Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Did you read the arguments? Otherwise you can't comment on their sources.

I did, but a literal approach presents problems in what is observed. If one realises there is metaphors, parables, poetry etc, then the truth that God created comes out, not how and further on, you realise that trees don't really talk (Isaiah 14.8).

The other point is that you need an unbiased source to back up your claims. An ancient Hebrew website has no particular agenda. This is where the beauty of Genesis 1 comes out. It was never intended as a science book, but the fact God created, it is good, he set the 7th day for the Sabbath and Man is the pinnacle of his creation in a poetic form.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟23,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Moses could not have known how God created even when it was God who inspired him to write what he wrote, really? Now, here is where our differences meet head on. It's true that God didn't reveal scientific information to Moses, His inspiration to Moses was simply that He did this by speaking things into existance and making things by his word. Moses had no reason to ad-lib or create poetry. It seems to me that in Genesis 1 you want it to be a scientific account and because it's not you resort to believeing it's poetry, well, it don't work that way. It should be enough that when God tells Moses that He spoke things into existance, and made things by his word, that it was as simple as that.
I think that up to and including Noah is tens of thousands of years of unwritten oral history, which God used as an expedient platform to expound upon. Diluting this message with all sorts of caveats about how the universe is really more complex would not have served any purpose.

Upvote 0

Fascinated With God

Traditional Apostolic Methodist
Aug 30, 2012
NY
✟23,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You seem to be missing the poll stats. Most see God's handy work the same as I do. You are the one not seeing it the way most do.
A longer running poll with a few more data points on the Origins board gives a somewhat different picture:

Young Earth Creationist
15 45.45%
Old Earth Creationist
bar3-l.gif

2 6.06%
Theistic Creationist (if that distinction matters to you)
4 12.12%
Theistic Evolutionist (strictly secondary causes)
12 36.36%

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟404,772.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to be missing the poll stats. Most see God's handy work the same as I do. You are the one not seeing it the way most do.

I notice though this poll is in the Christians Only section, that couldn't have ANY bias in the poll could it?

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ohh how can I get mind reading abilities like you've got?
Let's see. Given that the two choices are the Genesis account or evolution, and given that atheists do not believe in the Genesis account or anything having to do with God, what is left?

WOW!!! THAT WAS HARD!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟404,772.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's see. Given that the two choices are the Genesis account or evolution, and given that atheists do not believe in the Genesis account or anything having to do with God, what is left?

WOW!!! THAT WAS HARD!!!!!!!!!

Wow, you must be viewing a different poll, the one I see has 4 Choices, including "Other" & "I Don't Know"
But I do notice you didn't tell me how to get that magical Mind reading power :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, you must be viewing a different poll, the one I see has 4 Choices, including "Other" & "I Don't Know"
But I do notice you didn't tell me how to get that magical Mind reading power :(
I always wondered about people who answered a poll with "I don't know." I mean really, why answer it?

As for other, that leaves what; theistic evolution? Naaaah. That's just evolution by another name.

Perhaps the OP simply didn't choose to include atheists.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟404,772.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always wondered about people who answered a poll with "I don't know." I mean really, why answer it?
Because they're asked, and they don't know the answer.

As for other, that leaves what; theistic evolution? Naaaah. That's just evolution by another name.

Perhaps the OP simply didn't choose to include atheists.
And their by putting bias into the poll answers.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And their by putting bias into the poll answers.
If they were polling Christians, why include atheisis? maybe they wanted to know what Christians thought. You could always do a like poll among atheists. Who knows. You MIGHT find one who doesn't believe in molecules-to-man.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟404,772.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they were polling Christians, why include atheisis? maybe they wanted to know what Christians thought. You could always do a like poll among atheists. Who knows. You MIGHT find one who doesn't believe in molecules-to-man.

OP Question
I will probably be in the minority of having literal belief in the Genesis account of creation, but that is what I truly believe.

Just out of curiosity I'd like to run a poll to gage the consensus on the topic.

There is no need to comment, but feel free to if you wish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,403.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Also it's not only Atheist & Christians out their in the world, so the Poll is still biased by posting it in the Christian only section.

It would seen silly to me to offer an atheist an option concerning God.

The reason that it is in the Christian section, is because I want a Christian reponse. I have no interest in the views of atheists, budhists or anyone else out there in the world.

Upvote 0