The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was traveling through Ohio and northern Kentucky recently and saw brochures, signs and billboards for the Creation Museum and the recently opened Ark Encounter. Apparently, the hotels near those places are doing a nice business as people are coming from near and far to visit them. Acquaintances have talked about wanting to go there. They seem somewhat dismayed that I don't seem as eager as they are about them. What is your take on both? Have you been to either one? Are you interested in visiting them?

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If someone had a gun to my head and demanded that I visit one of these museums or else they'd pull the trigger, I'd tell them to shoot.

These places are a shameful display of stubborn ignorance, and are an embarrassment to our nation and to the human race as a whole, as well as to the Christian tradition in particular. It's bad enough that some people are in such a state of denial about science that they actually have museums with people riding dinosaurs and such (Save it for the next Jurassic Park sequel), and apparently think the Flintstones was a documentary, but what's even worse is that children who should be learning about the wonderful processes and great archeological ages that progressed from single-celled organisms to the great diversity of life that exists today, are instead being lied to. They'll either come to a point where they understand they were being lied to and probably lose their religion with their beliefs on this subject, because it was all tied together as a package for them at an impressionable age, or they won't ever understand that they were misled, and I honestly don't know which is worse.

I'm not going to call this being taught to children uncritically child abuse, and adults do have the right to believe what they want and to have museums to this stuff if they want, I believe in freedom of speech, but, to be honest with you, if I ran the world, I'd much sooner restrict museums like this to people 18 and older than I would an R-rated movie. If children see a movie that contains brief partial nudity or a fake explosion, I think they'll turn out okay in the long. If children are exposed to these type of creationist museums, though, I'm afraid the effects could be much more profound and lasting.

It feels like there are some parts of the country that want to re-litigate the Scope's monkey trial.

You know, to me, evolution isn't something that discredits spirituality, because it's actually a really sublime thing to think of all these different creatures and time periods and things evolving and leaving the sea and building up to the dinosaurs and so on and so forth. I was sitting in a parking lot a few months ago in a car, just staring down at a small bird that was wandering around at the parking lot, and I got this like weird almost flashback when the thought occurred to me that a hundred million years ago, that bird's dinosaur ancestor may have been staring down at my small mammalian ancestor.

There's a lot more true religion and spiritually in evolution, which is the truth of creation, than in "creationism", a small-minded untruth. I love the Book of Genesis as poetry and as sacred scripture, but it's not a historic textbook, and it's not a science textbook, and it was never meant to be. Creationists are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I'm sorry if that was a little too diplomatic. Maybe someday I'll tell you all how I really feel about this subject. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have not been, but I will take my grandchildren one day soon; if for no other reason but to re-enforce that there are still people who have a reverence for the Scriptures and do not reject the clearly stated truth of the six day creation. It will show them that despite the lies from evolution proponents, it is possible to reject the claims of evolution and still understand that there are provable scientific processes that do not rely on an adherence to molecules-to-man. Our world was created by God and gives testament to His authority. It's good that there are still people willing to stand up for the lessons taught in God's word.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I guess that's one affirmative and the rest negative. Can anyone imagine something like this in any country but the U.S.? I doubt it would gain any traction even in Israel.

One interesting aspect, and an irony at that, is that the builders of the ark welcome people who don't accept the flood story but might appreciate the spectacular engineering and construction feats that were needed to build the modern version. I wonder where Noah found engineers, craftsmen and tools for his project, and from where he obtained all the wood?

Upvote 0

Luke17:37

Jan 2, 2016
United States
✟12,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Was traveling through Ohio and northern Kentucky recently and saw brochures, signs and billboards for the Creation Museum and the recently opened Ark Encounter. Apparently, the hotels near those places are doing a nice business as people are coming from near and far to visit them. Acquaintances have talked about wanting to go there. They seem somewhat dismayed that I don't seem as eager as they are about them. What is your take on both? Have you been to either one? Are you interested in visiting them?

My opinion is that they are extremely well done. They were created to be a light in a dark world, to share the message of the gospel, and to help people understand how they can trust biblical authority (and answer questions). I went a month ago and spent three days there. I encourage you to check it out for yourself (visit) and make your own opinions about the messages of the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Our son and his family just went to both two weeks ago. the Creation Museum is mainly for unbelievers and uneducated people on the Bible. The Ark Encounter was wonderful. Our daughter in law home schools and it fit her schooling perfectly.

