Pittsburgh, PA
✟15,270.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't mind at all... My parents brought me up mainly protestant - jumping from different church to church (we moved a lot). We went to baptist churches, assembly of god, presbyterian, christian alliance, etc. Some of my best friends in were Catholic and sometimes I would accompany them to mass. Since I've been on my own and now even married with my own children, I've tried other places, but always have come back to the Catholic Church. It's time for me to just stay, I believe. :)

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I don't mind at all... My parents brought me up mainly protestant - jumping from different church to church (we moved a lot). We went to baptist churches, assembly of god, presbyterian, christian alliance, etc. Some of my best friends in were Catholic and sometimes I would accompany them to mass. Since I've been on my own and now even married with my own children, I've tried other places, but always have come back to the Catholic Church. It's time for me to just stay, I believe. :)

:crossrc:

Upvote 0

henrikhankhagnell

searching for real christianity
Aug 24, 2010
Where I am right now, I guess
Visit site
✟8,373.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I am not Catholic yet but I am walking slowly
I think that the Franciscan spirituality was one of the reason why I came back to God. I think the monasteries/Convents are great help for non-catholics to become Catholics.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

Albania1

death to all savage communists and fascists alike
Aug 21, 2011
Eastern Europe
✟15,167.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
well, part of my family has possibly been athiest [due to living in communist albania], but we all converted back to roman Catholicism or eastern orthodoxy. my dads side of the family however always maintained their religion and opposed the communists, although they were usually jailed for years...

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Warlock
Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well, part of my family has possibly been athiest [due to living in communist albania], but we all converted back to roman Catholicism or eastern orthodoxy. my dads side of the family however always maintained their religion and opposed the communists, although they were usually jailed for years...

May God's love and kindness and blessings be with you and your whole family.

I could see the struggle with having faith in an atheist... communist country... it must have been quite difficult for both sides of the family.

I don't know what to say...

Welcome to the OBOB.

God's peace,

Debbie

Upvote 0
M

Mountain King

I'm starting RCIA in less than 3 weeks. I've been a Christian for a long time (conservative Anglican for the last 10 years), but the Holy Spirit won't let me stay away any longer! Church history, the testimony of Scripture and of the Saints, and a number of answers to prayer all testify that the Catholic Church is the place to be. I am looking forward to meeting you all and growing alongside some incredible people here!

Reactions: Irenaeus
Upvote 0

ojohn

Sep 5, 2011
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After studying long time history of church looking where modren church is going I decided to go back orginal church 2008 very happy about descion I find very deep full circle most bibilcal church I ever been in Anyway dont have time to go into everything but hope you find Peace and Joy of Lord in your life pay close attention to words of baptisimal commiment very strong Good Luck on your Journey:cool:

Upvote 0

mdd2299

Tiber Swim Team
Oct 11, 2011
Hocking Hills, Ohio
✟7,622.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
I joined the Church in 2004. My parents and I attended an independent Church of Christ when I was a child. Then as a teenager I briefly attended a United Methodist church and finally I was a very active member of a Church of Christ in Christian Union. It was in that church my journey to Catholicism began. They started allowing something that our family considered to be totally unbiblical. When I went to the pastor about it, he told me that what my parents and I believe is a Catholic and a Baptist belief. So, I started researching what different denominations taught and why. The evidence for the Catholic Church was just too overwhelming to ignore. Sadly, my parents bounced around from church to church until they settled on a Southern Baptist church. So, now our family is estranged so to speak when it comes to matters of faith.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I joined the Church in 2004. My parents and I attended an independent Church of Christ when I was a child. Then as a teenager I briefly attended a United Methodist church and finally I was a very active member of a Church of Christ in Christian Union. It was in that church my journey to Catholicism began. They started allowing something that our family considered to be totally unbiblical. When I went to the pastor about it, he told me that what my parents and I believe is a Catholic and a Baptist belief. So, I started researching what different denominations taught and why. The evidence for the Catholic Church was just too overwhelming to ignore. Sadly, my parents bounced around from church to church until they settled on a Southern Baptist church. So, now our family is estranged so to speak when it comes to matters of faith.
hmm do you mind me asking what the unbiblical belief was that made you want to learn more about other denominations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mdd2299

Tiber Swim Team
Oct 11, 2011
Hocking Hills, Ohio
✟7,622.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
hmm do you mind me asking what the unbiblical belief was that made you want to learn more about other denominations?

