Farmington
✟31,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I love studying the old Methodists, not only because they appear to have lived holy lives, sanctified and set apart unto God, but also because I have attended 2 different Methodist churches: one a UMC, and the other one The Wesleyan Way also under UMC but quite different. The UMC was a lady pastor, while the Wesleyan Way was a man.

I must say the lady even 25 years ago said some things that just couldn't sit right in my spirit, like "Mother/father God" and how she dismissed adultery and fornication as being serious sins, and thus permitted them without any church discipline.
The male pastor was much more scriptural, but when one man during prayer requests and praise reports thanked God for the overturning of Roe v Wade, he would not receive it, and then revealed his pro choice stand, much to the dismay of many in attendance. I came across this while doing some research on William Bramwell, who said, "How is it that the soul being of such value, and God so great, eternity so near, and yet we are so little moved?"

"Modern Methodism bears little resemblance to the Methodism that sprang from the Evangelical Revival of the 18th century, as those whose lives had been transformed by the Christian gospel were formed into societies.
The revival had waned well before John Wesley’s death in 1791 but from the early 1790s, and for a period of fifty years, a second evangelical awakening took place. Spontaneous revivals broke out all over the British Isles in varying degrees of divine power – usually limited to certain towns or denominations but at times sweeping the nation.
Most of these revivals have been forgotten, and yet a tenth of the population of our land was gathered into the Nonconformist churches in this period. So we ought to know about them, and the 250th anniversary of the birth of William Bramwell is a good time to begin.
Prayer and preaching
By his fervent preaching in the Wesleyan Connexion, Bramwell was responsible under God for the conversion to Christ of thousands of ungodly people."
Fire from heaven: William Bramwell and his ministry

This from John Wesley,

"This it is to be a perfect man, to be ‘sanctified throughout;’ even ‘to have a heart so all-flaming with the love of God,’ (to use Archbishop Usher’s words,) ‘as continually to offer up every thought, word, and work, as a spiritual sacrifice, acceptable to God through Christ.’ In every thought of our hearts, in every word of our tongues, in every work of our hands, to ‘show forth his praise, who bath called us out of darkness into his marvellous light.’ O that both we, and all who seek the Lord Jesus in sincerity, may thus ‘be made perfect in one!’”

From, A PLAIN ACCOUNT OF CHRISTIAN PERFECTION, AS BELIEVED AND TAUGHT BY THE REVEREND MR. JOHN WESLEY, FROM THE YEAR 1725, TO THE YEAR 1777. John Wesley

I totally identify with this fire they speak of, and seek it. I know the LORD dwells in fire, and our God is a consuming fire. I know without the fire of the Holy Spirit, preaching is quite dead, and those who hear it go away with little or no conviction of sin, nor admonishments to change their lives to conform to the life of the Blessed Redeemer who hath purchased them with His own blood. I've walked away from such preaching myself, head down and shaking it from side to side, almost thinking I should have stood up and shouted in the Spirit for the real fire to fall! But let everything be done decently and in order, and do not disrupt the service, but rather pray for those whose fire has been extinguished, that the fire be rekindled!

Edward M. Bounds in his book Purpose in Prayer said,
"Prayer and a holy life are one. They mutually act and react. Neither can survive alone. The absence of the one is the absence of the other. The monk depraved prayer, substituted superstition for praying, mummeries and routine for a holy life. We are in danger of substituting churchly work and a ceaseless round of showy activities for prayer and holy living. A holy life does not live in the closet, but it cannot live without the closet. If, by any chance, a prayer chamber should be established without a holy life, it would be a chamber without the presence of God in it."

Would to God I not stumble into the morass of filth I once wallowed in, and be kept by His power! I thank Him for His sanctifying Spirit! Things that once would draw my attention so much so I'd "lock on target" and fixate on, or even pursue, now turns me off, and even grosses me out at times. Scantily clad women gross me out. Get dressed and repent! The smell of liquor used to draw me in and I'd pine away for a slug of the swill. Now it makes me sick as if I smelled a deadly poison! Rock n Roll, heavy metal, I used to sing along and groove to the beat, and desire more of my favorite songs. Now it's a cacophonic noise that accosts my ears and makes me uncomfortable to be around. I get away from it if I can, or I'll try to drown it out by listening to praise music. And why do some gas stations have to have a speaker in their restroom blaring this trash? I know, because Satan's the prince of the power of the air, so I just answered my own question.

