back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I thought it was the liberals who were supposed to be disappointed with Pope Francis. ...

Pope’s Foot-Wash a Final Straw for Traditionalist Catholics

(I didn't even know it was against Tradition to wash a women's feet)

I talked about this a bit in a thread I made.

Traditionally, Holy Thursday has celebrated the Last Supper and the institution of the sacerdotal priesthood. The washing of the feet was seen as Christ choosing His apostles as priests.

I think Pope Francis was choosing to emphasise Christ as servant, showing that we all ought to be servants to each other. I suppose that is a breach of tradition, but I doubt it's anything to leave the Church over.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You think the liberals/reformers will be upset with this Holy Father?

Or are you simply using the word "liberal" to mean someone who wants a women's priesthood?

Some would use that term that term for those who want to abolish the Vatican bank, revamp the administration at the Holy See, have serving the poor and weak as our highest priority. Perhaps "liberal" means changing the system so that the scandals can finally end, within the Vatican and the sexual scandals throughout the world. Some would call that "liberal" or even "radical".

My guess is that there will be as many changes in this the next 5-10 years than in almost any other such period in centuries, with the possible exception of the period immediately after Vatican II.

And, as with Vatican II and its aftermath, I think that the traditionalists will be far more upset that liberals within the Church.

The pope upsetting neo-catholics, aka traditionalists, is more entertaining than seeing him upsetting liberals, who are always upset. :D

Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Everyone I know irl, liberal or conservative, likes this Pope so far. The only people I've seen take it to him are Internet blowhards, that has to be a good thing. I appreciate that, if nothing else, Pope Francis has given us stuff to talk about in his first days, few others have.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Part of Catholicism is believing that the Church is the one true Church set up by Christ and the Apostles... So some supposed Catholic "traditionalists" are going to leave the Church because of some girls getting their feet washed? LOL... Tell that one to Jesus... "Sorry Jesus, I had to leave your Church because these girls got their feet washed by the Pope. I just couldn't take it anymore..." LOLOLOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You do recall the reaction to alter girls?

Part of Catholicism is believing that the Church is the one true Church set up by Christ and the Apostles... So some supposed Catholic "traditionalists" are going to leave the Church because of some girls getting their feet washed? LOL... Tell that one to Jesus... "Sorry Jesus, I had to leave your Church because these girls got their feet washed by the Pope. I just couldn't take it anymore..." LOLOLOL

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
According to canon law - it has to be 12 priests he does this for.
The ones having difficulty - like the canon law being changed first - then the acts done.

I guess technically - in matters of practice - the Pope can change them...

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It seems to me that some people do not have a clear idea of the difference between tradition and Tradition.

Which is not to say that traditions should be abandoned at will or that they are not important.

But I do not see how this could be breaking Tradition.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IMHO so-called traditionalists are supporters of the traditions of the 50's and earlier. Almost everyone supports the Tradition of the Church.

It seems to me that some people do not have a clear idea of the difference between tradition and Tradition.

Which is not to say that traditions should be abandoned at will or that they are not important.

But I do not see how this could be breaking Tradition.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,032.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think I am fairly traditional and I love the guy

his style is not my style
and maybe my style should be more like his style

I love that about the catholic church
the diversity of saints
not sayin i am a saint
not by a longshot
but I really like this new Pope

And I realy like this humble yet very wise post. Thank you Rhamiel...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,032.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

So true...^_^

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Christ washed the feet of his disciples the evening before he was executed to tell them that he was not their leader, in fact he was their equal, and also their servant.

If trads have a problem with that, I am guessing it's because they have bunions or plantar fascitis and they don't want anyone seeing their feet. Or maybe they're close drag queens and they don't want anyone to notice their toe nail polish. The bunions would explain why they'll all so crabby, though.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Christ washed the feet of his disciples the evening before he was executed to tell them that he was not their leader, in fact he was their equal, and also their servant.
Jesus wasn't showing them that He was not their leader, but rather how true leadership should be carried out. Leadership should be carried out in a spirit of service, not in an arbitrary or oppressive manner--like the Gentiles who lorded it over their subjects.

That's also why when the Apostles were discussing who would be the greatest among them (ie the leader), He didn't say no one would be, but rather that the one who would be greatest would have to be the servant of the others (a traditional title of the Pope is "servant of the servants of God" for this reason).

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's interesting that people feel that this pope will somehow take back or make useless what the last one was trying to promote and uphold.

If there is a real belief in the role of the Pope as the CC teaches, could it not be that both these things they were supporting are important? Perhaps Benedict's work in bringing back a sense of the continuity of tradition, the role of the material things of the Church in helping the faithful, is complementary to what Pope Francis is going to emphasize?

Of course for most people, if the Pope did something really wild, they might start to question whether the Catholic Church was really what it claimed to be. I think that is reasonable - if sudenly you realized that being Catholic was going to mean embracing some belief you saw as manifestly untrue, well, that would be a problem for anyone. But it does not seem like Benedict or Francis has done or said anything quite that nutty, or even nearly that nutty.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting that people feel that this pope will somehow take back or make useless what the last one was trying to promote and uphold.

If there is a real belief in the role of the Pope as the CC teaches, could it not be that both these things they were supporting are important? Perhaps Benedict's work in bringing back a sense of the continuity of tradition, the role of the material things of the Church in helping the faithful, is complementary to what Pope Francis is going to emphasize?

Of course for most people, if the Pope did something really wild, they might start to question whether the Catholic Church was really what it claimed to be. I think that is reasonable - if sudenly you realized that being Catholic was going to mean embracing some belief you saw as manifestly untrue, well, that would be a problem for anyone. But it does not seem like Benedict or Francis has done or said anything quite that nutty, or even nearly that nutty.

I trust the Church more then I trust myself
I trust the Church because I trust Jesus, and He is the Lord of all.
this does not mean that everything that a Pope does will be good, there have been good Popes who made mistakes
and there have been bad Popes who had the Papal palace look more like a brothel then the living quarters of the Vicar of Christ
I am not saying that Pope Francis will be that bad, lol from what I have seen he looks like a very good an holy man
but even if the Pope were a man of vice, he would still be Pope and I would still have to be loyal to him.

Upvote 0