• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
G

godenver1

What does your church believe about:
1. Women being ordained.
2. Women being "equal" to men in the sense that they are encouraged to have careers if they choose.
3. Bible inerrancy
4. Origins of life, Big Bang, evolution Meaning - do you believe in "creationism"?

How different do you think your church is to other Protestant churches?

Hi, Blue Wren. I wouldn't consider myself Baptist, but would have up until a few months back. I still attend a Baptist church because of family occasionally. I hope I can help

1. When I was a Baptist, I personally wasn't comfortable with it, but my church was. A new Baptist church moved into the local town I live, and it has a female pastor. She has visited the Baptist church I went to and even gave a sermon there, so the church, even if I wasn't, was at the least not opposed to women being ordained. Currently at the Anglican diocese I attend, there is a female priest, and theologically I'm a little more comfortable with it now as an Anglican

2. I can't see any Christian objection at all for this, Baptist or other denomination (unless you're talking about priests, some might object)

3. When I was a Baptist, I believed the Bible was all literal, and no errors. I imagine some Baptists may not take it all as literal (Genesis for example, depending on context) but I think that's the minority.

4. Same as above, I used to deny evolution and believe in a literal 6 day creation. Towards the end of being a Baptist, I accepted evolution and not a literal translation of Genesis, or at least the creation. That was before I was Anglican.

As I've mentioned above, I am an Anglican and cannot debate or teach theology on this forum, because this is the Baptist forum. I posted this hoping it can help because I was a Baptist for a while :)

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Merry Christmas :)

:thumbsup: Cute :)

Hi, Blue Wren. I wouldn't consider myself Baptist, but would have up until a few months back. I still attend a Baptist church because of family occasionally. I hope I can help

1. When I was a Baptist, I personally wasn't comfortable with it, but my church was. A new Baptist church moved into the local town I live, and it has a female pastor. She has visited the Baptist church I went to and even gave a sermon there, so the church, even if I wasn't, was at the least not opposed to women being ordained. Currently at the Anglican diocese I attend, there is a female priest, and theologically I'm a little more comfortable with it now as an Anglican

2. I can't see any Christian objection at all for this, Baptist or other denomination (unless you're talking about priests, some might object)

3. When I was a Baptist, I believed the Bible was all literal, and no errors. I imagine some Baptists may not take it all as literal (Genesis for example, depending on context) but I think that's the minority.

4. Same as above, I used to deny evolution and believe in a literal 6 day creation. Towards the end of being a Baptist, I accepted evolution and not a literal translation of Genesis, or at least the creation. That was before I was Anglican.

As I've mentioned above, I am an Anglican and cannot debate or teach theology on this forum, because this is the Baptist forum. I posted this hoping it can help because I was a Baptist for a while :)

Hello. Thank you for your response! :)

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, of course you are correct that it is economically unfeasible for most families to have a one-income home. Societies also benefit from having more adults who are working, contributing and paying taxes. Feminism is not the reason most women do not have that choice anymore. Reality is. Stockholm, where I am from, is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Ranked in the top 10. For most families it is necessary for both parents to work. We do have some of the best maternity benefits. New mothers, they take a long time off with their babies. Either parent (father or mother) can apply to stay at home for longer if they wish. Of course once the children are in school, women need something to do with their days, yes? Also it is necessary for a woman to be able to support herself financially in between the time when she moves out of the family home and gets married. There is usually a gap of time in between when she gets married and when she has her first child. It would be sensible for her to work then. I just looked up the median age of marriage for Canada because I thought, maybe it is normal to get married very young there. The common age was 30.1 in 2008. So between 18 and 30 you must have a job and support yourself, mustn't you? Why could you not be the "keeper" of the home and have a job?

You have a full scholarship to college and you want to give it up to marry your boyfriend? You are 17-18, correct? Your parents, they would stand behind such a decision? This is alarming to me. I do not mean to be harsh to you, but I will regret it if I'm not honest. Of course it would be a shameful waste of a scholarship. I am in shock you'd be smart enough to get a scholarship but foolish enough to throw it away. You could marry him after college. Why be so impatient? I know what it is like to be madly in love but that is not a good enough reason to give up on a scholarship. God has given you this opportunity. Honour him by making the most of it. To me, it would be ungrateful to not take it. I'm shocked at how much it costs to go to university in America. I don't know about Canada, it's probably expensive too. Many people work so hard to get a scholarship and then don't get one.

No. It's lacking the value to society both in what you provide and in taxes. You could be a mother and still have a job, most do. Even if you do decide to stay at home with children having the qualifications to get a job will be useful. What would happen if your future-husband got sick and couldn't work, if the marriage did not work out, if God forbid he died and you had to provide for your family yourself? My best friend's father was killed when he slipped on ice and hit his head on the pavement. Things like that, they can happen anytime. Even if you have life insurance it doesn't last forever.

You do not think it's extremely insulting and condescending to insist that your interpretation of Genesis is the only one that could be true? You don't realise how condescending what you just wrote is? We view Genesis as a very sacred parable. It's very important to us. We do not believe it's taking "man's wisdom" over God's word. It's just reading God's word differently than you do. I do not know as much about what is taught in US / Canadian high schools about science. In Sweden it is very up to date, the standards of education are high. What we are taught about evolution is not outdated. It has not been discredited. I have a hard time believing that what's taught in most high schools has been. Is what you are taught about science in your classes now, out of date to you?

God created men and women equally, but men and women do not have equal opportunity to serve Him?

Must disagree with you ladies. It is not necessary for both Husband and Wife to work. What the world tells you you need to live on is a lie, it is far less than you might image. God takes care of us. My family has money but I have been poor all my life, there is something honorable about being poor. I would not be as close to God as I am if I had money. I am rich spiritual from God, we have everything we need and most of what we want. If I told you how much we live on you would be shocked, it is well below the poverty line, in fact if we were at that line i would think we were rich. And Here I am answering God's call, and don't get me wrong its a great honor to be called for which i am most unworthy, but i'll probably drop 80 grand on my education. I will always be poor i don't care. God has given me so many things I love and gifts, that really i do everything I want and have what I want. Even if you have money I recommend living meek, not getting caught up in the rat race of the world to who can get the most stuff. I have suffered so long that I find it hard to image heaven, but oh how sweet it will be when i get there after a life time of eating bitter. :)

when my youngest son was born I stayed home with him while my wife went to work. It is what she wanted, and it was what I wanted. So no i don't look down on staying at Home with the kids, in fact it was the hardest thing I ever did or went through, and I was a trained fighter, i was going to go into the navy seals and trained for it, I know a thing or two about hard work. Maybe that is why I am not threaten by a strong women, I think many men are.

This is truth though if it is true a Christian woman can not have authority over men in the church then it is also true of Christian women in the world. There are not two sets of rules one for the Church and one for us when we are in the world. Does that sound like God? Does that sound equal to you? Have men done such a great job of leadership? or are there good and bad leaders of men, just like there are good and bad women.

I watched a show women in the Bible and this woman preacher was praising Delilah and how she " could bring down a man" she was speaking of Samson God's chosen Judge, we call them judges but they were not really judges but People which God raised up to bring Israel out of bondage. Now that woman pastor should not have authority over men, because she serves her own interest and has not be appointed by God and that is what Paul meant when he said he did not allow women to usurp authority of men. It meant act in there own interest and desires. but God can appoint a woman, Mary Magdalene was appointed by Jesus to tell His followers He was back. any way i am rambling.
blu

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Must disagree with you ladies. It is not necessary for both Husband and Wife to work. What the world tells you you need to live on is a lie, it is far less than you might image. God takes care of us. My family has money but I have been poor all my life, there is something honorable about being poor. I would not be as close to God as I am if I had money. I am rich spiritual from God, we have everything we need and most of what we want. If I told you how much we live on you would be shocked, it is well below the poverty line, in fact if we were at that line i would think we were rich. And Here I am answering God's call, and don't get me wrong its a great honor to be called for which i am most unworthy, but i'll probably drop 80 grand on my education. I will always be poor i don't care. God has given me so many things I love and gifts, that really i do everything I want and have what I want. Even if you have money I recommend living meek, not getting caught up in the rat race of the world to who can get the most stuff. I have suffered so long that I find it hard to image heaven, but oh how sweet it will be when i get there after a life time of eating bitter. :)
You have written some beautiful things here. There is something honourable about living humbly and trusting the Lord to provide. :amen:

I think, that as far as practicalities are concerned for many it is compulsory to work. I do believe, that if you cannot work and you need the finances that God will help guide you. He will provide. I also think he wants us to try to provide for ourselves and for others, the best that we can. I agree that it's not necessary for all husbands and wives to work. In many areas, it is even if you are living humbly. In Stockholm and other parts of Scandinavia it's necessary for every adult who isn't on some sort of assistance from the government to work. This is not living in a mansion. Most live in apartments that by US standards would be considered teeny-tiny. My aunt's walk in closet here is almost as my room at home! This is not an exaggeration. The salaries are very good but the taxes are HIGH. So much higher than in the United States. Women work full time until they have children. Some do work part-time once they they have children. To say again what I wrote earlier it is a choice women should be free to make. If they are able to afford not to work, and that is what they and their husband wish, that is their decision. The problem I have, is when people try to make it out like, society is worse off if mothers work or that a Christian woman, she is not as Godly or living by the Bible if she works. This is not what anybody directly said here, that is what I have read elsewhere. There is guilt, that is placed on women who work, that I think is not fair. For many it is no choice. I do think, it is important to see both sides. The pros and the cons.

I think, that Americans, they would be shocked by how much we pay in tax and how much things cost. To give you an idea, when I came to the US for the first time I thought New York City was affordable. I gained weight I am embarrassed to say, because I could eat out all the time. I am staying with family now, in California. It's much more expensive than in other states in the US I have been told but still less than home. People here, when I arrived for this stay in the summer, they kept talking about how high the cost of petrol is. It was much higher than. But it was so much cheaper than in Sweden. I'm also learning, how much things costs here in the US. So much more in one city than another.

I do see the value in staying home with your children when they are young, if you have that ability. I see the value for both parents. With those taxes in Sweden, many good things are provided. Either parent can apply for parental leave for up to sixteen months at a time up until the child is 8. Many fathers do this now, about 99% of mothers do. That is another reason why, they encourage women to work when they do not have a young child at home, to pay taxes that will help others that do. I do not know if such a program is offered in the US? Because those taxes help everyone and help to provide that paid leave, free university, good health care. Taxes here in the US, they also go to help pay for things every-body uses, no?

When I was asked about whether staying at home with your children is as valuable as being a working parent, I replied factually. I was thinking economically. Not figuratively. Perhaps I sounded harsh? I didn't mean to. I just am honest, in a direct way.

I was in shock about not taking a scholarship that was offered. That is Jennae's choice, of course it is. It just, surprised me very much. I've learned, since being here, how much university costs. That is one thing we don't have to worry so much about in Sweden. University is free. Here, it costs an unbelievable amount. I am taking classes, while I am here, they are so expensive. $80,000 for your schooling? That is so much! How long does it take to get your degree, in your programme? In ministry? I am sure, it will all be worthwhile. The time, the money you will put it good use. It seems that, not as many people -men or women that they are wanting to go into ministry nowadays. It is good then, to do this.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is truth though if it is true a Christian woman can not have authority over men in the church then it is also true of Christian women in the world. There are not two sets of rules one for the Church and one for us when we are in the world. Does that sound like God? Does that sound equal to you? Have men done such a great job of leadership? or are there good and bad leaders of men, just like there are good and bad women.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You have written some beautiful things here. There is something honourable about living humbly and trusting the Lord to provide. :amen:

I think, that as far as practicalities are concerned for many it is compulsory to work. I do believe, that if you cannot work and you need the finances that God will help guide you. He will provide. I also think he wants us to try to provide for ourselves and for others, the best that we can. I agree that it's not necessary for all husbands and wives to work. In many areas, it is even if you are living humbly. In Stockholm and other parts of Scandinavia it's necessary for every adult who isn't on some sort of assistance from the government to work. This is not living in a mansion. Most live in apartments that by US standards would be considered teeny-tiny. My aunt's walk in closet here is almost as my room at home! This is not an exaggeration. The salaries are very good but the taxes are HIGH. So much higher than in the United States. Women work full time until they have children. Some do work part-time once they they have children. To say again what I wrote earlier it is a choice women should be free to make. If they are able to afford not to work, and that is what they and their husband wish, that is their decision. The problem I have, is when people try to make it out like, society is worse off if mothers work or that a Christian woman, she is not as Godly or living by the Bible if she works. This is not what anybody directly said here, that is what I have read elsewhere. There is guilt, that is placed on women who work, that I think is not fair. For many it is no choice. I do think, it is important to see both sides. The pros and the cons.

