Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Greetings my Eastern Orthodox brethren, I saw this video on the frontpage of youtube, and it made me sick.

It sort of reminded me of Gurney's thread on the degradation of men in society, this time it is children. To me it is sick to expose children to filth like this advertisement, as if this is "acceptable". What are your opinions on this? No wonder our society is becoming more and more sexually immoral.

First Moon Party - YouTube

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes it's so surreal to think that I thought the 1980's were risqué back in the day growing up, but 9 out of 10 things we see now would've been SHOCKING and repugnant to the average 1980's Joe. This thing is unreal, man. Un-freakin'-real. It's disgusting.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree that the commercial is overboard by using humor that is in poor taste (it was the vagina cake and bobbing for ovaries that took it there), even though it is actually making fun of the celebrating menarche trend by showing how weird, crazy, and embarrassing it is for the girls who are made to endure such hippie like shenanigans. However, the fact that a commercial was geared to girls about products they will need to eventually use once a month until they've gone through menopause isn't a traumatizing idea in and of itself. While I don't like the idea of using coded euphemisms and showing a woman running in a field of wild flowers (like they did in the 80s) to be a good thing either- there should be a happy medium when discussing the topic of bodily functions too many people have taboos about still. I believe girls and women should be made aware of ALL of their options when it comes to menstrual products.

Women bleed once a month. People need to get over it already.

ETA- I personally thought the commercial was hilarious. My husband did too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I agree that the commercial is overboard by using humor that is in poor taste (it was the vagina cake and bobbing for ovaries that took it there), even though it is actually making fun of the celebrating menarche trend by showing how weird, crazy, and embarrassing it is for the girls who are made to endure such hippie like shenanigans. However, the fact that a commercial was geared to girls about products they will need to eventually use once a month until they've gone through menopause isn't a traumatizing idea in and of itself. While I don't like the idea of using coded euphemisms and showing a woman running in a field of wild flowers (like they did in the 80s) to be a good thing either- there should be a happy medium when discussing the topic of bodily functions too many people have taboos about still. I believe girls and women should be made aware of ALL of their options when it comes to menstrual products.

Women bleed once a month. People need to get over it already.

ETA- I personally thought the commercial was hilarious.

This is the kind of stuff they would have shown to only girls, in private, not on
TV in mixed company--I would have loved to have seen this when I was a kid, instead of the film we did see!! I have a weird sense of humor and found it hysterically funny, but really object to showing it in mixed company--I'm old fashioned that way! You have a point, and I agree with you--but still--girls only!! ((bobbing for ovaries was too over the top!)--uterus pinata---funny!!

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I suppose we all have different senses of humor, but to me this crossed the line. Having young girls literally praying to get their first period, to enter into in many ways sexual maturity, is disturbing to me. Then inviting the whole family over to partake in activities involving the female reproductive system...including bobbing for ovaries and ordering a vagina cake is my limit. No way should 12 or 13 year old girls be exposed to this.

If this were a commercial for males in puberty, and related to the male reproductive system I would probably feel the same way, I can be really "old fashioned" about this stuff. :)

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suppose we all have different senses of humor, but to me this crossed the line. Having young girls literally praying to get their first period, to enter into in many ways sexual maturity, is disturbing to me. Then inviting the whole family over to partake in activities involving the female reproductive system...including bobbing for ovaries and ordering a vagina cake is my limit. No way should 12 or 13 year old girls be exposed to this.

If this were a commercial for males in puberty, and related to the male reproductive system I would probably feel the same way, I can be really "old fashioned" about this stuff. :)
Some families really do celebrate when their daughters have their menarche. It's better than what is tradition in traditional Orthodox Jewish families. The girl gets slapped. Yes- really. It's a thing.

I disagree so much with the very idea of body shaming. I'd rather a girl see getting her period as natural with no negativity attached to it than be ashamed, embarrassed, and loathing the very idea and being traumatized by having a period (which HAPPENS). You have no idea.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Taboos can be rational or irrational. In our time, it is the rational ones that are under attack. It is far wiser to treat taboos developed in Christian culture as reasonable and necessary than to assume that they are unreasonable and ought to be discarded.

It is unthinking modern thought that assumes taboos are bad.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some families really do celebrate when their daughters have their menarche. It's better than what is tradition in traditional Orthodox Jewish families. The girl gets slapped. Yes- really. It's a thing.

I disagree so much with the very idea of body shaming. I'd rather a girl see getting her period as natural with no negativity attached to it than be ashamed, embarrassed, and loathing the very idea and being traumatized by having a period (which HAPPENS). You have no idea.

I agree. Shaming things that are not evil is wrong. Using the toilet is not wrong. But the details of defecation ought not be shouted on every street corner.

The right thing to do is to not talk about it except privately from mother to daughter. Not because it is worthy of shame, but because it is INTIMATE. It ought to be private. That's why this insane commercial is so wrong. It publicizes the very things that ought to be kept private.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. Shaming things that are not evil is wrong. Using the toilet is not wrong. But the details of defecation ought not be shouted on every street corner.

