ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I thought I had an understanding of this: but now I am confused. I hope someone can make this very clear.

In my Marriage, I became a believer and He did not. We divorced, he still rejected and rejects the Lord. ( plz pray for him) I tried to reconcile, he refused. Becuz he doesn't believe I thought I was not bound to him anymore, but came across the teaching that if I remarry, i am in perpetual adultery. That all remarrieds are in adultery! Is this the real answer, that I must reconcile w my ex or remain single. I interpreted the scriptures wrong than.

Plz help, as I was engaged once after divorce. I cannot sin!

Last edited:

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, the adultery is not perpetual. If you find someone you truly love and want to be with and pray to Jesus to let you know if this is the person you should remarry. He will give you an answer. Praying for your ex husband also, I hope this helps! God bless!

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
No, the adultery is not perpetual. If you find someone you truly love and want to be with and pray to Jesus to let you know if this is the person you should remarry. He will give you an answer. Praying for your ex husband also, I hope this helps! God bless!

This is what I thought too as stated in 1 Corinthians 7. That we are not bound to the unbeliever. I pray for him daily and I thank you for your prayers. I do not think God has anyone in mind for me. I stayed single many years.

So, you are certain of this? Because after a recent fall from the Lord, I am doing all I can to follow His ways properly, and that teaching shocked me. There is the doctrine that states only if your spouse was unfaithful can you re-marry.

I cannot disobey God in any way. Ty

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is true that remarriage after divorce is committing adultery, but Jesus died for our sins so that we although imperfect do make mistakes, and once we have Christ's righteousness - it's like our failures have been resolved/reduced to a possible nil, so that we as Christian conquerors can move forward in life supernaturally, knowing that Jesus Christ is right beside us spiritually at all times,
with the supernatural abundance of peace and joy so constantly overflowing - it's like you represent Noah's Ark and The Great Flood that destroyed the wicked represents Christ's abundance of peace and joy, so much so that Satan's power of sinful enemies such as depression and anxiety become like a kindergarten kids toy.;'*';.
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It is true that remarriage after divorce is committing adultery, but Jesus died for our sins so that we although imperfect do make mistakes, and once we have Christ's righteousness - it's like our failures have been resolved/reduced to a possible nil, so that we as Christian conquerors can move forward in life supernaturally, knowing that Jesus Christ is right beside us spiritually at all times,
with the supernatural abundance of peace and joy so constantly overflowing - it's like you represent Noah's Ark and The Great Flood that destroyed the wicked represents Christ's abundance of peace and joy, so much so that Satan's power of sinful enemies such as depression and anxiety become like a kindergarten kids toy.;'*';.
:liturgy:

So shall I forget any remarriage? I do not want take advantage of Gods grace at all! I understand His mercy, and I know many Christians remarry. I guess Im confused at your answer. And Chapmic, if you can kindy express why you think scripturally it is ok? Im not completely doubting, I just want to feel secure that indeed it IS NOT sin.

Ty!

Upvote 0

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is what I thought too as stated in 1 Corinthians 7. That we are not bound to the unbeliever. I pray for him daily and I thank you for your prayers. I do not think God has anyone in mind for me. I stayed single many years.

So, you are certain of this? Because after a recent fall from the Lord, I am doing all I can to follow His ways properly, and that teaching shocked me. There is the doctrine that states only if your spouse was unfaithful can you re-marry.

It sounds like in your case then it would be best for you to stay single, It's like what Paul was saying in the Corinthians if you have the ability to stay single and serve the Lord wholeheartedly go for it. If you feel like remarrying again would become a distraction or lead you to fall from the Lord then do not remarry. If there was another case where you were dating someone and it was a loving holy relationship where he is Christian also then it would be ok for you to remarry. So it does depends on the person's situation. God bless!

Upvote 0

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace.

Yep, this is where I felt it okay. Yet very concerned for his salvation.Ty kindly and Merry Christmas!

But why would some teachers, ignore this passage? Sorry guys, it just floored me yesterday when I googled the subject and thought, " perpetual adultery?" My goodness, I will live alone always as opposed to please my emotions anymore. Life is too short, God too good and I have to continually share the Lord. Ty

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But why would some teachers, ignore this passage?

Sadly, some teachers ignore a lot of passages. Don't forget: teachers are human too, with all human failings. Always compare that which a teacher says, with that which is in the Bible.

Best wishes, and Merry Christmas.

Upvote 0

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It sounds like in your case then it would be best for you to stay single, It's like what Paul was saying in the Corinthians if you have the ability to stay single and serve the Lord wholeheartedly go for it. If you feel like remarrying again would become a distraction or lead you to fall from the Lord then do not remarry. If there was another case where you were dating someone and it was a loving holy relationship where he is Christian also then it would be ok for you to remarry. So it does depends on the person's situation. God bless!

Well, after my singleness, I felt that I was not one capable of going it alone. In fact, Paul states that if you can remain single do, but if you can't, Marry. I tend to thrive spiritually in a Family environment.

Ty for your thoughts. Im not jumping into anything. I just thought, oh dear, when I was engaged was this a sin etc? Lol, okay I think I got it!

Blessings dear friend!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Sadly, some teachers ignore a lot of passages. Don't forget: teachers are human too, with all human failings. Always compare that which a teacher says, with that which is in the Bible.

Best wishes, and Merry Christmas.

Im buying myself a big, nice KJV, and reading it all again myself, praying for Gods help to keep things clear. Too many teachers confuses sometimes!

Ty, friend! :)

Ty all, as I panicked! Lol

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, ladyjazz

There are several issues here.

1. You didn't say who initiated the divorce. But I think from a later reply that it was him. If so, you are in a better position than if it were the other way.

2. The adultery would be perpetual--if it's adultery in the first place.

3. How he treated you because of your religion matters to the answer you are seeking.

4. No, being yoked together unequally does not automatically authorize a divorce and remarriage.

5. St. Paul was not saying that it's better to marry than to burn UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. That verse is universally understood to refer to a first marriage as opposed to remaining celibate.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There has been a lot of very bad teaching about divorce and remarriage for various reasons. One big reason is context. In the Gospels Jesus was addressing a corrupt practice amongst sections of the Jewish people who were misusing some OT teachings.

In 1 Corinthians Paul was addressing some specific groups with wrong views about sex and marriage (amongst other things too). He was not giving universal statements about marriage as such, just correcting some wrong views. Paul never had in mind abuse in a marriage for example.

In NT times a divorced person was free to remarry. Ther marriage had ended. You are not doomed to perpetual singleness. Once broken a covenant becomes ineffective and no longer binding. Thus the New Covenant has now replaced the old one which is what the NT is about.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

My dear, you disobey God all the time, you just don't know it. All of us, every human being, is an infinite distance from God's holy perfection. Our hearts are "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked" (Jer. 17:9). We all go about guilty of a host of sins that operate under our spiritual radar. God will show you tomorrow sin of which you were oblivious today. And this process of sanctifying revelation continues 'til you see your Saviour face-to-face.

Since this is so, I would urge you to avoid orienting yourself toward not disobeying God in any way. Instead, learn to love Him as your Heavenly Father. If you follow the former path, fear, and frustration, and guilt await you upon it. If you will take the latter path, joy and fellowship with God will be your reward.

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ladyjazz

Apr 16, 2014
Michigan USA
✟8,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I really love CF. Truly! Thank you all. I just dated to an engagement ring ( which is called off) and I thought Dear Lord, I did not know! I read your Word and concluded no sin done. And aiki, so true, so true. When I try to be really good and righteous continually, frustration and shame overtake me. But when I just fellowship with Father, much peace comes. However, at times I didn't try my best to do right, and that is sad. This is my/our Father, someone who has shown me much love, provision and hope. He called me to a brand new life. Is so long-suffering and patient. I want Him to be treated with the respect by me. Keeping His commands is very important to me. As they are not burdonsome, as I once thought.

Im a bit overwhelmed ATM. I do not want to talk about who left who or whatnot, as now I understand why God hates divorce- so many get hurt. :(

Ty John, Albion for all the comments, insights and knowledge- CF is special to me.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought I had an understanding of this: but now I am confused. I hope someone can make this very clear.

In my Marriage, I became a believer and He did not. We divorced, he still rejected and rejects the Lord. ( plz pray for him) I tried to reconcile, he refused. Becuz he doesn't believe I thought I was not bound to him anymore, but came across the teaching that if I remarry, i am in perpetual adultery. That all remarrieds are in adultery! Is this the real answer, that I must reconcile w my ex or remain single. I interpreted the scriptures wrong than.

Plz help, as I was engaged once after divorce. I cannot sin!
"And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery." - Matt. 19:9

Jesus did not get more permissive than that according to the New Testament, so if he didn't cheat on you, I have to recommend playing it safe and remaining single unless you both want to get back together again.

Upvote 0