• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Difficult days

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok starting this day over again, ^_^.....

I do not do well with the moving the clocks forward at all...

I woke up late, got my son off late... One of my dogs got sprayed by a skunk this morning. :stress: I had a horrible migraine in my neck and head all day yesturday ( still today). My oldest son is having a hard time in school because he was sick for over a week ( college prep highschool). The school wants to see us, ( snobby school LOL) And he struggles with ADD... The list goes on!

So I will start my day over, In your sobriety what do you do in your difficult days?

One good thing is my favorite American Idol ,Adam Lambert made it in last night.....^_^ I don't have to work today , so I plan on a meeting.

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It sounds good that you seem cheerful about it and say "I'll start again" instead of getting into regret.

I don't make a big effort in being sober myself, but at least I know that alchohol don't help a bit to make difficult days any better. It's actually pretty depressive to be drunk.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's actually pretty depressive to be drunk.
That's basically where I've ended up in my thinking...doesn't quite stop me from drinking...but that's the reality of it...being sober is easier when it's not easy to get a hold of alcohol...makes ya think about what else you can do to have a good time.

Upvote 0

Your Friend Adam

Outside Eden, struggling toward Gethsemane
Feb 24, 2009
Texas
✟15,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok starting this day over again, ^_^.....

I do not do well with the moving the clocks forward at all...

I woke up late, got my son off late... One of my dogs got sprayed by a skunk this morning. :stress: I had a horrible migraine in my neck and head all day yesturday ( still today). My oldest son is having a hard time in school because he was sick for over a week ( college prep highschool). The school wants to see us, ( snobby school LOL) And he struggles with ADD... The list goes on!

So I will start my day over, In your sobriety what do you do in your difficult days?

One good thing is my favorite American Idol ,Adam Lambert made it in last night.....^_^ I don't have to work today , so I plan on a meeting.

During crappy times, I remember what I heard in a meeting one time "Just don't take a drink" and I remember "That this too shall pass" and my experience has been that 100% of the time whatever it was, it passed/I didn't drink/I survived it.

For me on some days, these two things are as good as it gets and I can live with that as long as there is hope and with Christ as my hope there is always hope.

I hope this helps....take what you like and leave the rest.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In part, like you, I try to restart. In part, to remember that tomorrow is unlikely to be as bad, may even be good. In part, to try to reframe it so that someone else, if not me, might get a laugh out of it. If I do run into someone, and if he or she does get a laugh, I'm quite likely to join in. Though not, like Rodney Dangerfield, get rich.

Upvote 0

faithful follower

Sharing our Journey
Dec 10, 2008
United States
✟29,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember that drinking is NOT going to help and that everything I have in my life today is an answered prayer. Yes, I prayed for my relationships, my responsibilities, my opportunities to grow. And I practice gratitude and remember that in a hundred years, it's probably not going to make a difference anyway.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Is it an indoor dog?

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, I have had days like that. My coping skills for dealing with "Life on life's terms" is the following list.

Meeting
Call Sponsor
Deep Breathing Exercises
Relaxation/Visualization Exercise
Bubble Bath
Soft Music, like Pachelbel's Canon in D with candle light.
Journaling
Taking a Walk
Riding my Exercise Bike
Taking a Nap
Prayer
Meditation
Read a Psalm

That list is not in any particular order.

Hugs,
Trish

Upvote 0

vera5d

Mar 15, 2009
✟15,138.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we all have difficult days, sometimes it seems like they last for some time...I would not be too happy if my dog were sprayed by a skunk!

Madison1101 has some really good ideas, I would love it if I had a big tub for bubble baths, that sounds so wonderful and relaxing.

My favorite thing to do is exercise when I'm stressed out. It helps me burn off some of my anger/frustration...and it's healthy! I always feel better afterwards. Sometimes all I need is a nice good nap too - I know I don't get nearly enough of those :)

Having a good list of things to do when you're stressed out and overwhelmed is great...sometimes just thinking of the things on the list can help!

Reactions: BobW188
Upvote 0