Did Jesus deity leave his humanity on the cross?

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know the correct theological answer is no. But is there biblical evidence? And what if Christ's deity left his humanity when he said, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me? How would this affect the redemption of humankind?

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know the correct theological answer is no. But is there biblical evidence? And what if Christ's deity left his humanity when he said, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me? How would this affect the redemption of humankind?
It was necessary for Jesus to experience everything that humanity experiences so at some point He had to feel abandoned.

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,758.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know the correct theological answer is no. But is there biblical evidence? And what if Christ's deity left his humanity when he said, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?
Good questions :)

Judas betrayed Jesus. Peter denied him. The disciples forsook him. The wicked people spit on him, punched him, flogged him, mocked him, crowned him with sharp thorns, and finally nailed him to the cross. Jesus didn't complain about any of these to the Father.

Matthew 27:

46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).
That was the most painful moment of Jesus' life. As humans, we can't appreciate the depth of this pain. The Father and the Son/Word had been together for all eternity. There is a connection between the Father and Son. At this point, this connection was severed/forsaken for the first and only time temporarily. Jesus raised a rhetorical question because he experienced the cut/separation that all humans experience when we sin. Without this separation, it was impossible for Jesus to physically die. He took on our sins and died for our sins.

Jesus alluded to Psalm 22:

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?
Jesus felt forsaken and the separation. That was the temporal moment for the transaction of the divine exchange, 2 Corinthians 5:

21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Soon after Jesus experienced this separation, Matthew continues:

50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.
Did Jesus deity leave his humanity on the cross?

My guess is that the Holy Spirit (the deity) disconnected with Jesus' human spirit when he made the first cry. When he made the second cry, his human spirit left his physical body to die. But then, immediately, his human spirit rejoin the deity Holy Spirit. My speculation is that Jesus' deity left him between the 1st and the 2nd cry.

How would this affect the redemption of humankind?

After the 2nd cry,

51 behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.
Jesus didn't just die: He yielded up his spirit. By doing so, the separation between the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place was torn down. After Jesus' resurrection and ascension, he sent the Paraclete Indwelling Spirit to connect with our human spirit to God permanently. The indwelling Spirit was released if and only if Jesus died.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Father and the Son/Word had been together for all eternity. There is a connection between the Father and Son. At this point, this connection was severed/forsaken for the first and only time temporarily.
This is false. There can be no separation of the persons of the Holy Trinity. The Son is eternally begotten of the Father, and the Holy Spirit eternally proceeds from the Father. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He does not change.
Without this separation, it was impossible for Jesus to physically die.
This is also false, but I'm curious to see how you justify such a novel opinion.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is false. There can be no separation of the persons of the Holy Trinity. The Son is eternally begotten of the Father, and the Holy Spirit eternally proceeds from the Father. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He does not change.
I realize this comment is not for me, and I agree with you. And I realize the Christian belief is that there was never a separation of Christ's deity and humanity. But is there biblical evidence for this?

Yes, His ressurection. Blessings.
A human being can be resurrected, no?

Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can a sinless person die?
Jesus was declared dead while still on the cross. If He did not die then He cannot represent mankind.
Hebrews 4:15
(15) For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can deity die?
Death is the separation of the soul from the body. "Deity" does not have a body, however God the Word, the second person of the Holy Trinity, has a body. As John's Gospel states, "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth", so the Word who is God, has a body and can experience the separation of His soul from His body. Jesus is one person who is both human and divine. He is not two persons, one human and one divine. The person cannot be separated from their nature. Jesus is eternally God, and from the point of His incarnation He is ever man. At no point does the person Jesus Christ cease to be either human or divine.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can deity die?
I'm not into gotcha word games, go play games with someone else.
John 19:33-34
(33) But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
(34) But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Jesus and His Father worked in tandem, when Jesus healed it was His Father who actually healed, when he was on the cross that was not a tandem event, the Father could not die. The resurrection was a tandem event. Why Jesus's question, did He not know, or was the question for us to ponder.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His wounds are visible forever, biblical proof of His eternal humanity and everlasting Love.

• Friendly
Upvote 0