Do Orthodox Christians hate Roman Catholicism?

Hello there, this is my first post. I was thinking about converting to either Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholicism- but while browsing the web, I've come across a fight between an Orthodox Christian and a Roman Catholic.

The OC says he has nothing against RC's, but he says that he hates the Vatican because apparently it's evil and it's filled with lies- and he also considers Roman Catholicism heretic. Sooooo... Do Orthodox Christians ACTUALLY hate Roman Catholicism?

God Bless.

Reactions: stevenfrancis

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, I don't believe either side "hates" the other, they just feel very firmly about where the other "went wrong". One thing to remember also: the internet can be a poor representation of any tradition. I've seen the best and the worst of all sides in this place, so just bear that in mind when checking around - and welcome to CF and Traditional Theology!

Upvote 0
No, I don't believe either side "hates" the other, they just feel very firmly about where the other "went wrong". One thing to remember also: the internet can be a poor representation of any tradition. I've seen the best and the worst of all sides in this place, so just bear that in mind when checking around - and welcome to CF and Traditional Theology!

Aah, thank you. So do Orthodox Christians actually think Roman Catholics are heretic?

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Aah, thank you. So do Orthodox Christians actually think Roman Catholics are heretic?

If they do, I would hope they would be far too polite to actually say so. Not everything that is thought has to be said.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Both Churches view the other as being in schism, which is distinct from heresy. Being in schism means that they have some conflicting views which drove them apart but they're not necessarily heretics. I can't speak for either church since I'm neither Roman Catholic nor am I Eastern Orthodox, but I think they perceive each other as having the proper faith, it's just on these points that they are divided (e.g. Papal authority, filioque, etc).

Upvote 0
Both Churches view the other as being in schism, which is distinct from heresy. Being in schism means that they have some conflicting views which drove them apart but they're not necessarily heretics. I can't speak for either church since I'm neither Roman Catholic nor am I Eastern Orthodox, but I think they perceive each other as having the proper faith, it's just on these points that they are divided (e.g. Papal authority, filioque, etc).

Ah, thank you friend. I just don't seem to understand the conflict between the two. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Ah, thank you friend. I just don't seem to understand the conflict between the two. God Bless.

I am not sure anyone really does.

They took separate paths many years ago, and both claim theirs is the right path. I am not sure anyone would be qualified to determine which of them is right; my own view would probably be that the chances are they are both right. But that won't please anyone at all.

Upvote 0
Well both Churches are great, so take your time to research them and experience them and I'm sure you'll find yourself a great home!

I've been a Baptist for all my life, but I've felt like Roman Catholicism is the right choice, thank you.

I am not sure anyone really does.

They took separate paths many years ago, and both claim theirs is the right path. I am not sure anyone would be qualified to determine which of them is right; my own view would probably be that the chances are they are both right. But that won't please anyone at all.

Agreed, God Bless.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello there, this is my first post. I was thinking about converting to either Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholicism- but while browsing the web, I've come across a fight between an Orthodox Christian and a Roman Catholic.

The OC says he has nothing against RC's, but he says that he hates the Vatican because apparently it's evil and it's filled with lies- and he also considers Roman Catholicism heretic. Sooooo... Do Orthodox Christians ACTUALLY hate Roman Catholicism?

God Bless.
Nah. They're just bitter after being on the wrong side for a thousand years. Also, their funny hats make them prone to grumpiness.

Reactions: Dusty Ivory
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,907.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nah. They're just bitter after being on the wrong side for a thousand years. Also, their funny hats make them prone to grumpiness.
Cool hats. You guys are the ones with the funny hats, you admitted so yourself on that other thread ;)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,907.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

God Bless.
I actually have a lot more respect for the Catholics as an Orthodox Christian than I ever did as an Evangelical. That said, I do believe they are in error with regards to the Papacy (universal jurisdiction & infallibility) and with their recent Marian dogmas (immaculate conception & mediatrix of all graces), none of which are truly evident in the early church. I also feel very sad for Latin rite Catholics in the West as the fasting discipline has pretty much been completely done away with, and it is one of the disciplines I have found most beneficial since becoming Orthodox. In Orthodoxy we don't just learn the theory on becoming holy, we are given practical means to actually attain to holiness, and a large part of that has been done away with in Catholicism.

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,729.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'll echo Prodromos - our hats and indeed attire in general [ yes I'm Catholic BUT I'm Eastern Catholic ] are very very cool. We also love bells and smells and we worship using ALL our senses :)

But if you are the sort of person who wants a quick , get it over and done with, to satisfy the 'Sunday Obligation' [ that's an RC Expression - doesn't apply to the East ] then don't come to us - Sunday Liturgy will be at least an hour and often longer , and there may well be a pre-Liturgy Service too :)

No Orthodox Christian worth his salt would say that he hates RCs and nor should an RC say he hates Orthodox Christians .

