Could Aug. 22 Be the End of the World Thanks to Iran?

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maynard Keenan said:
I'm posing my question to those who think Iran is about to launch nukes. Where do they get these nukes?
by refining materials. I don't think they have the capability yet, but they are certainly approaching it faster then we would like.

They have also been buddies with Russia, one of the 2 nuclear superpowers.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Vylo said:
by refining materials. I don't think they have the capability yet, but they are certainly approaching it faster then we would like.

They have also been buddies with Russia, one of the 2 nuclear superpowers.

I think everyone missed my point. People have begun speaking of Iran as if they are already in posesstion of nuclear weapons, I've been seeing it more frequently now. But they do not posess them.

Upvote 0

philosopherthales

Oct 30, 2004
✟583.00
Faith
Deist
I find it silly the arrogance over the statements about what Iran does and does not have militarily. The fact is, a lot of countries have secret weapons programs and weapons. We thought that Saddam had WMD, but he didn't it appears. That can work both ways. In fact, it is more likely to work the other way. We can think they don't have something and they can have it.

As a result of accidents, some 51 nuclear warheads were lost into sea (44 Soviet and 7 U.S. However, at least one Soviet warhead was recovered). Also, seven nuclear reactors (5 Soviet and 2 U.S.) from three Soviet and two U.S. nuclear-powered submarines have been lost at sea due to accidents. Another 19 nuclear reactors from nuclear-powered vessels have been deliberately dumped at sea (18 Soviet and 1 U.S.).

A U.S. Air Force B-47 bomber carrying two capsules of nuclear materials for nuclear bombs, en route from MacDill AFB, Florida, to Europe, failed to meet its aerial refueling plane over the Mediterranean Sea. An extensive search failed to locate any traces of the missing aircraft or crew.
http://archive.greenpeace.org/comms/nukes/ctbt/read3.html

The fact is, the world is oozing with nuclear materials as a result of the Cold war. It is in the ground just waiting to be picked up. Iran has a mine, Iran has centrifuges. There are accidents where nuclear material is lost and not recovered. A country with nuclear weapons spread out all over the place broke into about 20 countries recently (anyone, know what I am talking about?).

known stock-piles
United States
Russia
China
France
Israel*
United Kingdom
India**
Pakistan**
North Korea***
TOTAL
http://encarta.msn.com/column_nukes_tamimhome/Whosgotnukes.html

9 countries have them. Including, it seems, North Korea which is known for its extensive missiles trade with Iran.

Step by step, Iran is mastering the art of missile production. With help from North Korea, Iran has learned to build its own version of the Soviet Scud-B missile, which can deliver nuclear or chemical warheads up to 300 kilometers, and may soon begin producing the more powerful Scud-C, which can fly up to 600 kilometers. If Iran continues on its present course, it could field a missile capable of reaching Israel within the next few years.

North Korea is Iran's primary source of missile technology. Since 1985, Pyongyang has sold Tehran hundreds of Scud missiles and the factories to build them. Twice in the past four years, the U.S. State Department has penalized North Korean exporters and the Iranian buyers by imposing trade sanctions.

The world is at a crossroads. 60 year old technology has the potential to be involved in conflicts with casualties never before seen. All it takes is a determined group to spark the use of nuclear weapons on a large scale. And if people think that people aren't crazy enough to use them - think again. The U.S. has used them. People need to remember that there are many people who care not for this life, but only for the percieved next eternal life. Castro said that he would have supported using nuclear weapons from their bases in the event of an American invasion during the Cuban-missile crisis with full knowledge that it could lead to the countries destruction. Glitches in satellite technology had made it appear that nuclear weapons were being launched. This period is more dangerous than the cold war. A comprehensive all-encompassing strategy to avert disaster in the post-Cold War nuclear age needs to be attempted at least. Bush is the only one who has attempted it (and he seems to have failed). I don't really blame him for trying and failing. The situation looks bad.

Would Iran nuke Isreal. It could. I hear people use the "nuke them" attitude in the U.S. far too often. I think that large amounts of people don't have the neccesary respect for human life and knowledge of the weapons potential destruction to be averse to the idea. Plus, nuking Israel might not lead to Iran's destruction. Israel is small, thus meaning that a nuke or several covertly placed could wipe them out before a response can be made. Is the U.S. going to nuke back for Israel (risk nuclear escalation)? You know, the whole, we nuke you, you nuke back harder, we nuke back hardest idea?

The middle east is a complex place. The only thing that is certain is uncertainty. That being said, Iran probably does not have nukes. They probably are not willing to preemptively use them if they have them unless attacked directly. They are probably not going to do it on Aug. 22 if they are willing and have access to nuke/s.

Upvote 0

just_dance

Nothing But The Blood
Jul 26, 2004
✟1,461.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Look it is Augest 22 and nothing happened I think God must have a giant calendar and when someone says the end of the world would happen on this date he crowwes it out and says "opps can't happen on this date". Just for an analigy.

We Christians are supost to be ready but not even Jesus knew when he was returning so why do people guess. It could be tomorrow or 100 years from now we just don't know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Vylo said:
I have found it surprising that Iran would be so difficult with this nuclear issue, as they have heavy disdain for WMDs after their war with Iraq.

Things change over time. Unfortunately, this is not a step in the right direction for Iran nor the Middle East. The US is not helping either and the UN is not doing it's job. Who do we have to rely on now?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We will see what comes of this. If we can be assured Iran will only be using nuclear technology for peaceful means and there is the needed oversight, then perhaps we can make amends with Iran and slowly wear away their hostilities.

Upvote 0

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Iran probably wants nukes because after it has nukes it doesn't have to worry about being invaded by the US. At least doesn't have to worry as much. Being a nuclear power gives you a lot more influence. How much noise do we make about Pakistan? How much discussion has there been of attacks on North Korea?

Upvote 0

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But now they're pretty much free from the threat of US invasion, as long as they don't attack anyone they aren't in much danger of being attacked.

Of course it' always possible that Iran just wants Nuclear energy and that all the diplomatic trouble is simply because they feel bullied and insulted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums