Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I saw someone mention that Jesus had the ability to sin, I disagree. To me that is saying Jesus had a sin nature and from what I have always heard, learned, and believed was that Jesus did not have a sin nature. Yes He was tempted to sin, but temptation always comes before sin, but it is not sin in and of itself.

He was tempted in his humanity. That does not mean he had a sin nature. After he fasted for forty days, he did not lust (sin) for food. He desired food. Satan offered a wrongful solution to the problem. Jesus was tempted because of a legitimate need to provide food. But, Jesus did not lust for food. If he had a sin nature he would have lusted. If you are thirsty? Is it a sin to want a drink of water? Its not sin. Its a legitimate need. Jesus had only legitimate needs. The temptations came when lies were offered to fulfill such needs. If Jesus had a sin nature he would have had no need to be tempted by outside sources. His own flesh would have provided the motivation to sin.

James 1:12-14 , "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed."

His own "evil desire." The sin nature resides in our flesh. Jesus had no such desires in his humanity. The sin nature comes to us through Adam, a man, but Jesus' Father was not a man but God.

If the Devil did not tempt Eve, Adam would have not sinned under those conditions he lived in. It took an outside evil source to motivate sinning.

Last edited:

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You make a good point, but was it a true temptation or wasn't it.

If someone were to put a bottle of whiskey in front of me, and ask me if I wanted some, that would be actual temptation, because as a former alcoholic, I really do want some. Not that having a drink of whiskey in itself a sin, but giving in to my desire for it just might be.

Now if that same person came in here and slapped down a Superman outfit and wanted to know if I'd put it on and go jump off the roof to see if it works, there is no real temptation there, no matter how much I enjoy flying.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i would have to say YES.

Jesus did have the ability to sin. If he was tested in every way like us, yet remained without sin, then he is qualified to be a mediator for us. If he was unable to sin, the temptation was not real.

the idea that he did not have a sin nature is a smoke screen. Adam did not have a sin nature, yet he fell. Jesus is the second Adam.

Steve

Reactions: WileyCoyote
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
i would have to say YES.

Jesus did have the ability to sin. If he was tested in every way like us, yet remained without sin, then he is qualified to be a mediator for us. If he was unable to sin, the temptation was not real.
What qualified him to be a mediator was the simple fact that there was no sin found in him. Not because He was tested. The testing was only to prove that there was no sin in him.

the idea that he did not have a sin nature is a smoke screen. Adam did not have a sin nature, yet he fell. Jesus is the second Adam.
Although Jesus is the second Adam, the first Adam wasn't Jesus.

Adam was not created perfect, he did have the ability to sin. God may have declared his creation very good, and in Adams case this is more about innocence, but He did not declare him perfect like He is. Adam before his fall had no sin nature in his flesh. All temptation to Adam had to come from an outside source, and he fell. Jesus, the second Adam, had all his temptation come from outside sources, and he did not fall.

Whining and complaining is a sin.

Being hateful is a sin

Being contentious is a sin.

Being jealous is a sin.

Being arrogant is a sin.

Does it require someone else to make you that way?

Comes naturally. Doesn't it? Man does not need to be tempted by an outside source to sin because it comes from within.

Jesus did not have to control his lust, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his arrogance, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his hatred, He did not have it.
Jesus did not have to control his worry, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his jealousy, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his desire to lie, He had none.

IMO, to say Jesus had the ability to sin is saying that He had all these things in him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jesus did not have to control his lust, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his arrogance, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his hatred, He did not have it.
Jesus did not have to control his worry, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his jealousy, He did not have any.
Jesus did not have to control his desire to lie, He had none.

Could you give me the verse on this, as I read Jesus knows what we go through when we're tempted: Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You make a good point, but was it a true temptation or wasn't it.

If someone were to put a bottle of whiskey in front of me, and ask me if I wanted some, that would be actual temptation, because as a former alcoholic, I really do want some. Not that having a drink of whiskey in itself a sin, but giving in to my desire for it just might be.

Now if that same person came in here and slapped down a Superman outfit and wanted to know if I'd put it on and go jump off the roof to see if it works, there is no real temptation there, no matter how much I enjoy flying.
You make a good point too but could this "no real temptation" be the real smoke screen though? Yes it was a true tempation but I don't then automatically draw the conclusion that Jesus had the ability to sin just because the temptation was legit. That doesn't necesarily have to mean that.

Why? because if I am going to tempt someone I'm first going to see if that person or thing has the ability to do what I want them or it to do. Now I can still test whether that is true by throwing out a few good legitimate temptations, but if they fail, I'm going to ask myself 'Hmmm, maybe the person or thing has no ability to to respond the way I want them to?'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Could you give me the verse on this,
I can't prove a negative, no one can. :p
Um, you'll have to do the work yourself.

If you want to look up whether Jesus had hate in him or was arrogant, etc. etc., knock yourself out, I'm not going to waste my time. ;)

as I read Jesus knows what we go through when we're tempted: Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
If you believe Jesus had all that above in him you are then saying that you believe he had a sin nature, in other words, he had a propensity to sin, his very nature was bent towards sinning. In order for that to be true we would have to believe that Jesus' real father was a natural man, because that is where the sin nature comes from.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I won't make this out to be much more than we already know about Him. Jesus is GOD, and GOD attributes are His makeup, so He had a perfect judgment against sin. He was tempted at all points like us, but because of that perfect judgment as GOD, He was unable to give into the sin like we are able to be tempted into.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I won't make this out to be much more than we already know about Him. Jesus is GOD, and GOD attributes are His makeup, so He had a perfect judgment against sin. He was tempted at all points like us, but because of that perfect judgment as GOD, He was unable to give into the sin like we are able to be tempted into.
That seems to make sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that Jesus could have chosen to sin. He can do anything He wants. Though, it goes against His character, proven by his success against the temptations.

Why would the devil even bother tempting Him if Jesus couldn't have chosen another path? The devil wasn't just born yesterday...

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus is 100% God, therefore he can not sin,

Jesus is also 100% Man, the 2nd Adam, therefore of course he could have sinned.

This is a far as I have been able to get in answering the OP…..

John O.

Ok, to answer myself:

Actually Jesus is only the 2nd Adam in the sense that through the first all men died, through Him all men can live.

It’s one man compared to one other man.

Jesus was not another attempt at Adam. Jesus was slain from the foundation of there world. This would actually predate Adam.

Jesus was the provision for reconciliation with God. The fix was in place before there was an Adam.

So, IMO, Jesus could not have failed. But, as a man he did suffer in our place.

John O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I can't prove a negative, no one can. :p
Um, you'll have to do the work yourself.

If you want to look up whether Jesus had hate in him or was arrogant, etc. etc., knock yourself out, I'm not going to waste my time. ;)

Actually I already did the work, and it seems to say He understands our temptation as He was tempted in a similar way.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
:) Thanks everyone for telling me that I am wrong, sometimes we need to hear that and go to God in prayer. Last night while I was trying to come up with the best arguements I could, I found something fighting me and showing me arguements to my arguements, it became very tiresome. In prayer I was showed how I was confusing sin nature and Jesus' human side, Jesus didn't have a sin nature but the ability to sin was always there in his humanity. I feel like such a bone head!

So, unless you want to talk about Jesus not having a sin nature, please disregard the OP.

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Hebrews 4 said:
15 For we do not have a High Priest unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who was tried in all respects as we are, apart from sin.

16 Therefore, let us come boldly to the throne of favour, in order to receive compassion, and find favour for timely help.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

Yes that would be meeeeee!!! I said it! LOL

This is how I see it.

Jesus had the ability/choice/freewill (whatever you want to call it) to sin. The fact that he didn't sin was the result of his nature (which is not a sin nature...exactly what you said) that was what I was trying to get at in the other thread.

Adam had the ability/choice/freewill to sin too but Christ had something Adam didn't have. Christ had a God nature...Adam had an human nature (he didn't have a sin nature till AFTER he sinned).

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.