Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I defrag my disk once every 3 months or so. But ideally, you should do it once a month. Running the dfragger should have no ill effects on a brand new PC. In fact, I reccomend doing so, especially if the PC comes with a large amount of pre-installed software.

I pretty much built my PC. A few times, I've installed/reinstalled windows. By the time I install all the programs that I want to use, my disk is pretty fragmented. So I defrag it once I'm done setting everything up.

Upvote 0

Heathen Dawn

Gesta Dei per Francos
Aug 13, 2003
Israel
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
kurabrhm said:
How often do you use disk defragmentation?

Once in three months or so.

And how safe is it to run it for the first time on a brand new PC?

Depends where your brand new PC came from, and how it came. If you’ve installed all the software on the hard disk from scratch, after a full format, then you don’t need to defragment. But if the machine arrived with software preinstalled, then it would be good to do it, because you don’t know what the hard disk has been through. Either way, it’s safe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,880.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tarheel25 said:
kernelthread.com/mac/apme/fragmentation/

Full documentation there. Put a www first. I cannot post full web links yet, not enough posts.
Site Posted said:
Note that I do not intend to make any claims regarding the fragmentation-resistance of HFS+. I have sampled too few a volume to generalize my "results". This discussion is more illustrative than empirical, wherein I am only suggesting a tool/method that you could use to gauge your own volumes' situation.

While Apple does not provide a defragmentation tool, they introduced a few HFS+ optimizations in "Panther", two of which play important roles in countering (even undoing) the fragmentation of files that are below a certain size, and are frequently accessed.

So Apples still have frag problems, just not the same type

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Oblivious said:
Just re-read the OP :doh: I personally don't see a reason to run a defrag on a new PC. In fact, I bet if you try to run it Windows it will tell you the drive doesn't need to be defragmented.

I have two hard drives. Well, at least it is shown separately. One required some defrag and the other needed nothing doing to it!! But doing defrag definitely improves overall performance in terms of processing speed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
theartist87 said:
I woudn't think it was a virus, usually they are made more... annoying..... Check your sound settings... Does it happen when you do a certain thing, such as click on an icon, or browse webpages? It could be in your sound settings...

What do you mean by sound settings? What about sound settings? What is the specific thing that I should check?

Upvote 0