East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The other thing is, he says it would be uncomfortable because of his religious principles, not because he thought the guy would hit on him or get his jollies off of looking at him in the shower.

THat's a bit like a Muslim saying he is uncomfortable with having players who drink alcohol on the team.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
All examples were given as a purpose as to why sharing showers and common clothes changing places is much worse when folks have to tell all and come out 'personally' - with those who are expected to deal with it.
Yet - i am to understand that single person shouldnt have to 'deal with' their issue by not sharing it.
Irony, much.
What Irony?
Is their irony in homosexuals and bisexuals not having to hide their sexual orientation, without heterosexuals not throwing a hissy fit over it?

Hey somehow the whole 'i have rights' for my perversion doesnt surprise me, it is as expected. Tho naysayers claimed it wouldnt or shouldnt happen. Around 2003 [in another forum] i said it would happen as did anyone with any amount of human nature's understanding and sense.
Oooo. We have a clairvoyant.
What are you even talking about?
What did you see coming exactly in 2003?

Given a few more years - ppl will defend pedophilia. Its how sin runs in secular thinking.
No it wont.
No it doesn't.

The arguments will be compelling. And naturally the defense will ensue...as it does today for homosexuals in all matters.
What would a good secular argument for paedophilia even look like?

Do you really think secular law will just disregard the idea of informed consent?

This is a fine example - this thread.
1 - Its bad the hetero feels uncomfortable - thats his issue. He needs to suck it up.
2 - The gay guy shouldnt have to hide it. What a horrible idea after all - the world NEEDS to know his sexual antics.
It has nothing to do with sexual antics.
It doesn't take talking about someone's sexual actions to find out their orientation.
Think about it, for goodness sake...

The reverse just is not an option for the 'world' - its the bad hetero's. They need to deal with it - even at their own unease. [BTW unease - is because the Holy Spirit works in ppl telling us a sin isnt acceptable]
The reverse happens all the time.
I don't know what you're babbling about.

This would be similar to a woman being uncomfortable by leering - but she better suck it up. That man lusting after her - has rights to do so. ;)
What if it were your wife who came home stating she was uncomfortable at so and so staring at her?
Sexual attraction to a persons gender does not intrinsically entail leering and being rude.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The other thing is, he says it would be uncomfortable because of his religious principles, not because he thought the guy would hit on him or get his jollies off of looking at him in the shower.

THat's a bit like a Muslim saying he is uncomfortable with having players who drink alcohol on the team.

Of course, drinking alcohol is the same thing as sharing a shower with someone who is gay.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
How many slippery slopes have you ever tried to walk up that you didnt slip?

You saying the hetero is a minority?
Population wise - homosexuality is at most 7-10% in society. The minority is the one who prefers the same gender.

Yah, if there is nothing good to come from spouting off his preferences, there was NO need to do so.

Tell me what purpose there was...
He simply couldnt just live life and do what he wanted off hours. he had to move the chess pieces for what?

And FWIW - thats my biggest contention - was him making ppl uncomfortable. It wasnt relative to the game.

Do you ever get asked by people you work with, or people you meet about your family? If you're married? In a Relationship? Have kids? Live with any one? What did you do over the weekend? Who's that who you were talking to?
There are quite a number of questions which can lead to revealing ones sexual orientation. Sometimes even unintentionally.

The issue here isn't that homosexuals/bisexuals can't keep quiet about all the sex they're having.
This is NOT the only way to find out someone's orientation.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Of course, drinking alcohol is the same thing as sharing a shower with someone who is gay.

Did you actually bother to read what I wrote, and consider the meaning of the words.

Based on his quote, he is not uncomfortable because of sharing a shower. That is not the reason he gave.

If true, that makes the shower issue totally irrelevant. I was, therefore, not comparing drinking with sharing a shower at all.

He said he was uncomfortable because it was against his religious belief.

That means it is comparable to someone else's religious belief that is not universally accepted. Which is what I was doing - comparing two religious prohibitions that may not be shared by others in the community or on the job.

So, for example, we could compare it to a Muslim's belief that alcohol should not be drunk, or a Jews belief in strict monotheism, or any other similar example.

We would think it was pretty silly for the Muslim to feel actually uncomfortable that some of his teammates are drinkers, or don't agree that alcohol should be prohibited (even though it is possible that he could actually be attending various events where alcohol is actually served as part of his job.) If he came from a strict culture and really wasn't used to such things, we would probably suggest he just needs to get used to it, not that we shouldn't allow other players to ever drink, or that there should be no team events with drinking.

All of which suggests that it is not actually his difference of belief that is really the issue, no matter how he presents it (and he may even believe the way he is presenting it.)

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Do you ever get asked by people you work with, or people you meet about your family? If you're married? In a Relationship? Have kids? Live with any one? What did you do over the weekend? Who's that who picked you were talking to?
There are quite a number of questions which can lead to revealing ones sexual orientation. Sometimes even unintentionally.

The issue here isn't that homosexuals/bisexuals can't keep quiet about all the sex they're having.
This is NOT the only way to find out someone's orientation.

Yes, I never get this argument. People I work with all know I am married, and even some things about my spouse. I am pretty sure I have never talked about my sex life at work.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟70,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Like,

For instance,

you can get arrested for drinking while driving

But

You can't get arrested for showing with a gay guy while driving.

See the difference ?

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Like,

For instance,

you can get arrested for drinking while driving

But

You can't get arrested for showing with a gay guy while driving.

See the difference ?

I could say something about that...but I'll just hope that was just a hilarious malaprop from you.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
How many slippery slopes have you ever tried to walk up that you didnt slip?

You saying the hetero is a minority?
Population wise - homosexuality is at most 7-10% in society. The minority is the one who prefers the same gender.

Yah, if there is nothing good to come from spouting off his preferences, there was NO need to do so.

Tell me what purpose there was...
He simply couldnt just live life and do what he wanted off hours. he had to move the chess pieces for what?

And FWIW - thats my biggest contention - was him making ppl uncomfortable. It wasnt relative to the game.

Reading comprehension and having common knowledge of a term used regularly in conversations about societal morals and ethics is not a strong point of yours is it? There was a point in my life when I would parse stuff like that for folks. But I'm afraid it's past.

For everyone else.
I don't think, from what the fellow is supposed to have said that he was looking to be too provocative. But given the reactions he seems to be garnering, a good sort of wurm has turned in the U.S. public eye on these issues I would bet.

Upvote 0