In the New Testament, people are now able to become the sons and daughters of God in spirit, through adoption. In the OT angels were seen as the servants of God, in the NT their rolls were seen as reversed and had become the servants of Man.

:wave: hello

1 Pet. 1:12

John 15:15

Ps. 103:19-22

Ps. 104:4

Heb. 1:14

angels are ministers of God and to whom does the master give His plans to but His friends?

Genesis 6:2, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Genesis 6:4, There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of reknown.

Job 1:6, Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

Job 2:1, Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.

Job 38:4-7, Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

There is nothing in scripture to lead us to believe so.

So, no.
I then suggest you study the passages I just posted and consider that if the angels can be refered to as sons of God, they very well could call God daddy. :)

I don't know if the angels call God daddy but they do have the right to if they chose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why are they refered to as the sons of God if they definatly do not call God daddy or father?

I would've thought a real pastor or minister of the word would have answered this question with a little more insight?

In the Old Testament angels were definatly refered to as sons of God. Why, because they were directly created by God, they did not have human parents. God is their father not because they were his offspring but because they came about through a direct act of creation by the hands of God.

Adam was the only human in the Old Testament who was refered to as a son of God because Adam was created through a direct act of God. In the OT only those who were directly created by God had the right to call God daddy, if they so chose.

It's true that in the New Testament that angels are refered to as ministering spirits. This doesn't mean their sonship was taken away from them but that a theological point is being made. In the New Testament, people are now able to become the sons and daughters of God in spirit, through adoption. In the OT angels were seen as the servants of God, in the NT their rolls were seen as reversed and had become the servants of Man.

Genesis 6:2, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Genesis 6:4, There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of reknown.

Job 1:6, Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

Job 2:1, Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.

Job 38:4-7, Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

I then suggest you study the passages I just posted and consider that if the angels can be refered to as sons of God, they very well could call God daddy. :)

I don't know if the angels call God daddy but they do have the right to if they chose.

Hi again,

I don't think the "sons of God" who came and married the daughters of man and beget the Nephilim, were angels. I think they are exactly who they are, the sons of God.

I have a pet theory about them. Pet theory, because it is a theory of mine, that I cannot prove, and as such, cannot produce evidence for.

It goes something like this:

God is a Spirit, who exists outside of Time. (This point is very important if you want to grasp this).

When He created light and separated it from darkness, and called the light Day, and the morning Night, and the evening and morning was the 1st day, He also created Time then. Before then, there was no such thing as Time.
As God created Time, He must exist independent, or outside of it.

Once you grasp this, you can immediately see where all the other attributes of God come from or are possible.

Omnipotent - God is omnipotent because when He works, He is not bound by Time. If God wants to move a mountain, it doesn't take Him any time to do so. For an observer bound by Time, this act would seem like a miracle, because it happens in an instant.

Omnipresent - God is omnipresent because as He is not bound by Time, He can be in all places at the same Time.

Omniscient - God is Omniscient, because as He is not bound by Time, He can travel backwards and forwards to different moments in Time to get whatever knowledge He needs. When He tells the serpent "I will place emnity between your seend and her Seed", He has already seen Jesus, and the death and resurrection, because the time factors means nothing to Him.

How does this tie in with the sons of God?

The sons of God then are the same sons of God that the Bible speaks of. We are the sons of God.

Galatians 3:26

You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus,

Now, when Jesus comes to get us, we will be transformed, in a twinkling of a eye, and become like Him, fulfilling Genesis 1:26. (Let us make Man in Our Image, and Our Likeness....).

We will live where God lives, and exist as God exists, OUTSIDE TIME. This is where our eternal life comes from, because we will then exist outside time, and as we are in the image of God, we will also exist independent of time, like God.

So if we are not bound by time then, it would then be a simple matter for some of us to go back to the beginning and sleep with the daughters of man. The only issue I still have to deal with, is the morality one, why would the sons of God sleep with the daughters of man.

Like I said, it's a pet theory. I came up with this as my own explanation of this same piece of Scripture, as I tried to understand it. Feel free to test it, my friend.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi NaLuvena :wave:

Well we odviously disagree, again. :D

Sounds like you got a pretty good preconcieved notion going there. ;)

I don't know if irenemcg wants her thread to turn into a major debate into who the sons of God or nephilim are in the OT. I suggest we take this to the debate forum if you want a full blown debate or discussion on this. Just let me know and I will start it out. :)

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi NaLuvena :wave:

Well we odviously disagree, again. :D

Sounds like you got a pretty good preconcieved notion going there. ;)

I don't know if irenemcg wants her thread to turn into a major debate into who the sons of God or nephilim are in the OT. I suggest we take this to the debate forum if you want a full blown debate or discussion on this. Just let me know and I will start it out. :)

Ready when you are....

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Def. not.

Angels are ministering spirits for us.

Angels are servants of God.

They do not have family status.

Family status is not the issue.

I am sure angels have more respect than to use baby language. I do not think God would object to angels using the same language we do, but 'daddy' is a bit far fetched, to be honest. I know 'daddy' is sometimes claimed as the translation for 'Abba' but in my view this is erroneous. Father, maybe; Daddy, not unless the angel is a toddler.

I don't see God slapping angels down if they address him as Father. That makes no sense whatever. You might parallel it with the Roman church. Only Romans are expected to address priests as, 'Father' but the rest of us are perfectly at liberty to show respect by doing the same. No priest would say, 'You can't call me Father, you are not one of my children.' And what is true of a priest is true of God.

He is happy to be addressed as Father, in other words. Firstly by his Son, then by us, and then by the angels. And why not? Is this not who he is? :)

Meanwhile, the name by which Angels know God is El, just in case anyone is interested. That is why almost all angel names that we know end in El; each angel is named after an attribute of God/El. But I don't think they call him by his first name. That would be even worse than them saying daddy, imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.