Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree that shorter work weeks are not currently necessary to provide jobs for everyone.

Agriculture adopts more and more technology every year. Not sure how you classify "hospitality workers" but even fast food ts have online ordering and payment now. I've been told that McDonalds makes burgers untouched by human hands. They come off the grill and go along an automated line receiving measured squirts of ketchup and mustard, a few pickles dropped on by machine, etc.

Supermarkets and other stores have self-checkouts. Checks (which are almost obsolete) can be deposited over the phone. More and more can be done with less and less human assistance.
Why couldn't you wear sneakers for the commute and switch to heels on the job? I've been seeing women doing that since the 80s.
This was the 70's. No one ever thought of doing it in the 70's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Horrible idea. What if you need something immediately on a Friday and can't get it because all the stores selling it are closed? Also, it is less money paid to the employees who work on hourly salaries. And believe it or not, there are people who want to work five days a week.

A better option is doing what Canada does: reducing the term "full time" to be 35 working hours instead of 40 hours, What people need is more time off later in the day, especially if they have kids in K-12 schools. Also, pregnant women get tired in the day so I think they would welcome 7-hour work days.
One option would be to have people work four days a week, but have the place open five. Each employee gets one day off during the week. Also, you said what about needing something on a Friday by that logic places should be open seven days a week because what if you needed something on a Saturday?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Horrible idea. What if you need something immediately on a Friday and can't get it because all the stores selling it are closed? Also, it is less money paid to the employees who work on hourly salaries. And believe it or not, there are people who want to work five days a week.

A better option is doing what Canada does: reducing the term "full time" to be 35 working hours instead of 40 hours, What people need is more time off later in the day, especially if they have kids in K-12 schools. Also, pregnant women get tired in the day so I think they would welcome 7-hour work days.
Are they going to get paid for only 32 hours? That won't be popular in the US.

Upvote 0