[debunked] Can new information be added to DNA?

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Based on discussion in another thread I want to make a separate post just to debunk the nonsense that "no new information can be added to DNA".

What matters in biology is structure, this because structure defines function. In other word it is all about chemistry - not information theory. Now it so happen that in chemistry physical structures causes a chemical reaction from one type of molecules to another. As such, when the structure (read: encoding) cause a reaction (read: mapping) it can be viewed as "information" processing, but what we really talk about when we say "information" is chemical reactions dependent or caused by a structure, i.e "information" in this case is actually "chemical reactions".

Knowing this, we can translate what YEC says into what it really means:
  • can new chemical reactions be added to DNA?
  • new chemical reactions cannot be created
  • it is impossible to add new chemical reactions
  • what new chemical reactions have been added?
  • you can only lose chemical reactions
  • etc, etc....

Is this true? No it isn't.... it is complete nonsense in combination with utter ignorance!

As usually it is a matter of semantic confusion. The fact that YEC does not have any evidence to bring to the table, in combination with poor scientific knowledge AND a desperation to find any evidence makes them look under every single stone the can find for anything they perceived as a conflict with the theory of evolution. By conflating two different and unrelated field based on words similarities they mange to find "proofs" that evolution is "impossible". But these "poofs" is always based on ignorance and word games on their own part.

Ignorance has never stopped anyone from doing anything...
My favorite example is as follows:

The trouble with the information argument is that it breaks as soon as information is defined. Here's my standard example:
1. An organism duplicates a hemoglobin gene
2. The new copy gets altered so that it has a different binding affinity
3. The altered gene gets deleted.

Now, since the genome is the same at the beginning and end, if information is lost at any step, it must have been gained at another. If information is constant throughout, the mechanisms of evolution can't change information in either direction and information is irrelevant.

Upvote 0