Eastern
✟23,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it could have been any female in the Davidic line, just to stay in line with prophesy. You haven't proven that it had to have been Mary. Except maybe she was the only woman in the Davidic line was the right age in the right circumstance at the right time.

Why would it be bad if Mary were merely a surrogate?

No, it's not greatly diminished at all. Adam was fully man, and there is no indication that "fully man" means anything more than being certainly flesh. Jesus is considered a "second Adam," after all.

Everything you're talking about is philosophical corollary that men have devised over time to "fill in" things they have thought scripture forgot to reveal.
No. Under the zygote theory, Mary could be any female. To the Jews, Jesus getting His Davidic tie-in through Joseph was enough.

Mary being a surrogate, in addition to being demeaning to her as a fully fertile woman, would negate the entire history of the Hebrews and the Jews. What do they matter? And, it would erase the meaning of her consent to the Incarnation. It would be a work for hire, right? Nothing personal.

Jesus was the son of Mary, not the surrogate for {what is your theory, here?}

In my fun hypothetical, Jesus is not only connected to Adam via Mary, but also through Joseph. I like that possibility - and it is a possibility.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Given the Statement of Purpose I think this fits. Jesus is fully human and fully God to the Orthodox (me). The Orthodox even say He is the God-man. We know that Jesus got His maternal DNA from His Mother. That leaves the origin of His paternal DNA. Remember - He is fully man.

We know that the Gospels talk about Him having brothers and sisters. This is usually explained as a 1st century term of art which can mean cousin or similar relation. I think there is a citation of Him being similar looking to the Apostle James the Less, his "brother", the first bishop of Jerusalem. And similar references.

We know that given our technology today that humanity leaves its DNA everywhere. And stem cells - creative factors - can be created from various other cells. That is with OUR technology. Today. What if Gabriel, acting from God, found and used Joseph's DNA when He made the invitation/announcement to the Virgin Mary? What if that were the source of Jesus' paternal DNA?

We know that Jesus received His linkage with the House of David through both Joseph's line as well as Mary's line. Mary's was the Royal line, but Joseph was also from the House of David. And tracing Jesus' lineage through Mary was proper according to Jewish Law. If Joseph's DNA was used, then Jesus was fully doubled linked to David. And Jesus truly had brothers and sisters - meaning stepbrothers and stepsisters (edited).

Reaction?
It is impossible to put the biblical account into scientific investigation. In order for Jesus to have a Y-Chromosome, and to generate and develop half of his genome, he would have to have a biological father (whether he got it from Joseph or God gave him one out of nowhere). Mary alone cannot do this.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,100.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In my fun hypothetical, Jesus is not only connected to Adam via Mary, but also through Joseph. I like that possibility - and it is a possibility.
It would be wholly inappropriate for God to use what is essentially discarded human cells for His Son's DNA.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be wholly inappropriate for God to use what is essentially discarded human cells for His Son's DNA.
"Wholly inappropriate" is your own philosophical opinion. It was "wholly inappropriate" for Him in the opinion of others to have Rahab in the Savior's family tree.

Reactions: cradleGO
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,100.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Wholly inappropriate" is your own philosophical opinion. It was "wholly inappropriate" for Him in the opinion of others to have Rahab in the Savior's family tree.
My response was to the OP who is also Eastern Orthodox. In the context of Eastern Orthodox theology, it is inappropriate. I don't have an interest in what various Protestant theologies might have to say.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And Jesus truly had brothers and sisters - meaning stepbrothers and stepsisters (edited).
At best, half-siblings. Same mother, different father.

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟23,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At best, half-siblings. Same mother, different father.
No. I think the consensus of mainline Christians, including the EO, is that Mary had no children after Jesus. So, these would be Joseph's children by his previous wife.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. I think the consensus of mainline Christians, including the EO, is that Mary had no children after Jesus. So, these would be Joseph's children by his previous wife.
I go along with the second wife theory.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is not an EO sub-forum. Scripture does not require Mary to be a perpetual virgin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not an EO sub-forum. Scripture does not require Mary to be a perpetual virgin.
It does, however, correlate with what would have been a definite lack of the respect that Jesus received from His brothers if He'd been the eldest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟23,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You challenge me yet you postulate a second husband to Mary? Where is that scriptural?
What I said was accurate, I believe. Mainline Christians view Jesus' "brothers and sisters" as either cousins or "half-siblings" via Joseph, perhaps both.

Upvote 0

cradleGO

Road Map
Aug 20, 2021
Eastern
✟23,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why inappropriate? On what basis? Humans shed DNA in everyday activities. Joseph's DNA is there with Gabriel and Mary (assuming Joseph took Mary in to his house as 'betrothed', which I think was the Jewish practice).

Nonetheless, Joseph's DNA is both abundant and accessible. And it is no more [ritually] unclean or embarrassing than the billions of bacteria in their colons, and millions in their mouths. This is human life.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,100.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why inappropriate? On what basis? Humans shed DNA in everyday activities.
For the same reason the Gospel books on the altar of the Orthodox Church are clad in precious metal and not the dead skins of animals.

Upvote 0