"Dangerous" to read other holy books?

single eye

Jun 12, 2014
✟16,169.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ananda, not the same thing at all. The purpose we chose for ourselves is one for which we are uniqely qualified, meaning no one else can do it and if we don't do it it doesn't get done and the world is worse off. Each person's purpose is unique to them, and there is not such thing as a universal purpose for us all. This is consistant with free-will and accountability. You say that you do not find the god of the o.t. to be the first cause, and I agree. So do you see him as good or evil? Or perhaps you think he is a ficticious character who doesn't exist at all?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Ananda, not the same thing at all. The purpose we chose for ourselves is one for which we are uniqely qualified, meaning no one else can do it and if we don't do it it doesn't get done and the world is worse off. Each person's purpose is unique to them, and there is not such thing as a universal purpose for us all. This is consistant with free-will and accountability. You say that you do not find the god of the o.t. to be the first cause, and I agree. So do you see him as good or evil? Or perhaps you think he is a ficticious character who doesn't exist at all?
I see the god of the O.T. to be a very real but limited deity who is under various delusions.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Ananda, So do you see writings in the o.t., n.t, and the dhp's as all being equal? If not, how do you prioritze them?
My primary scriptures are the Nikayas (including the Dhp), then Jesus' teachings in the gospels of the N.T.; then, I am open to other pseudographa that is in harmony with the former.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

single eye

Jun 12, 2014
✟16,169.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ananda, that does not answer the question. I can read in a science book that water has three forms, gas, liquid, and solid. Then I can conduct experiments to demonstrate this. This does not cause me to decide to put this book in with other books, in a particular order, on that basis. Truth is relative, not absolute. Truth may only be mildly interesting, while other truth can be profoundly important.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Ananda, that does not answer the question. I can read in a science book that water has three forms, gas, liquid, and solid. Then I can conduct experiments to demonstrate this. This does not cause me to decide to put this book in with other books, in a particular order, on that basis. Truth is relative, not absolute. Truth may only be mildly interesting, while other truth can be profoundly important.
I understand :) I answered the way I did because I believe your question to be outside the boundaries of this particular forum (Unorthodox). If you wish to repost your question in, perhaps the World Religion forum, I'd be glad to continue this discussion there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I want people of other religions to consider the message of the Bible, should I be willing return the favor and read their holy books as well?
The answer to that question is "no." If it's possible to have another person open up to finding the truth, great. But it's not as though you have any obligation to study his false scriptures just to be "fair" or as though there's a competition between the two people's faiths and you're saying you'd be just as willing to change to his as you want him to change to yours.

However, to read the other religion's writings for the sake of informing yourself of the contents isn't a bad idea in itself.

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, sorry. I am speaking here of the lost books of the bible.
Actually, you're speaking of books that were never in the Bible. That's why we were confused when you referred to other books of the Bible. There aren't any that are not either Old Testament or New Testament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0