None of those THINGS have changed, but I have, and the Christ dwelling within transformed me by the renewing of my mind by the washing of the water of the Word, and setting me apart from the unclean and impure to sanctification and holiness, without which no one shall see the LORD (Hebrews 12:14) Truly, "he that feareth God shall come forth of them all." (Ecclesiastes 7:18)

I would long for a time when the wickedest of sinners can see the glow on my face, and observe from my life without me saying a word that I'd been with Jesus, that I am with Jesus! I desire that when I speak words they pierce like a sword and burn like a white hot flame of Almighty God's jealousy for our souls: The "most vehement flame" of Song of Solomon 8:6, which is in Hebrew "ShelhevetYah" The flame of Yahweh. I desire the word be like a hammer and a fire as Jeremiah said; both a sin slaying weapon, and a life renewing water and sanctifying food. Others can have their mediocre religion, and churchianity, but I must seek His all, and believe His Word when He says to forsake all and follow Him, and to deny myself and take up my cross, and to preach the gospel, for woe unto me if I preach not the gospel! As we do these things we will close on that perfection of Christ He calls us to, as it is written in Matthew 5, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Let us be edified with this snippet from George Whitefield's sermon, The Potter and the Clay,
"Will you not see reason to pray for yourselves also? Yes, doubtless, for yourselves also. For you, and you only know, how much there is yet lacking in your faith, and how far you are from being partakers in that degree, which you desire to be, of the whole mind that was in Christ Jesus. You know what a body of sin and death you carry about with you, and that you must necessarily expect many turns of God's providence and grace, before you will be wholly delivered form it. But thanks be to God, we are in safe hands. He that has been the author, will also be the finisher of our faith. Yet a little while, and we like him shall say “It is finished;” we shall bow down our heads an give up the ghost. Till then, (for to thee, O Lord, will we now direct our prayer) help us, O Almighty Father, in patience to possess our souls."

I'll conclude with what William Bramwell said here:
"Pray, O pray, my brother! never, never quit your hold of the fullness of God; for time is nearly over, and if this fullness be lost it will be lost forever. I am astonished that we do not pray more, yea, that we do not live every moment as on the brink of the eternal world, and in the blessed expectation of that glorious country."

Amen!

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟133,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love studying the old Methodists, not only because they appear to have lived holy lives, sanctified and set apart unto God, but also because I have attended 2 different Methodist churches: one a UMC, and the other one The Wesleyan Way also under UMC but quite different. The UMC was a lady pastor, while the Wesleyan Way was a man.

I must say the lady even 25 years ago said some things that just couldn't sit right in my spirit, like "Mother/father God" and how she dismissed adultery and fornication as being serious sins, and thus permitted them without any church discipline.
The male pastor was much more scriptural, but when one man during prayer requests and praise reports thanked God for the overturning of Roe v Wade, he would not receive it, and then revealed his pro choice stand, much to the dismay of many in attendance. I came across this while doing some research on William Bramwell, who said, "How is it that the soul being of such value, and God so great, eternity so near, and yet we are so little moved?"

