Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TrustingmyLord

Well, the Bible teaches us moderation and I think that going to extremes on either end is wrong. For Christians the cross has significant meaning, but it is due to Christs' WORK on the cross we are saved, not by the cross itself. I do believe it could be a form of idolatry if someone is obsessed with it, or believes it holds some power in and of itself.

I have also know people who went to the other end of the extreme. I knew a woman who would wear a cross, but NEVER one with Jesus still on it. She would get real snooty when she saw someone with Jesus on their cross, she'd say (not to them, of course) "MY Jesus isnt on the cross anymore!"

So I guess thats my opinion on it; any extreme is not good. The cross doesnt protect us, God does. Nothing wrong with wearing crosses either. Even with Jesus still on it.

Upvote 0

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
TrustingmyLord said:
I have also know people who went to the other end of the extreme. I knew a woman who would wear a cross, but NEVER one with Jesus still on it. She would get real snooty when she saw someone with Jesus on their cross, she'd say (not to them, of course) "MY Jesus isnt on the cross anymore!"

I feel the same way as that woman though. You have to understand. The emphasis that she is putting is not so much on the cross but it is on the resurrection.

We must recognize two things: That Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that He rose from the dead on the third day. That's why people like myself and that woman say "Jesus isn't on the cross anymore." Instead, Jesus is high and lifted up. He is at the right hand of the Father. He is reigning on the throne. He is risen, as the scriptures say.

To the glory of God,

Randy

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

I feel the same way as that woman though. You have to understand. The emphasis that she is putting is not so much on the cross but it is on the resurrection.

Oh, dont get me wrong, its not that I disagree. Jesus IS high and lifted up, not on the cross anymore, of course. I suppose its just that the woman had a very snooty and rude attitude about it that I didnt find Christian-like. That is one of the reasons I felt she was going to an extreme.

Upvote 0

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
eh7 said:
How do you view Christians who treat the cross as a kind of protection and good luck?
the same way I view the many Christians with fish on their cars, bumper stickers, WWJD braclets, etc.....
*Hopefully the snooty people who think that those of us who wear a crucifix are very aware that Christ is risen....we all sure do.....are reasons are very profound and meant to make one humble...to remind us that are sins put Him there....It's very easy to "look" at a bare cross huh?

Upvote 0

f.o.o.t.man

May 14, 2004
Arkansas
✟7,950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
seekingpurity047 said:

We must recognize two things: That Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that He rose from the dead on the third day. That's why people like myself and that woman say "Jesus isn't on the cross anymore." Instead, Jesus is high and lifted up. He is at the right hand of the Father. He is reigning on the throne. He is risen, as the scriptures say.

To the glory of God,

Randy
I agree to some extent. It is important to emphasize that Jesus did not stay dead. However, I feel that being forceful in such a way creates division and conflict. To create conflict regarding the cross is silly. If this woman were to gently express the fact that Jesus did not stay dead I would have no problem. To assert such a remark so forcefully may create animosity between her and other believers. Paul warned about such divisions. (See 1 Corinthians 1:10-17) An issue as central as the cross is no place to try to create bad feelings or division.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
seekingpurity047 said:

Should someone become snooty though and judgemental because someone wants to put emphasis on the crucifixtion and what Jesus accomplishe WHILE hanging on the cross?

Should we be judging each other because one wants to put emphasis on the resurrection and the other wants to put emphasis on the crucifixtion?

By the way . . I use both . . one to remind me of what Christ suffered and did for me while ON the cross, the other to remind me of the cross I AM TO BEAR.

The empty cross is really not limited to being understood as refering to the resurrection . . it is OUR cross that we must bear too . . .

To the glory of God,

Randy

Yes He is . . :) I think sometimes though we tend to not look too much at Him on the cross and what He did there . . .

Have you ever contemplated this while looking at a crucifix? It transfixes you . . . . It pierces your heart.

Peace

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
I find it very interesting that Paul said this:

1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

I never see anywhere in scripture someone saying

1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him resurrected

Nowhere . . .

I find it sad that some who want to put so much emphasis on the resurrection think that those of us who put emphasis on Christ Crucified are putting emphasis on the wrong thing even though we are simply doing as Paul did. :(

Peace

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Melethiel said:
Why would an empty cross symbolize the Resurrection? The cross would be empty whether or not Jesus rose.

I usually wear a crucifix, myself.

I agree . . An empty cross does not, in and of itself, sumbolize the resurrectoin.

It would seem to me that to symbolize the resurrection, one would want to use the empty tomb . . or have a risen Christ in front of the cross, as I have also seen people use and wear. :)

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
eh7 said:
How do you view Christians who treat the cross as a kind of protection and good luck?

I don't think the cross should be used as a good luck charm (although I once told a young gypsy, who threatened to curse me, that the cross I was wearing symbolized more power than any words she could say -- scared her silly!).

As for wearing an empty cross or a crucifix -- personal choice, I'd say. It should be first, a reminder to you of the focus of your faith and second, a witness to the world of who you believe in. If you wish/need to be riminded of the suffering of Christ for our sakes--wear a crucifix. If your focus needs to be on the risen Christ and being the hands for His work today, or acknowledging the cross you must bear, go with the empty cross. As long as the cross itself does not become an object of worship, but is only a symbol or reminder of Christ and all He did, any cross you wear should be fine.

(PS--personally I wear a celtic cladaugh cross -- the heart, hands and crown motif remind me to love others, serve God and others and remain loyal to God and Christ.)

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't worn a cross regularly for a long time (sometimes to church).

I think it all depends on why the cross is being worn/carried, and what it means to the person.

For me, when I did, it was a way of immediately "marking" myself as a Christian. I decided, given my environment, that it was better to not pigeon-hole myself and to let people get to know me gradually, and so I stopped wearing it.

Wearing it for protection or good luck is fetishism (in the original meaning of the word, not the sexual meaning). The golden ornament on a necklace has no power of its own, and treating it as if it does can be a form of idolatry.

Wearing it as a reminder of God's power is something else entirely, whether it's a bare cross or a crucifix.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.