✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi!
I was wondering what the most common objections by theistic evolutionists to these quotes are. These are verses that indicate either a world-wide flood, six day creation, or the existance of man since the begining of creation.

Exd 20:11For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

This was written by the finger of God into solid rock. It seems to me to clearly state that the universe was created in six days.

Mar 10:5-6 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the
hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the
beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

Luk 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which
have been since the world began:

I am aware that some new translations put it "Have been of old" but the greek directly translated clearly states "Since the world began"

2Pe 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished

Some other verse are Acts 3:21, 2Peter 2:5, 1 Peter 3:20, Mat 24:37, Isa 54:9, I haven't the complete list with me at the moment, but I'll try to post them later.

THank you for your input!

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Theologically I have no problem with any of the young Earth or flat Earth or hail stored in barrels verses found in the Bible, they all help make valid points and reveal truths to us in a way that God’s creation cannot. It is when people try and take these theological points and turn them into history or rules for the physical universe and end up destroying both their theological value and the Bibles credibility, that I have a problem.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
RightWingGirl said:
Hi!
I was wondering what the most common objections by theistic evolutionists to these quotes are. These are verses that indicate either a world-wide flood, six day creation, or the existance of man since the begining of creation.

Why are you assuming that theistic evolutionists have any objection to these verses?

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Three other folks have said what I'm going to say, but I'll take it one step further:

Not only do I not object to those verses in particular, I do not object to any of the verses to be found with canonical scripture. Scripture is after all a revelation of nature, character and will of God to mankind.

What I do object to is the use of scripture in way that goes outside of its intent. Scripture primarily tells us WHY in relation to Creation, whereas Creation itself is the primary revelation of the HOW. In this way, when scripture and Creation conflict, then I accept Creation in preference over scripture.

And just the same, Creation has little to do with or say about salvation, and so in that case I prefer scripture over Creation.

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm... Maybe my question could be better worded what makes you think that these verses are only intended as an illustration, or a myth, instead of fact?

Exd 20:11For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

What do you think the average Hebrew of the time would have thought was meant by this?

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
RightWingGirl said:
Hmm... Maybe my question could be better worded what makes you think that these verses are only intended as an illustration, or a myth, instead of fact?
RightWingGirl said:

What do you think the average Hebrew of the time would have thought was meant by this?

That God is ultimately responsible for the motions of the moon, on which the Hebrew calendar was based, and they could stop worshiping the Babylonian or other moon gods for this.

Upvote 0

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LewisWildermuth said:
Theologically I have no problem with any of the young Earth or flat Earth or hail stored in barrels verses found in the Bible, they all help make valid points and reveal truths to us in a way that God’s creation cannot. It is when people try and take these theological points and turn them into history or rules for the physical universe and end up destroying both their theological value and the Bibles credibility, that I have a problem.

My, my, my... You have: "...no problem with ...flat earth or hail stored in barrels verses found in the Bible..."

Would you be good enough to reference these verses? As you are no doubt aware, twisting scriptures to fit a predetermined mind-set is not a good idea.

And from what theological perspective do you think flat earth and barrels full of hail are taught in the Scriptures?

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WAB said:
My, my, my... You have: "...no problem with ...flat earth or hail stored in barrels verses found in the Bible..."

Would you be good enough to reference these verses? As you are no doubt aware, twisting scriptures to fit a predetermined mind-set is not a good idea.

And from what theological perspective do you think flat earth and barrels full of hail are taught in the Scriptures?

I pass on the flat earth thing, but I believe one can find entire warehouses full of hail referenced in the Book of Job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
RightWingGirl said:

That God established rhythms of work and rest in creation which humanity is to observe by resting from work on the seventh day.

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
LewisWildermuth said:
That God is ultimately responsible for the motions of the moon, on which the Hebrew calendar was based, and they could stop worshiping the Babylonian or other moon gods for this.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure where you are comming from. How could this---
Exd 20:11For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it

---have anything to do with moon gods?:confused:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
RightWingGirl said:
Hi!

RightWingGirl,

A careful reading of Genesis One will reveal what was actually created in the six day period. Carefully read the account several times, then several times more. Then again; and again. Use the concordance, commentary, and dictionary. Then carefully meditate on what you've read. Of course pray for understanding as well. To really understand God's word you must know it inside and out, back and forth, up and down. Don't take anyone's word for what it means. Learn what it means for yourself. I know this is hard, not the way you're used to learning, but you can do it. God caused His word to be published in book form so that you and I can personally access His mind, Discovery through personal study of God's truth is very exciting and leads to more and more understanding, and great confidence.

oldwiseguy:liturgy:

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
oldwiseguy said:
RightWingGirl said:
Hi!

RightWingGirl,

A careful reading of Genesis One will reveal what was actually created in the six day period. Carefully read the account several times, then several times more. Then again; and again. Use the concordance, commentary, and dictionary. Then carefully meditate on what you've read. Of course pray for understanding as well. To really understand God's word you must know it inside and out, back and forth, up and down. Don't take anyone's word for what it means. Learn what it means for yourself. I know this is hard, not the way you're used to learning, but you can do it. God caused His word to be published in book form so that you and I can personally access His mind, Discovery through personal study of God's truth is very exciting and leads to more and more understanding, and great confidence.

oldwiseguy:liturgy:

Thank you!:) I'm YEC myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chaoschristian said:
I pass on the flat earth thing, but I believe one can find entire warehouses full of hail referenced in the Book of Job.
Yes... hail is stored in vast amounts in certain clouds. It was just the reference to literal barrels and warehouses that raises the objection. Have a hunch there is not enough wood available (or cement, or steel) to build the necessary numbers of barrels or warehouses.

Upvote 0

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
artybloke said:
Sure it's true. Just not factual.

I confess to not being the smartest guy around, and so would you please explain to me how something can be true but not factual?

Or... how can something (anything) be factual but not true? After all, for the one postulation to be true (or factual?) the reverse must be as well.:confused:

Reactions: Gwenyfur
Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, he didn't say it was fact and not true. He said it was true and not fact. Very different. Like how dogs are animals, but animals are not dogs.

As for how that can occur, here's an example. Phoenixes will rise up again reborn after burning to ashes. It's a true statement, but no phoenix has actually ever risen up from its ashes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.