Desperate manhunt for killer of 16 [ETA: 18] in Maine mass shooting as residents shelter in place

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟913,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, we know, all other methods for killing someone are just as effective and require the same amount of effort as pulling a trigger. The bad, bad people use guns by choice just to make gun owners look bad not because they are the most effective option.
ME. has pretty loose gun laws and yet they had 29 murders last year, It sounds to me that those laws they do have are doing a pretty job if only 29 people were murdered last year.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,213,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ME. has pretty loose gun laws and yet they had 29 murders last year, It sounds to me that those laws they do have are doing a pretty job if only 29 people were murdered last year.
Except when they don’t but that clearly that means we should repeal even more of them. We should try the same approach for holes in other safety features. Seatbelt didn’t work in a situation? Stop requiring them, in fact ban their use!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟913,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Except when they don’t but that clearly that means we should repeal even more of them. We should try the same approach for holes in other safety features. Seatbelt didn’t work in a situation? Stop requiring them, in fact ban their use!
that is the point laws will not stop everything and if only 29 people in a state with 1.4 MILLION were murdered last year those laws are currently pretty decent as 29 is a TINY percentage of 1.4 million.

Even with total gun deaths at 48-50k how many of them would be stopped by laws most people suggest I would say probably not very many percentage wise because the vast majority of gun deaths are already committed with some of the high highly regulated guns.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,555.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
so I asks what is the murder rate in other western nations or the violent crime rate for that matter?
63 homicides per 1,000,000 of U.S. population vs 11.7 homicides recorded per million population

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,555.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It sounds to me that those laws they do have are doing a pretty job if only 29 people were murdered last year.
Still really high by normal country's standards.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟913,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's really high by other county's standards.
I hate to tell you, but I just some how do not believe that 29 murders is a lot for ANY country over the course of a year. 29 gun homicides maybe but 29 murders somehow I just doubt that it is high for 29 people to die unjustly at the hands of another in a 365 day period.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,555.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I hate to tell you, but I just some how do not believe that 29 murders is a lot for ANY country over the course of a year.
It is, though, by population compared with the UK it should b about 5.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟913,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's really high by other county's standards.
I hate to tell you, but I just some how do not believe that 29 murders is a lot for ANY country over the course of a year. 29 gun homicides maybe but 29 murders somehow I just doubt that it is high for 29 people to die unjustly at the hands of another in a 365 day period.
It is, though.
so you are telling me that people in other countries hardly ever kill each other can you give me a comparion of murder rates.

Remember not all homicides by guns or otherwise are murders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟913,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've done that in post 287
oh I do not know how I missed that. I still stand by the reality that if there are 100,000s of guns in ME or heck ever 10,000s and yet only 29 murders were reported total those laws must be pretty darn good.

• Friendly
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,213,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Even with total gun deaths at 48-50k how many of them would be stopped by laws most people suggest
Quite a few in my opinion but it's an academic matter at best, this is a settled issue. This is normal and all the deaths are an acceptable loss to this country. It's time to fess up, own it and stop with all this crying about it being tragic, unacceptable. We need to start honoring those who give their lives in bowling allies, school or just going about their business in public as the martyrs for our gun laws and gun culture that they are. As I have said before, the NRA should go to the homes of their families to award posthumous honors to them.

Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟913,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Quite a few in my opinion but it's an academic matter at best, this is a settled issue. This is normal and all the deaths are an acceptable loss to this country. It's time to fess up, own it and stop with all this crying about it being tragic, unacceptable. We need to start honoring those who give their lives in bowling allies, school or just going about their business in public as the martyrs for our gun laws and gun culture that they are. As I have said before, the NRA should go to the homes of their families to award posthumous honors to them.
How much good does regulating the guns LEAST LIKELY to be used do? We have gun laws, yet the guns that are largely the most regulated are the same guns that cause most gun deaths. The guns that are the LEAST likely to be used are the ones many people want to regulate more.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,225,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You mean people shooting each other...yeah, that's exactly what we're talking about. It's a monstrously idiotic arms race. He might have a gun so you better have one. He might pull it first so you better retaliate first. After all, you thought your life was in danger because he's probably armed. If you didn't want to risk it then why are you armed?