"Modern Methodism bears little resemblance to the Methodism that sprang from the Evangelical Revival of the 18th century, as those whose lives had been transformed by the Christian gospel were formed into societies.
The revival had waned well before John Wesley’s death in 1791 but from the early 1790s, and for a period of fifty years, a second evangelical awakening took place. Spontaneous revivals broke out all over the British Isles in varying degrees of divine power – usually limited to certain towns or denominations but at times sweeping the nation.
Most of these revivals have been forgotten, and yet a tenth of the population of our land was gathered into the Nonconformist churches in this period. So we ought to know about them, and the 250th anniversary of the birth of William Bramwell is a good time to begin.
Prayer and preaching
By his fervent preaching in the Wesleyan Connexion, Bramwell was responsible under God for the conversion to Christ of thousands of ungodly people."
Fire from heaven: William Bramwell and his ministry

This from John Wesley,

"This it is to be a perfect man, to be ‘sanctified throughout;’ even ‘to have a heart so all-flaming with the love of God,’ (to use Archbishop Usher’s words,) ‘as continually to offer up every thought, word, and work, as a spiritual sacrifice, acceptable to God through Christ.’ In every thought of our hearts, in every word of our tongues, in every work of our hands, to ‘show forth his praise, who bath called us out of darkness into his marvellous light.’ O that both we, and all who seek the Lord Jesus in sincerity, may thus ‘be made perfect in one!’”

From, A PLAIN ACCOUNT OF CHRISTIAN PERFECTION, AS BELIEVED AND TAUGHT BY THE REVEREND MR. JOHN WESLEY, FROM THE YEAR 1725, TO THE YEAR 1777. John Wesley

I totally identify with this fire they speak of, and seek it. I know the LORD dwells in fire, and our God is a consuming fire. I know without the fire of the Holy Spirit, preaching is quite dead, and those who hear it go away with little or no conviction of sin, nor admonishments to change their lives to conform to the life of the Blessed Redeemer who hath purchased them with His own blood. I've walked away from such preaching myself, head down and shaking it from side to side, almost thinking I should have stood up and shouted in the Spirit for the real fire to fall! But let everything be done decently and in order, and do not disrupt the service, but rather pray for those whose fire has been extinguished, that the fire be rekindled!

Edward M. Bounds in his book Purpose in Prayer said,
"Prayer and a holy life are one. They mutually act and react. Neither can survive alone. The absence of the one is the absence of the other. The monk depraved prayer, substituted superstition for praying, mummeries and routine for a holy life. We are in danger of substituting churchly work and a ceaseless round of showy activities for prayer and holy living. A holy life does not live in the closet, but it cannot live without the closet. If, by any chance, a prayer chamber should be established without a holy life, it would be a chamber without the presence of God in it."

Would to God I not stumble into the morass of filth I once wallowed in, and be kept by His power! I thank Him for His sanctifying Spirit! Things that once would draw my attention so much so I'd "lock on target" and fixate on, or even pursue, now turns me off, and even grosses me out at times. Scantily clad women gross me out. Get dressed and repent! The smell of liquor used to draw me in and I'd pine away for a slug of the swill. Now it makes me sick as if I smelled a deadly poison! Rock n Roll, heavy metal, I used to sing along and groove to the beat, and desire more of my favorite songs. Now it's a cacophonic noise that accosts my ears and makes me uncomfortable to be around. I get away from it if I can, or I'll try to drown it out by listening to praise music. And why do some gas stations have to have a speaker in their restroom blaring this trash? I know, because Satan's the prince of the power of the air, so I just answered my own question.

I would long for a time when the wickedest of sinners can see the glow on my face, and observe from my life without me saying a word that I'd been with Jesus, that I am with Jesus! I desire that when I speak words they pierce like a sword and burn like a white hot flame of Almighty God's jealousy for our souls: The "most vehement flame" of Song of Solomon 8:6, which is in Hebrew "ShelhevetYah" The flame of Yahweh. I desire the word be like a hammer and a fire as Jeremiah said; both a sin slaying weapon, and a life renewing water and sanctifying food. Others can have their mediocre religion, and churchianity, but I must seek His all, and believe His Word when He says to forsake all and follow Him, and to deny myself and take up my cross, and to preach the gospel, for woe unto me if I preach not the gospel! As we do these things we will close on that perfection of Christ He calls us to, as it is written in Matthew 5, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Let us be edified with this snippet from George Whitefield's sermon, The Potter and the Clay,
"Will you not see reason to pray for yourselves also? Yes, doubtless, for yourselves also. For you, and you only know, how much there is yet lacking in your faith, and how far you are from being partakers in that degree, which you desire to be, of the whole mind that was in Christ Jesus. You know what a body of sin and death you carry about with you, and that you must necessarily expect many turns of God's providence and grace, before you will be wholly delivered form it. But thanks be to God, we are in safe hands. He that has been the author, will also be the finisher of our faith. Yet a little while, and we like him shall say “It is finished;” we shall bow down our heads an give up the ghost. Till then, (for to thee, O Lord, will we now direct our prayer) help us, O Almighty Father, in patience to possess our souls."