I think, that Americans, they would be shocked by how much we pay in tax and how much things cost. To give you an idea, when I came to the US for the first time I thought New York City was affordable. I gained weight I am embarrassed to say, because I could eat out all the time. I am staying with family now, in California. It's much more expensive than in other states in the US I have been told but still less than home. People here, when I arrived for this stay in the summer, they kept talking about how high the cost of petrol is. It was much higher than. But it was so much cheaper than in Sweden. I'm also learning, how much things costs here in the US. So much more in one city than another.

I do see the value in staying home with your children when they are young, if you have that ability. I see the value for both parents. With those taxes in Sweden, many good things are provided. Either parent can apply for parental leave for up to sixteen months at a time up until the child is 8. Many fathers do this now, about 99% of mothers do. That is another reason why, they encourage women to work when they do not have a young child at home, to pay taxes that will help others that do. I do not know if such a program is offered in the US? Because those taxes help everyone and help to provide that paid leave, free university, good health care. Taxes here in the US, they also go to help pay for things every-body uses, no?

When I was asked about whether staying at home with your children is as valuable as being a working parent, I replied factually. I was thinking economically. Not figuratively. Perhaps I sounded harsh? I didn't mean to. I just am honest, in a direct way.

I was in shock about not taking a scholarship that was offered. That is Jennae's choice, of course it is. It just, surprised me very much. I've learned, since being here, how much university costs. That is one thing we don't have to worry so much about in Sweden. University is free. Here, it costs an unbelievable amount. I am taking classes, while I am here, they are so expensive. $80,000 for your schooling? That is so much! How long does it take to get your degree, in your programme? In ministry? I am sure, it will all be worthwhile. The time, the money you will put it good use. It seems that, not as many people -men or women that they are wanting to go into ministry nowadays. It is good then, to do this.

most pastors make about 20-40,000 a year, as my dad tell me I can not justifies my degree it cost far more to get it then i will ever make, i could make that must with out the degree. I told my Dad I have no choice and i am not doing this to get rich. I think I will probably write books more then be in the church.

You guys to get free stuff your tax dollars pay for over there. Here some taxs go to help out the poor, but Americans are very upset about that, many are any way, and when the government or states need money those programs for the poor are the first to get cut. Also it is a fight to even get and stay on these programs for the poor. The people who run them have the agenda to get people off them and turn people down all because a few people scam them.

I hate talking about that stuff, I trust God, our apartment is small by us standards. we have one bed room for me my wife and my two kids who we have only on weekends, but we split the living room into a second bedroom. The bathroom is so small one person barely fits and you can not turn around in the shower, but we have huge kitchen, lol with very few cabinets. we have two tables and a freezer refrigerate stove micro wave cart all in our kitchen, it is literally the biggest room in the house. I was homeless for a time lived out of my car for 6 months until it was stolen. So this place is a palace to me, my mom and brother stole everything i owned during this time and sold it. all I had was the clothes on my back. I have been to hell, and hell makes this world seem like heaven at times, maybe that was the propose of God letting me go there.

any way Peace and love
blu

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your replies, Jennae.

2. I heard that some churches in America believe that women should stay at home with children and men should "bring home the bacon." Such a funny expression, lol. We do not have that in Swedish.

4. To be clear, are you saying you think life was made in six literal days? Do you have a hard time balancing that, with what you learn in your science classes at school?[

we are not told to "balance it " we are told to believe :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
most pastors make about 20-40,000 a year, as my dad tell me I can not justifies my degree it cost far more to get it then i will ever make, i could make that must with out the degree. I told my Dad I have no choice and i am not doing this to get rich. I think I will probably write books more then be in the church.