They both said it is still being finished on the AERK. The costs are moderate, but its not inexpensive. They told us a reasonable sum to bring for food hotels and both amusements should be about $500 for the two of us. that would be staying at a nice place and eating out in nice places. they really enjoyed it and the kids did too. But bring your reading glasses as there is a lot to read. We hopw to go next year, Lord willing.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If someone had a gun to my head and demanded that I visit one of these museums or else they'd pull the trigger, I'd tell them to shoot.

These places are a shameful display of stubborn ignorance, and are an embarrassment to our nation and to the human race as a whole, as well as to the Christian tradition in particular. It's bad enough that some people are in such a state of denial about science that they actually have museums with people riding dinosaurs and such (Save it for the next Jurassic Park sequel), and apparently think the Flintstones was a documentary, but what's even worse is that children who should be learning about the wonderful processes and great archeological ages that progressed from single-celled organisms to the great diversity of life that exists today, are instead being lied to. They'll either come to a point where they understand they were being lied to and probably lose their religion with their beliefs on this subject, because it was all tied together as a package for them at an impressionable age, or they won't ever understand that they were misled, and I honestly don't know which is worse.

I'm not going to call this being taught to children uncritically child abuse, and adults do have the right to believe what they want and to have museums to this stuff if they want, I believe in freedom of speech, but, to be honest with you, if I ran the world, I'd much sooner restrict museums like this to people 18 and older than I would an R-rated movie. If children see a movie that contains brief partial nudity or a fake explosion, I think they'll turn out okay in the long. If children are exposed to these type of creationist museums, though, I'm afraid the effects could be much more profound and lasting.

It feels like there are some parts of the country that want to re-litigate the Scope's monkey trial.

You know, to me, evolution isn't something that discredits spirituality, because it's actually a really sublime thing to think of all these different creatures and time periods and things evolving and leaving the sea and building up to the dinosaurs and so on and so forth. I was sitting in a parking lot a few months ago in a car, just staring down at a small bird that was wandering around at the parking lot, and I got this like weird almost flashback when the thought occurred to me that a hundred million years ago, that bird's dinosaur ancestor may have been staring down at my small mammalian ancestor.

There's a lot more true religion and spiritually in evolution, which is the truth of creation, than in "creationism", a small-minded untruth. I love the Book of Genesis as poetry and as sacred scripture, but it's not a historic textbook, and it's not a science textbook, and it was never meant to be. Creationists are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I'm sorry if that was a little too diplomatic. Maybe someday I'll tell you all how I really feel about this subject. ;)

Very well said!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Okay, I guess that's one affirmative and the rest negative. Can anyone imagine something like this in any country but the U.S.? I doubt it would gain any traction even in Israel.

One interesting aspect, and an irony at that, is that the builders of the ark welcome people who don't accept the flood story but might appreciate the spectacular engineering and construction feats that were needed to build the modern version. I wonder where Noah found engineers, craftsmen and tools for his project, and from where he obtained all the wood?

Only in America???!! LOL!

Noah’s Ark Life-Size Replica in Hong Kong
Hong Kong’s three billionaire Kwok brothers built the world’s first life-size replica of Noah’s ark, built to Biblical specifications, complete with fiberglass animals. The “vessel” is 450-feet-long and features a luxury rooftop hotel. The Noah’s Ark project reflects Thomas Kwok’s evangelical Christian faith. During the 1990s, he set up a church on the 75th-floor pyramid atrium atop Sun Hung Kai’s Central Plaza office complex. The Noah’s Ark project was initially hatched as a theme park with rides, until Mr. Kwok decided the project should be something more than that. The Kwoks’ version of the ark, sits on 270,000 square feet of space and was developed in conjunction with five Christian organizations, houses a restaurant, exhibition hall and children’s museum in addition to the Noah’s Resort hotel.

ark14.jpg

ark15.jpg

ark09.jpg

ark13.jpg

Noah’s Ark Replica in Holland
Johan Huibers is the 50-year-old builder of the Dutch ark. A contractor by trade, Huibers built the ark of cedar and pine. Huibers did the work mostly with his own hands, using modern tools and with occasional help from his son Roy. Construction began in May 2005. On the uncovered top deck is a petting zoo, with baby lambs and chickens, and goats, and one camel. The ark is one-fifth the size of the Biblical original. Visitors on the first day were stunned. Huibers said he hopes the project will renew interest in Christianity in the Netherlands , where church going has fallen dramatically in the past 50 years.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-10_14-15-29.png
    upload_2016-9-10_14-15-29.png
    158 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Too bad you have SUCH A NEGATIVE OPINION, ITS WELL WORTH WHILE.

It's too bad you couldn't respond to a disagreeing opinion calmly without resorting to rude all-cap screeching. What I wrote is honest. It was formed from what other Christians who've been to it have said. They encouraged people to donate the $ spent to charity instead.