The main belief that drove me away was the ordination of women. It started out as a couple women in the congregation being ordained as "evangelists" which meant that they couldn't be a pastor of a home church. However, since we left that church, the pastor has retired and one of the women ordained as an evangelist has now become the new pastor. Ironically, she was raised Catholic.

There were other little tidbits as well, such as one time the pastor said in a sermon that anyone that had a can of "Budweiser" in their refridgerator couldn't be "saved".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF and OBOB :)
What an awesome testimony: thank you for sharing it!
When the Lord has His Hand on you, He won't let go ;)
But we also have to be open and accepting; and that you surely were!
I will be praying for your spiritual journey; you will have a special place in my prayers at Easter Vigil this year :hug:
May God bless you in His Merciful Love :crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abrahamist

Roman Catholic Convert
Mar 21, 2012
United States
✟15,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm a convert to Catholicism and will be confirmed this Easter.

I was raised as a Protestant in a 'rock concert' Megachurch and was taught to believe that God communicated directly to the individual through the Bible. I had also been lead to believe that the Catholic Church was established and paganized by the Roman Emperor Constantine in the 4th century.

Over time, I became disgusted with my church's practice and grew to see the whole things as being phony and so deconverted.

I was an atheist for a while and then I started studying Buddhism.

A few years later, I started reading the Old Testament again but instead of reading it the way I was taught as a protestant, I read it more like I had been taught to read the eastern texts and over time I realized that the God of the Old Testament was the real God of the universe.

This lead me to believe that the Bible really was the inspired word of God after all, but that not all interpretations of it are divinely inspired.

From studying both Jewish history and the history of the early church, it became overwhelming clear that scripture was written, canonized and interpreted all by the guide and light of tradition. It also became overwhelmingly clear that all those practices that I once thought were pagan were actually held over from Judaism, that Constantine's pagan ideas about Jesus (or any other pagan practice from that time) never found their way into church teaching and that the early church could not have even survived had it not been unified (or catholic).

I am so glad to have finally found the real thing.

But at the same time, it's kind of bittersweet. I wish I had found Catholicism much earlier in life but I didn't even know to look. I was cheated out of the real thing for a long time because I was given a fake that used the same name as the real thing. And so when I finally went looking for the real thing, I didn't know what to look for because I had already been lead to believe the real thing was a fake.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,688,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a convert to Catholicism and will be confirmed this Easter.

I was raised as a Protestant in a 'rock concert' Megachurch and was taught to believe that God communicated directly to the individual through the Bible. I had also been lead to believe that the Catholic Church was established and paganized by the Roman Emperor Constantine in the 4th century.

Over time, I became disgusted with my church's practice and grew to see the whole things as being phony and so deconverted.

I was an atheist for a while and then I started studying Buddhism.

A few years later, I started reading the Old Testament again but instead of reading it the way I was taught as a protestant, I read it more like I had been taught to read the eastern texts and over time I realized that the God of the Old Testament was the real God of the universe.

This lead me to believe that the Bible really was the inspired word of God after all, but that not all interpretations of it are divinely inspired.

From studying both Jewish history and the history of the early church, it became overwhelming clear that scripture was written, canonized and interpreted all by the guide and light of tradition. It also became overwhelmingly clear that all those practices that I once thought were pagan were actually held over from Judaism, that Constantine's pagan ideas about Jesus (or any other pagan practice from that time) never found their way into church teaching and that the early church could not have even survived had it not been unified (or catholic).

I am so glad to have finally found the real thing.

But at the same time, it's kind of bittersweet. I wish I had found Catholicism much earlier in life but I didn't even know to look. I was cheated out of the real thing for a long time because I was given a fake that used the same name as the real thing. And so when I finally went looking for the real thing, I didn't know what to look for because I had already been lead to believe the real thing was a fake.
Welcome home. :)

Upvote 0