Jul 13, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My ideas usually come from life. Life with a twist sometimes, but life. I write what I know. I often find it to be the most authentic. For instance there is one author I read that is facinated with the UK and the culture and people of the UK. I think she has one of the most authentic voices because she writes as an American who is fascinated with the UK not as if she is from the UK. Conversely, I read another author, who gives north Louisiana characters south Louisiana names, clearly missing that most North Louisiana power players do not have cajun names and it sounds to me a little less authentic even though I still like her stuff. By the way so that you don't think I'm saying that all I do is reality these are both fanasy fiction writers.

So I guess what I'm saying is my best ideas begin with something real and go from there.

Upvote 0

Jeff91199

The Guy in the Soundproof Box
Aug 31, 2003
New York, New York
Visit site
✟8,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends. I get many of my ideas from real-life situations, and occasionally from things that I've read or watched. F'rinstance, I had a horrible temp assignment at a high school this week, and got the idea for a story, similar to The Breakfast Club, but with temporary clerical workers instead of high school students in detention.

Upvote 0

violetpen

Creative ink spilling on the page
Apr 7, 2007
Visit site
✟8,346.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My influences are everywhere. I've read so many books, watched hundreds of movies, gone to different churches, and lived with eight siblings. It's hard to tell WHERE I get my ideas! A lot of the beginning story situations are draw from my own experience and magnified several times (for instance, feeling trapped by circumstances can translate into someone held in a situation against his will). That helps me be able to relate emotionally to my characters.

Upvote 0

Flayer of Falacies
Aug 24, 2005
Somewhere between Bliss and Misery...
✟383.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Most of mine are dream-based; most others that I write are just started on issues or themes that I feel strongly about.

There is also the rare occasion I tell people to force me to write something so I don't fall into a funk. I hate writer's block. HATE it.

Upvote 0

Doubtless

my life is entr'acte...
Feb 21, 2007
Ask me again in twenty minutes.
✟8,066.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...and lived with eight siblings.

Sweet! Me too! Well, seven actually, I was one of eight.

Back on topic, though, somebody famous, or maybe a writing book or something, said that what you write is a compilation of everything you've ever read, watched, seen, and done. Nobody just makes something up off the top of their head; it all comes from somewhere. Every story you read will influence you either in a positive or negative way, and a small part of that author's style, or a style in spite of that author's style, will always creep into your works.

Believing that, it's good to read the Bible. hehe.

~Doubtless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunstruckdream

Simply fantastical!
Oct 9, 2005
✟15,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
my ideas usually spring into my head from a random source, like a character name i like or a myth or historical topic that i'm currently fascinated with. the ideas start rough and small, though, and they tend to grow through my daydreams and writing sessions.

Upvote 0