You guys to get free stuff your tax dollars pay for over there. Here some taxs go to help out the poor, but Americans are very upset about that, many are any way, and when the government or states need money those programs for the poor are the first to get cut. Also it is a fight to even get and stay on these programs for the poor. The people who run them have the agenda to get people off them and turn people down all because a few people scam them.

I hate talking about that stuff, I trust God, our apartment is small by us standards. we have one bed room for me and my two kids who we have only on weekends, but we split the living room into a second bedroom. The bathroom is so small one person barely fits and you can not turn around in the shower, but we have huge kitchen, lol with very few cabinets. we have two tables and a freezer refrigerate stove micro wave cart all in our kitchen, it is literally the biggest room in the house. I was homeless for a time lived out of my car for 6 months until it was stolen. So this place is a palace to me, my mom and brother stole everything i owned during this time and sold it. all I had was the clothes on my back. I have been to hell, and hell makes this world seem like heaven at times, maybe that was the propose of God letting me go there.

any way Peace and love
blu
Sorry about your troubles in the past. Keep looking up.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

My sister in law has her doctorate, ordained, and is a head pastor and rakes in 90k a year. Ministry is quite a lucrative profession these days!

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My sister in law has her doctorate, ordained, and is a head pastor and rakes in 90k a year. Ministry is quite a lucrative profession these days!

she must work at a church of 10,000 or more. i said most, but you can Google the average sal for a pastor its not 90k. I might get my Phd, i think i will more than likely write books.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,960.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

“You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.” – L. Ron Hubbard

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
she must work at a church of 10,000 or more. i said most, but you can Google the average sal for a pastor its not 90k. I might get my Phd, i think i will more than likely write books.
You could research a dissertation on bodyart among different Christian groups. I think it would be very interesting.

Upvote 0
G

godenver1

I agree that it's not necessary for all husbands and wives to work. In many areas, it is even if you are living humbly. In Stockholm and other parts of Scandinavia it's necessary for every adult who isn't on some sort of assistance from the government to work. This is not living in a mansion. Most live in apartments that by US standards would be considered teeny-tiny. My aunt's walk in closet here is almost as my room at home! This is not an exaggeration. The salaries are very good but the taxes are HIGH.

I agree. Where you live and what country greatly affects the price, I would imagine. Bluelion is probably right in that if you live basically you may not need both spouses to work. A guide in up-state NY (near the Canadian border) told us that some houses in the area, even though they were in a less-than-desirable location, could be purchased for 30-40,000 dollars. I think that's very cheap for a house. Of course, if you want to live permanently in NYC, that's probably a whole other ball game in terms of cost of living and apartment prices.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if type is the correct word for what I mean. It looks like organization and conference are what is used more? I am new to attending a Baptist church. Some of what I've been reading on here has been foreign to me. I'm a Swedish girl living in the US. When I say foreign I mean that literally, lol. The conversations about ordaining women surprised me, very much. I looked it up and found, on Wikipedia, several different types of Baptists. This is what they had listed:

The Baptist organizations in Germany and Switzerland (Bund Evangelisch-Freikirchlicher Gemeinden, Bund Schweizer Baptistengemeinden) ordain women.

The Southern Baptist Convention does not support the ordination of women; however, some churches that are members of the SBC have ordained women.

Cooperative Baptist Fellowship churches actively encourage and ordain women to ministry, including as pastors.

Baptist groups in the United States that do ordain women include American Baptist Churches USA, North American Baptist Conference, Alliance of Baptists, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship (CBF) National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. and Progressive National Baptist Convention.

The General Association of Baptists (some would call these General Baptists, or Arminian Baptists) ordain women.

Ordination of women in Protestant churches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do most Baptist churches belong to one of those groups? What does your Baptist church belong to?

What does your church believe about:
1. Women being ordained.
2. Women being "equal" to men in the sense that they are encouraged to have careers if they choose.
3. Bible inerrancy
4. Origins of life, Big Bang, evolution Meaning - do you believe in "creationism"?

How different do you think your church is to other Protestant churches?

I know I could look some of these things up, on Google. I thought it would be better to learn, directly from people who are Baptist.

Honestly, I believe your questions can be summed up in #3. If someone says "yes" to #3 and #1, then there answer really I no to #3. They're inconsistent.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.