Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There is something quite sad and dark about this song. (The line about "Frankie" refers to the Frank Sinatra song, "My Way," one of his biggest hits from late in his career.)

What do you think of this song?

"It's My Life" by Bon Jovi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2u5uUu3DE

Last edited:

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My guess is that the 'darkness' is more atmosphere - I know nothing about chord progressions or anything like that (except knowing that both Alice In Chains' "Would?" and Carol of the Bells both use Phrygian mode, which explains why both of those are dark and depressing in tone), but said progressions can influence the way music is 'felt' by the listener, and it could also have to do with the choir-like background vocals, what sounds like a drum machine, and the vocoder effect.

The video having a lot of shadow in it probably doesn't help, either. I guess it's just somewhat ironic because "It's My Life" is generally regarded as one of the more 'empowering', I guess, anthemic songs from the past decade (being that it was released in 2000), rather than a downer. Really, it's almost like "Livin' On A Prayer"'s sequel, as they both are about enduring.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've never seen the video until I posted this. I was referring to the lyrics. It's a very personal song. It was written by Bon Jovi himself (as I had suspected before even learning that). He can identify himself with Frank Sinatra. It also sounds as if he has no faith in God whatsoever, but I could be reading into it.

The music, yes, is very dark also. You couldn't separate it from the lyrics.

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I can see how it could be considered "dark" in terms of the chords it uses, but I find the lyrics to be quite the opposite. It's about breaking free and living life the way you truly want to. I suppose you could interpret that it as a negative thing if you assume that "his way" involves some sort of evil or debauchery, but there's nothing in the song that implies that.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
i'm not trying to "one-up" you or anything like that, radhead, but I've heard much darker... things that would probably get me banned from this forum if i posted it

Yes, of course. I agree.

But anyone could write a dark song if they chose to, right?

I meant to say, in the realm of popular mainstream songs that most people have probably heard. (Sorry, I forgot.) I feel that there is more power in songs that have become popular. More people can identify with them.

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

[without watching the video]..i vaguely recall the song. the sad thing is most people see this type of stuff as bright and liberating. the saddest part is that the majority of these people have alienated themselves from God and have no clue.

ps - i don't know if jovi is a Christian or not.

pss - sorry, radhead, for using a expletive on you about a week ago.

Reactions: radhead
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
[without watching the video]..i vaguely recall the song. the sad thing is most people see this type of stuff as bright and liberating. the saddest part is that the majority of these people have alienated themselves from God and have no clue.

ps - i don't know if jovi is a Christian or not.

pss - sorry, radhead, for using a expletive on you about a week ago.

Could you explain to me why you think this song is sad or against God? I honestly can't see why it would be and am curious how people are reading it that way.

Upvote 0