Democrats hope to prevent a 'no' vote on the Iran deal

Followers4christ

Love my wife, 2 sons and Daughter. God is great!!
Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Washington (CNN)Democrats have picked up enough congressional support for the Iran nuclear deal that they are now hoping not merely to sustain any White House veto of a resolution rejecting the agreement but also to prevent the resolution from even reaching the President's desk.

All 54 Senate Republicans are expected to vote for a resolution in mid-September disapproving of the accord, but to clear a procedural hurdle so the chamber can move on the bill, they need six Democrats to join them.

So far, only two Democratic senators have said they will oppose the agreement: New York's Chuck Schumer and New Jersey's Bob Menendez. While enough senators remain undecided to reach 60 votes against -- only 23 of 44 have committed to backing the Iran deal so far -- the steady trickle of support is dwindling that pool by the day.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/22/politics/iran-nuclear-deal-senate-democrats-no-vote/

Last edited:

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Iran consistently threatens to annihilate the Jewish state, even though world powers insist the nuclear deal will make Israel safer. It seems that Obama cares more about pleasing Iran (which hates America and Israel) then the safety of our only ally in the Middle East. I hope that the Iran deal fails and that God gives our leaders wisdom.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Iran consistently threatens to annihilate the Jewish state, even though world powers insist the nuclear deal will make Israel safer. It seems that Obama cares more about pleasing Iran (which hates America and Israel) then the safety of our only ally in the Middle East. I hope that the Iran deal fails and that God gives our leaders wisdom.

If the deal fails then Iran will steamroll ahead towards nukes, how is that a good thing?

Indeed -- at this point, Iran's a few months away (at most) from their goal. This deal puts them back at least 10 years.

As nobody has offered a better alternative, this is it.

Upvote 0

Followers4christ

Jun 17, 2005
Caldwell, Idaho
Visit site
✟30,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed -- at this point, Iran's a few months away (at most) from their goal. This deal puts them back at least 10 years.

The best solution sometimes is not the easiest. The best solution is let Israel go ahead with a surprises air strike that will halt the nuclear program as Israel has done in the past. Here are a couple of examples:

Operation opera was a air strike in 1981 on an Iraq nuclear reactor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera

Operation Orchard was an air strike in 2007 on a Syria nuclear reactor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Orchard

As we can see we don't have to make a deal that will give Iran that is run by terrorist nuclear power to stop them from getting nuclear power.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The best solution sometimes is not the easiest. The best solution is let Israel go ahead with a surprises air strike that will halt the nuclear program as Israel has done in the past. Here are a couple of examples:

Operation opera was a air strike in 1981 on an Iraq nuclear reactor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera

Operation Orchard was an air strike in 2007 on a Syria nuclear reactor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Orchard

As we can see we don't have to make a deal that will give Iran that is run by terrorist nuclear power to stop them from getting nuclear power.

If Israel wants a military strike, one that risks a wider war in the mideast, in order to set Iran back... what? 2 years? 3? 5 if they're lucky?... let them.

This could be the easiest solution... for America, that is. But only if we make it absolutely clear from the get-go that we're not going to be dragged into any war that Israel starts.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

We don't have to, but it is the most expedient, safest, and humane way to.

Global politics isn't a game of battleship where you simply bomb something and its over. We've been shown time and time again how that can play out. If Israel really wants to go through with bombing Iran, let them, but then count us out of bailing them out...again.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Do you think Iran would forgo being a few months away from their goal, to then have to wait 10 years?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think Iran would forgo being a few months away from their goal, to then have to wait 10 years?

Given how they have suffered under the sanctions and how things are improving now that money is starting to come in, some in Iran would rather wait.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Given how they have suffered under the sanctions and how things are improving now that money is starting to come in, some in Iran would rather wait.

I could see how some may want to wait.

I am just curious how we will be able to confirm, they are indeed waiting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I could see how some may want to wait.

I am just curious how we will be able to confirm, they are indeed waiting.

Inspections, assuming that they do open up for them. And that is the sticking point for most, there might not be any way to be sure we know all the production sites.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Inspections, assuming that they do open up for them. And that is the sticking point for most, there might not be any way to be sure we know all the production sites.

If we can not have a high degree of confidence in inspections, I personally struggle to determine why the deal would be beneficial.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we can not have a high degree of confidence in inspections, I personally struggle to determine why the deal would be beneficial.

The thing I hope for is they find out that open trade is more beneficial than war.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Well, that's given no matter what we do: We can't know what we don't know.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

What's the alternative? Let Israel off its leash? If they strike at production sites, how can we know they they'll get them all?

They'd be risking a full-scale war in the Middle East (which we, of course, would blithely charge into) for nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The deal is good. The deal protects Israel.

No deal means no oversight.

Agreed -- this deal pushes Iran back at least a decade... what does no deal accomplish, hmmm?

Reactions: Paradoxum
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

With the sanctions lifted, Iran gets 10 years of economic prosperity... or at least improvement.

That's worth waiting for on the nuke.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

If the deal fails then Iran will steamroll ahead towards nukes, how is that a good thing?

Given how often Iran has been caught in non-compliance with the IAEA, what's the point anyway? Lets gift them billions of dollars to not do something in 10 years that we know they will do as soon as they can?

How well did that work with North Korea?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Why wait? Once they become a nuclear power, they have a huge leverage over the nations that wish to continue sanctions.

Upvote 0