I'll never be able to get across to you how bat s crazy it to me to talk about people shooting each other in a car park argument.

Forget about the figures. They just show the extent of the problem. It's the attitude is wrong. Dreadfully, horrifically wrong.
"Forget about the figures" isn't a mentality that should ever be part of pragmatic policymaking. Good policy is all about numbers, figures, and data...bad policy is more "feelings"-centric. (The worst kind of policy is the kind that is actually feelings-centric, but parades as data-centric by focusing on one myopically-oriented stat while ignoring all the others)

Especially when the mindset we're trying to dissect (that being, why so many US conservatives are resistant to the concept of gun control), the numbers are important.

It's also helpful when understanding why the current laws don't line up with what the majority of people want.

Point of reference (if we unpackage attitudes on various control measures that comprise the "common sense gun control suite")
Universal Background Checks have 88% support (including the support of most republicans)
Waiting periods have 78% support (including support from 53% of gun owners)
Raising the age from 18 to 21 (91% support overall, 64% support from gun owners)
Gun registries. 70% support overall
Magazine Capacity Restrictions have about 55% overall support

As I noted before, a lot of people aren't crazy about the "We should do it just like England" talk. For many folks, while everyone would be in favor of reducing one's lifetime risk of being murdered by 75% (who wouldn't be), when that comes bundled with other policies that doubles the lifetime risk of getting raped or assaulted + a 33% increase of having your car stolen or house broken into - per the figures I posted before - (considering all of those things are already far more likely than murder anyway), that's when they start to lose some people as it's less clear if that's really the win-win tradeoff it's being presented as.

Perhaps I can use an example of another issue (drugs) to illustrate the point I'm trying to convey.

Most people in their right mind would say they don't want heroin to be widely available and legal for recreational consumption. However, if the only "messenger" about that issue is the same person who just said last week that "we should criminalize all drugs to the greatest possible extent and lock people up for 10 years who get caught smoking pot, I don't care about the stats & figures, I just know drugs = death"

I assume you, like I, would have some reservations about letting them take the driver's seat with regards to drug policy, yes?

If given the choice, some people would back the candidate who obstructs any/all drug laws before they'd support the one that says "we should lock people up from smoking a joint" (even if they agree with that person on the topic of the harder drugs)

So while no reasonable person would ever say "I think it's great that people can shoot each other over a parking lot argument", most people are also not going to be cool with the concept of "if someone is trying to rob, rape, or assault you, you should just have to lay back and take it (or rely on some ineffective nonsense you learned in a karate class) because that's the civilized thing to do"

And at a certain point, people are going to start doing the "likelihood calculations" in their heads.

For instance (and this is an exaggerated example for effect)
If under the status quo, my chances of getting sexually assaulted in a parking lot were 1 out of 10
And my chances of getting mowed down in a mass shooting were 1 out of 10,000,000

And someone said "if you just give up any and all means of self defense" (that's what England has...no guns, no knives, no batons, no pepper spray", sure, your chances of getting sexually assaulted would go to 1 out of 5, but your chances of getting killed in a mass shooting would drop to 1 out of 30,000,000...

...that's not a trade-off most people would make.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,213,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How much good does regulating the guns LEAST LIKELY to be used do? We have gun laws, yet the guns that are largely the most regulated are the same guns that cause most gun deaths. The guns that are the LEAST likely to be used are the ones many people want to regulate more.
No reason to ask me that. Ask someone who harbors Pollyanna delusions of hope about our gun laws being effectively altered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Going to California with an aching in my heart
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟265,328.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Forget about the figures" isn't a mentality that should ever be part of pragmatic policymaking. Good policy is all about numbers, figures, and data...bad policy is more "feelings"-centric. (The worst kind of policy is the kind that is actually feelings-centric, but parades as data-centric by focusing on one myopically-oriented stat while ignoring all the others)

Especially when the mindset we're trying to dissect (that being, why so many US conservatives are resistant to the concept of gun control), the numbers are important.

