Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How can you keep private a natural bodily function that half of the world deals with every month of their life?

I disagree totally.

private meaning not shoved under the rug and ignored, but not made into the spectacle that the vid made it to be. women should not feel ashamed of something like this that they cannot help, but to go so far as to have a sloppy red fountain thingie to dunk white marshmallows, with all thr crude humor is a tad to far.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
One thing I've never understood.
If something is so disgusting, why promote it & share it on the site?

It's not the same unless you get a ton of agreement with everyone getting het up and clutching their pearls.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not the same unless you get a ton of agreement with everyone getting het up and clutching their pearls.

Or I saw something that disturbed me, and needed a place to vent my frustrations. I'm sure most of you have done it at some point or another, is that not one of the points of these message boards?

And no, I am not at all sexist, I just find the advertisement invasive and demeaning...but to each their own.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I agree with just about all the comments here. Those kinds of things are personal, and ought to be kept private.

When we were kids, we watched "the film" at school. They kept all the girls after school, and sent the boys home (but they tried to hang around and peek in the auditorium windows). It was a bit embarrassing to have it handled that way (well, actually it had more to do with a nosy teacher who made inappropriate remarks).

But the whole idea of that commercial ... yeah if that's on TV, I have to say that is just no class.

Do young boys want to see stuff like this?

Would young girls want to see films relating to pubescent boys' "issues"?

Do they want to be sitting in the same room when the commercials come on?

Just seems in poor taste to me. And they really HAVE such parties??? I would have been mortified. Not because I'm ashamed of it but ... it's just that it was something I kept between myself, my grandma (because it happened at her house), and my mom.

And when it came up with my daughter, I kept it between the two of us. No need to announce it to the world, imo. She would have been upset with me if I had.
I agree with you. My mom sat down and talked with me about upcoming developmental changes/birds and the bees when I was 10. We've had a few talks with our boys about the same things. It's how it should be. Parents discussing it with their children. It's where it should come from. Good communication is vital, especially when they are older in their teen years and such.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can you keep private a natural bodily function that half of the world deals with every month of their life?

I disagree totally.

It's quite easy. Everyone knows that boys and girls go through changes. It's a natural thing. What isn't natural is making it a subject of a national commercial or tv show or what have you. There used to be a thing called common decency and tact and class. It's lacking in today's society. Nothing is private anymore, just as nothing is sacred anymore.

And I apologize if I come off as harsh on this. This is one of those subjects that I feel strongly about.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, some parents are too embarrassed to talk to their children about issues. My mother was told absolutely nothing about "that time of the month" and thought she was bleeding to death when it first happened. For that reason, my mother told me very early. Personally, I believe it is best that parents handle these topics, but what happens when the parents are too embarrassed to do so?
A decent, appropriate health class for kids would be the solution if the parents can't talk to their children. We were sent a form to fill out for our older boy who was a fifth grader then, to give permission for him and other boys in his class (the girls watched their developmental changes video in another room) to watch developmental changes, from his school at the time. The gave the website where the video was and we could watch it beforehand. We approved/signed it, and my son watched it, knowing already nearly all of what he saw because we'd had a talk with him before then on that subject. The only thing was on growing hair on the face. We didn't get to that apparently, so he asked when he got home, and hubby explained it to him. My son isn't afraid to come to either of us and discuss anything along those lines if he is confused or unsure of something.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's quite easy. Everyone knows that boys and girls go through changes. It's a natural thing. What isn't natural is making it a subject of a national commercial or tv show or what have you. There used to be a thing called common decency and tact and class. It's lacking in today's society. Nothing is private anymore, just as nothing is sacred anymore.

And I apologize if I come off as harsh on this. This is one of those subjects that I feel strongly about.

And again, it's not "private". Kids learn these things in biology class. They should learn them from their parents even earlier.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.