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll echo Prodromos - our hats and indeed attire in general [ yes I'm Catholic BUT I'm Eastern Catholic ] are very very cool. We also love bells and smells and we worship using ALL our senses :)

But if you are the sort of person who wants a quick , get it over and done with, to satisfy the 'Sunday Obligation' [ that's an RC Expression - doesn't apply to the East ] then don't come to us - Sunday Liturgy will be at least an hour and often longer , and there may well be a pre-Liturgy Service too :)

No Orthodox Christian worth his salt would say that he hates RCs and nor should an RC say he hates Orthodox Christians .
I certainly don't hate orthodox Christians.

I just point out that they're on the wrong side of the Great Schism and that their taste in headwear is questionable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how it's offensive to say that someone is a heretic. It's just a statement as regards that person's position in respect to the sparker's Church. Anybody who thinks everyone is just saying the same thing and we need to ignore differences to be polite…well, that's a very juvenile position, IMO.

Yes, from the Orthodox perspective the Roman Catholics are heretics. It's just a fact. Teachings like Papal authority and infallibility are heretical from the Orthodox perspective. The Immaculate Conception may be as well. There are other teachings too. To say that nobody really understands the difference is rather silly considering brilliant minds on both sides discuss it. Are they just blabbering without understanding what they're saying?

No, Orthodoxy doesn't hate Roman Catholicism, but we do believe she is very mistaken in a lot of different areas.

Upvote 0

Winepress777

Jun 8, 2015
✟8,905.00
Faith
Christian

God Bless.
I'm neither and hate neither.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I actually have a lot more respect for the Catholics as an Orthodox Christian than I ever did as an Evangelical. That said, I do believe they are in error with regards to the Papacy (universal jurisdiction & infallibility) and with their recent Marian dogmas (immaculate conception & mediatrix of all graces), none of which are truly evident in the early church. I also feel very sad for Latin rite Catholics in the West as the fasting discipline has pretty much been completely done away with, and it is one of the disciplines I have found most beneficial since becoming Orthodox. In Orthodoxy we don't just learn the theory on becoming holy, we are given practical means to actually attain to holiness, and a large part of that has been done away with in Catholicism.

I will echo everything Prodromos said. And I do respect Catholics a great deal more as an Orthodox, so as to the OP, no, I wouldn't say there is hate.

But to all of what is quoted, I think another very important distinction is the way in which Catholics view man, God, sin, and salvation. I wish I had a neat, clean way to wrap all that into one label, because they are related. But Orthodox see man as less inherently evil and retaining the image of God (though marred), sin as certainly involving natural consequences but not REQUIRING temporal punishment outside of God's forgiveness (however we DO believe man must be changed - but don't see punishment as the necessary avenue), and these affect our view of salvation and consequently, a slight difference in our view of God.

A Catholic person may say they agree with much of what I've said, but after a great deal of careful study, there are subtle differences in what we are taught.

As a Baptist, you may be more comfortable with Catholicism for these reasons. Essentially SOME of these ideas permeate Protestantism.

But I find the Orthodox faith to be very beautiful, and a wonderful way of seeing the love of God and His infinite ways of caring for us and changing us. It's a bit like walking on a tightrope without even being able to see the rope, when I compare it to all the "spelled out and measured" teachings of Catholicism regarding sin and grace, but those feel legalistic to me (which legalism is actually a comfort to the human understanding - we like to know exactly where we stand!). But the fuller picture of God's grace, love, and mercy make me willing to trust God to do His part in changing me.

I hope that makes sense. I fear it may be very confusing without the understanding it took me hundreds of questions and months of close examination to finally reach.

I consider Catholics my brothers and sisters - it is God who judges and not I - and I get the sense that He is more concerned with the heart of a person. But I dearly love my own Church, and appreciate the very real tools she provides to help us grow in Christ, as well as the vision of God she has finally given me.

Oh, and welcome to CF, and to TT!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't see how it's offensive to say that someone is a heretic. It's just a statement as regards that person's position in respect to the sparker's Church. Anybody who thinks everyone is just saying the same thing and we need to ignore differences to be polite…well, that's a very juvenile position, IMO.

I bow to your greater knowledge of juvenile positions.

Yes, from the Orthodox perspective the Roman Catholics are heretics. It's just a fact. Teachings like Papal authority and infallibility are heretical from the Orthodox perspective. The Immaculate Conception may be as well. There are other teachings too. To say that nobody really understands the difference is rather silly considering brilliant minds on both sides discuss it. Are they just blabbering without understanding what they're saying?

No, Orthodoxy doesn't hate Roman Catholicism, but we do believe she is very mistaken in a lot of different areas.

Sadly unmatched by knowledge in other areas. Never mind.

Upvote 0