It's also helpful when understanding why the current laws don't line up with what the majority of people want.

Point of reference (if we unpackage attitudes on various control measures that comprise the "common sense gun control suite")
Universal Background Checks have 88% support (including the support of most republicans)
Waiting periods have 78% support (including support from 53% of gun owners)
Raising the age from 18 to 21 (91% support overall, 64% support from gun owners)
Gun registries. 70% support overall
Magazine Capacity Restrictions have about 55% overall support

As I noted before, a lot of people aren't crazy about the "We should do it just like England" talk. For many folks, while everyone would be in favor of reducing one's lifetime risk of being murdered by 75% (who wouldn't be), when that comes bundled with other policies that doubles the lifetime risk of getting raped or assaulted + a 33% increase of having your car stolen or house broken into - per the figures I posted before - (considering all of those things are already far more likely than murder anyway), that's when they start to lose some people as it's less clear if that's really the win-win tradeoff it's being presented as.

Perhaps I can use an example of another issue (drugs) to illustrate the point I'm trying to convey.

Most people in their right mind would say they don't want heroin to be widely available and legal for recreational consumption. However, if the only "messenger" about that issue is the same person who just said last week that "we should criminalize all drugs to the greatest possible extent and lock people up for 10 years who get caught smoking pot, I don't care about the stats & figures, I just know drugs = death"

I assume you, like I, would have some reservations about letting them take the driver's seat with regards to drug policy, yes?

If given the choice, some people would back the candidate who obstructs any/all drug laws before they'd support the one that says "we should lock people up from smoking a joint" (even if they agree with that person on the topic of the harder drugs)

So while no reasonable person would ever say "I think it's great that people can shoot each other over a parking lot argument", most people are also not going to be cool with the concept of "if someone is trying to rob, rape, or assault you, you should just have to lay back and take it (or rely on some ineffective nonsense you learned in a karate class) because that's the civilized thing to do"

And at a certain point, people are going to start doing the "likelihood calculations" in their heads.

For instance (and this is an exaggerated example for effect)
If under the status quo, my chances of getting sexually assaulted in a parking lot were 1 out of 10
And my chances of getting mowed down in a mass shooting were 1 out of 10,000,000

And someone said "if you just give up any and all means of self defense" (that's what England has...no guns, no knives, no batons, no pepper spray", sure, your chances of getting sexually assaulted would go to 1 out of 5, but your chances of getting killed in a mass shooting would drop to 1 out of 30,000,000...

...that's not a trade-off most people would make.
Like I said, it's the attitude. If a guy demands money from you and he has a gun then you give it to him. Rummage around for your gun and he's going to shoot you. If he hasn't got a gun then you have two options. Give him your money or run away.

Best case scenario? You get out of breath and keep your money. Second best? You're short a few bucks. Third? You're dead, he's dead and a couple of innocent bystanders are dead.

My son in law used to manage a bar. Some moron with a gun tried to rob the place just before it closed. Extremely rare in Australia. What happened? My son in law gave him a chunk of money from the till and the guy left. Everyone got a couple of free drinks. The US version? Well, some 'good guy' who'd been drinking all evening thinks he'll be the hero, there are dead bodies everywhere and my daughter is a widow at 28.

Which version do you prefer?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Going to California with an aching in my heart
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟265,328.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Except that this is a RARE occuruence in ME...
A mass shooting in itself is a rare ocassion for any individual. But the argument goes that in these personally rare events, if the individual is legally armed then they can prevent the bad guy killing people.

This is a classic example of a state where there is a high rate of gun ownership and no impediment to carry your weapon in public. This should be the go to example to back up that argument. It failed. It's a useless argument.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,213,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟913,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The more people fear regulations the more that happens that is why same thing tends to happen when more restrictive gun laws are discussed.

Upvote 0