Eta: costs of going there: https://arkencounter.com/tickets/
It cost over a $100 million to build. I think Jesus would have used that money to help people in need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I would have imagined that anybody seeing this boat would look at it, then imagine the amount of space needed for a pair of every unclean animal and SEVEN PAIRS of every clean animal and saying "Yep, this seems like it could fit". Giraffes, by the way, are clean animals. So fourteen of them need to fit on this boat to start. Fourteen oxen, fourteen cows. Unless Noah's Ark was a TARDIS, you aren't fitting those animals on that boat.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟101,337.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Oh, they'd put one up in Israel. Remember, up on the Sea of Galilee there's a place where the Israelis have built a glass walkway right exactly at the level of the lake. This way, visitors can walk out on the lake, see the water beneath them, and have pictures taken of them walking on water.

Tacky? Yep.
A monument to religion? Well, the Israelis who built that probably are not Christians...
A great tourist trap? Oh yes!

If I were nearby and had time, I'd go see the Ark. That'd be cool, I think, such a big wooden ship, see how something that size could have held a lot of animals. Thought about what it would be like. I go see Star Wars and Star Trek and I watch Game of Thrones. I watched Lord of the Rings. Those things are all complete fantasies. Maybe the Creation story and the Flood story are myths - I myself am not as sure of that as I once was (after all, there's the Shroud of Turin and the Lanciano Miracle and the Incorrupt bodies of Saints and all of those Lourdes miracles, and the miracles that have happened to me directly, and the visions - all of those things show me to my face that God commands the physics and does as he pleases. So the Creation story and the Ark COULD be true. I just don't know.)

If they really ARE true, it would be interesting to see how they worked. And if not, well, I watched that big ball roll down the chute in Indian Jones's temple there, so why not go look at a full-sized mock up of an older fable?

I don't get angry about what people believe. I doubt that we're all riding on the back of a turtle, especially given those photos from space. But maybe the turtle is BEHIND the earth when the photo was taken. I kind of doubt it, but it's a fun thought. Certainly not something to get exercised about.

Worrying about fundamentalists believe is like the Democrats and Republicans all having conniption fits over what the other side believes. It's a waste of energy, really.

Noah's Ark? Maybe. Doesn't seem likely from the physical evidence, but it's fun to think about.

I'd pay $10 to see it, maybe $15. I wouldn't pay $27.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,101,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I lived in St. Louis County, a neighbor once invited me to tour "The Living World," an exhibit at the zoo, with her Assembly of God minister who would explain to the attendees all the scriptural errors in the exhibit.

I was polite but quick-witted, easily inventing a conflict which would prevent me from attending.

I don't think that there are many people in the U.S. who are "uneducated" about Genesis and the scriptural story of creation. I just think that most recognize that God is so much greater than our imaginations can grasp--and that is better to accept that we will never be able to "grasp" the whole mystery than to settle for a version of Creation that gives the "truth" of God's role in creation with overly simplistic details that have been disproved by science in thousands, perhaps millions of different details.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would like to go just to see the Ark just to hear what they think and see how well it was done

I do know a few Catholics who are Creationists
but I know this is a minority view within our tradition

St. Augustine had an interesting view about Creation
he did not believe in a literal 6 Day Creation
his views were more informed by the prominent Greek philosophy of the time

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I lived in St. Louis County, a neighbor once invited me to tour "The Living World," an exhibit at the zoo, with her Assembly of God minister who would explain to the attendees all the scriptural errors in the exhibit.

I was polite but quick-witted, easily inventing a conflict which would prevent me from attending.

I don't think that there are many people in the U.S. who are "uneducated" about Genesis and the scriptural story of creation. I just think that most recognize that God is so much greater than our imaginations can grasp--and that is better to accept that we will never be able to "grasp" the whole mystery than to settle for a version of Creation that gives the "truth" of God's role in creation with overly simplistic details that have been disproved by science in thousands, perhaps millions of different details.
Were the errors in Scripture or in the exhibit? I first assumed it was the exhibit but then I wasn't sure. Don't know much about the Assembly of God.

People may not be "uneducated" but there has developed in the U.S. a conflict between some religious beliefs and scientific discoveries, a conflict created by biblical fundamentalists. It pains me that so many children today are being led to think that science is essentially wrong, bad, and even evil.

Another irony of the Kentucky ark is that it took centuries of scientific inventions and discoveries to build it. Watch the videos and note the really big cranes and other construction equipment, the computers used by the engineers, and as Ken Ham says, the 100's of (scientific and technical) experts needed to design and build it. And all the wood; an immense amount of wood.

Upvote 0