The right thing to do is to not talk about it except privately from mother to daughter. Not because it is worthy of shame, but because it is INTIMATE. It ought to be private. That's why this insane commercial is so wrong. It publicizes the very things that ought to be kept private.

Reading over the comments, I see what it's about. I agree with Rus. These things are private issues. I never liked commercials for such things: commercials for pads and tampons and showing how they work, products for douches, hemorrhoid commercials, erectile dysfunction commercials, etc. I don't really even like the bra and underwear commercials, either. They're all private matters that don't belong on national television no matter if they're trying to sell a product. Just go to the store and go to the section for these products. Yes, I'm old fashioned. I consider it common decency and respect for privacy. That's a forgotten word these days.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Greetings my Eastern Orthodox brethren, I saw this video on the frontpage of youtube, and it made me sick.

It sort of reminded me of Gurney's thread on the degradation of men in society, this time it is children. To me it is sick to expose children to filth like this advertisement, as if this is "acceptable". What are your opinions on this? No wonder our society is becoming more and more sexually immoral.

First Moon Party - YouTube

Ok, I watched. Is this an actual commercial? First off, why would the girl want her period so badly? I didn't. Anyhow, that was stupid. The girl cursing wasn't helpful, and the mother's response was juvenile. The whole commercial was tacky, lacked class, and was completely inappropriate. Yes, I'm a snob.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

totally agree. what made this bad, in my opinion, was that it took something that should be private between parents and their kids, and shoved it in your face at every turn in very crude ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I agree with just about all the comments here. Those kinds of things are personal, and ought to be kept private.

When we were kids, we watched "the film" at school. They kept all the girls after school, and sent the boys home (but they tried to hang around and peek in the auditorium windows). It was a bit embarrassing to have it handled that way (well, actually it had more to do with a nosy teacher who made inappropriate remarks).

But the whole idea of that commercial ... yeah if that's on TV, I have to say that is just no class.

Do young boys want to see stuff like this?

Would young girls want to see films relating to pubescent boys' "issues"?

Do they want to be sitting in the same room when the commercials come on?

Just seems in poor taste to me. And they really HAVE such parties??? I would have been mortified. Not because I'm ashamed of it but ... it's just that it was something I kept between myself, my grandma (because it happened at her house), and my mom.

And when it came up with my daughter, I kept it between the two of us. No need to announce it to the world, imo. She would have been upset with me if I had.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Huge kudos.

Wow. Women have to deal with periods from age 12/13 until they are sometimes in their 50s (my periods ended mid-40s, woo hoo). There's nothing to be ashamed about. It's a natural, normal function designed by GOD that ultimately leads to the continuation of the human race. Moms need to be open with their daughters about it - trust me, I have been on both sides of that. In a family where there are both boys and girls, the boys know about it too, and parents should encourage an open atmosphere where nobody is embarrassed. After all, the boys will one day be young men who will have gf's and then wives who have periods. It shouldn't be a big mystery that their gf/wife will menstruate once a month and it can lead to better understanding and sensitivity on the part of the boys when they learn about it, and see their sister/s struggling with cramps.

I remember one of my more serious bf's many years ago who was raised only with one brother and whose mom never told him about periods. He was completely ignorant of the process and was afraid from guy talk that there were 'floods' of blood involved. LOL. He was very afraid that I was about to bleed to death and needed to spend a week in bed. Maybe I should never have enlightened him - and then married him - and then I would have gotten one week a month off for the rest of our lives. ^_^

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I agree with just about all the comments here. Those kinds of things are personal, and ought to be kept private.
How can you keep private a natural bodily function that half of the world deals with every month of their life?

I disagree totally.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How can you keep private a natural bodily function that half of the world deals with every month of their life?

I disagree totally.

That's ok. :)

But it has nothing to do with shaming, or keeping secrets. I started explaining periods when my daughter was about 3 years old (I think that's when I got mine back). She always had an age-appropriate understanding of all the biological things she needed to understand, and was never made ashamed of anything.

But ... I didn't announce it to the family and throw her a party, or make a big deal out of it to uncles and cousins when I bought her a bra, or anything like that.

Just the sense of decorum our family prefers to hold, and no one has ever suffered for it. We've had very frank talks between my mother, aunt, sister, and myself because some of us have physical issues from medicines given during pregnancy.

But no, we don't throw a party and tell our daughter's cousins, friends, grandparents, boy friends, mom's co-workers, and so on, as shown in that commercial, and I find the idea very over-the-top. I think it's very possible to deal with things as needed and still respect someone's privacy.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, some parents are too embarrassed to talk to their children about issues. My mother was told absolutely nothing about "that time of the month" and thought she was bleeding to death when it first happened. For that reason, my mother told me very early. Personally, I believe it is best that parents handle these topics, but what happens when the parents are too embarrassed to do so?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.