I'll conclude with what William Bramwell said here:
"Pray, O pray, my brother! never, never quit your hold of the fullness of God; for time is nearly over, and if this fullness be lost it will be lost forever. I am astonished that we do not pray more, yea, that we do not live every moment as on the brink of the eternal world, and in the blessed expectation of that glorious country."

Amen!
As a Catholic, I can not comment much, but I have noticed that the Methodist church has changed. The UMC has become more liberal when it comes to ordaining LGBT priests, so much so that the Global Methodist Church (GMC) was formed in 2022. Priests should never act on their lust. For me, I am a bi guy, but will always remain celibate and unmarried, unless married to a woman. For the trans stuff, that should stay far away from churches. So yes, the old-school Methodists, or this new GMC stick the most true to the Bible compared to the modern day UMC.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
As a Catholic, I can not comment much, but I have noticed that the Methodist church has changed. The UMC has become more liberal when it comes to ordaining LGBT priests, so much so that the Global Methodist Church (GMC) was formed in 2022. Priests should never act on their lust. For me, I am a bi guy, but will always remain celibate and unmarried, unless married to a woman. For the trans stuff, that should stay far away from churches. So yes, the old-school Methodists, or this new GMC stick the most true to the Bible compared to the modern day UMC.

That's exactly the kind of testimony a lot of these churches need. I also see it a lot in Congregational churches, and if you look around, there's so called "affirming" (Rainbow) Catholic churches as well.
I can understand the celibacy part as I've partaken in that now for 6 years though it's only been really the past couple of years I'm enjoying it and not pining for a wife. I have female friends, but all are married and it's in the environment as Christian sisters.

Man, I forgot a portion from my notebook I meant to put in this post! In the paragraph about women, liquor, and rock n roll, supposed to say,

"None of those THINGS have changed, but I have, and the Christ dwelling within transformed me by the renewing of my mind by the washing of the water of the Word, and setting me apart from the unclean and impure to sanctification and holiness, without which no one shall see the LORD (Hebrews 12:14) Truly, "he that feareth God shall come forth of them all." (Ecclesiastes 7:18)

I suppose I can edit and add it where it was supposed to go.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟133,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's exactly the kind of testimony a lot of these churches need. I also see it a lot in Congregational churches, and if you look around, there's so called "affirming" (Rainbow) Catholic churches as well.
I can understand the celibacy part as I've partaken in that now for 6 years though it's only been really the past couple of years I'm enjoying it and not pining for a wife. I have female friends, but all are married and it's in the environment as Christian sisters.

Man, I forgot a portion from my notebook I meant to put in this post! In the paragraph about women, liquor, and rock n roll, supposed to say,

"None of those THINGS have changed, but I have, and the Christ dwelling within transformed me by the renewing of my mind by the washing of the water of the Word, and setting me apart from the unclean and impure to sanctification and holiness, without which no one shall see the LORD (Hebrews 12:14) Truly, "he that feareth God shall come forth of them all." (Ecclesiastes 7:18)

I suppose I can edit and add it where it was supposed to go.
I am gonna tell you something. Not a lot of Christians on the left (or the far-right) would like to hear this:

Christians, especially modern churches, have gone so far from the Bible, that cafeteria Christianity has become a thing in the past few decades, especially in liberal and ultraconservative Christianity. Cafeteria Christianity is a term used to describe the practice of selecting and choosing only certain beliefs, teachings, or practices from Christianity while rejecting others. It is often used pejoratively to criticize individuals who pick and choose which aspects of Christian doctrine they wish to follow, rather than adhering to the religion's traditional teachings as a whole. The term "cafeteria" suggests that these believers are approaching their faith like they would a buffet line, taking what they want and leaving behind what they don't. This approach can lead to inconsistencies in belief and practice, and it may result in distorted understandings of Christian teachings.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I am gonna tell you something. Not a lot of Christians on the left (or the far-right) would like to hear this:

Christians, especially modern churches, have gone so far from the Bible, that cafeteria Christianity has become a thing in the past few decades, especially in liberal and ultraconservative Christianity. Cafeteria Christianity is a term used to describe the practice of selecting and choosing only certain beliefs, teachings, or practices from Christianity while rejecting others. It is often used pejoratively to criticize individuals who pick and choose which aspects of Christian doctrine they wish to follow, rather than adhering to the religion's traditional teachings as a whole. The term "cafeteria" suggests that these believers are approaching their faith like they would a buffet line, taking what they want and leaving behind what they don't. This approach can lead to inconsistencies in belief and practice, and it may result in distorted understandings of Christian teachings.

Yow! That is just right on. Don't like the onions cuz they sting your eyes? Don't take 'em. Don't like fish (The healthiest meat and what Jesus ate), leave it, don't need that bad taste (Though I think it's delicious and is my favorite food). Steak too tough? Get rid of it. Oh those horrible peas, ew, can't have those (I personally love fresh peas) Spinach, nope....

So to take this analogy a bit further, people take all the junk food and what tastes sweet to the flesh, but is unhealthy for the rest of the body (of Christ, soul & spirit)

In other words, all the God loves us verses are fine. Hell verses are ignored. Verses about morality are complained about as being for another era of time and not now.

Judgment is rejected or allegorized as something that happens within but doesn't really apply to some final judgment.

That's the basic approach at the cafeteria church! Oh, there is snake on the menu and they seem to eat a lot of that!

One scary thing is I played around with this for awhile, and it was not satisfying at all. I picked up many addictions to mask the fact I knew it was wrong. Thank God for His deliverance from ALL that!!!

• Winner
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟133,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yow! That is just right on. Don't like the onions cuz they sting your eyes? Don't take 'em. Don't like fish (The healthiest meat and what Jesus ate), leave it, don't need that bad taste (Though I think it's delicious and is my favorite food). Steak too tough? Get rid of it. Oh those horrible peas, ew, can't have those (I personally love fresh peas) Spinach, nope....

So to take this analogy a bit further, people take all the junk food and what tastes sweet to the flesh, but is unhealthy for the rest of the body (of Christ, soul & spirit)

In other words, all the God loves us verses are fine. Hell verses are ignored. Verses about morality are complained about as being for another era of time and not now.

Judgment is rejected or allegorized as something that happens within but doesn't really apply to some final judgment.

That's the basic approach at the cafeteria church! Oh, there is snake on the menu and they seem to eat a lot of that!

One scary thing is I played around with this for awhile, and it was not satisfying at all. I picked up many addictions to mask the fact I knew it was wrong. Thank God for His deliverance from ALL that!!!
Yep. I like your analogy extension.

2 Timothy 4:3 (ESV): "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions"

According to some interpretations of Biblical prophecy, particularly in Revelation and 2 Timothy 4:3, the rise of cafeteria Christianity could be seen as a sign of the end times. These verses suggest that there will come a time when people will no longer tolerate sound Christian teaching and instead seek out teachers and preachers who cater to their own desires and passions.

In this context, cafeteria Christians might selectively embrace teachings that align with their own values and preferences, even if those teachings contradict established Christian doctrine. For example, someone might support same-sex marriage or transgender rights while ignoring or reinterpreting relevant Bible verses. Similarly, others might prioritize economic prosperity over environmental stewardship, supporting industries such as Big Oil despite their negative impact on God's creation.

These actions, according to some interpretations, reflect a broader trend toward moral relativism and away from objective truth. By calling evil good and good evil, people risk distorting the true message of Christianity and compromising its core principles.

Upvote 0