Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello all,

I'm going through a rather strange thing. Whenever I meet up with groups of people, be they Christians or not, I'm often left feeling very empty and disappointed.

I feel like that unless I'm learning something new from others (or a new way of seeing things), or sharing something new or special with them myself, spending time with people is a bit pointless. This in turn makes me feel like I'm being arrogant, because it's as if I'm judging most other people as shallow; but I really can't help these feelings. I enjoy intense conversations and I love intense characters, and it's something I've really missed recently. I know there is a place for more relaxed banter, but should it really be the norm, or worse still, should it replace talk about God outside of strict "Bible study" sessions?

Some amazing, passionate Christians (and non-Christians!) have been put in my path at various points, and I know two or three today, but I'd love to be "under" someone, if that makes any sense - to learn from someone for a period. Or, to be in a group where spiritual conversations flow as easily as "normal" conversations do (as if there should be any difference anyway!), where deep friendship is matched with deeper explorations of God, His word, and the the real difficulties we can all experience when trying to follow Him.

I've also noticed that in most conversations, people simply wait their turn, and don't listen to what others say. It's a simple point, but it only dawned on me in full force recently. I'm sure we're all guilty of it sometimes, but it's depressing how common it is. It's not that I feel like people don't listen to me - it's not as self-absorbed as that. It's more that it seems like nobody listens to anybody. There are wonderful exceptions to this, of course, and many wonderful people who listen and share in an edifying way, but much conversation seems to be a mindless game of filling in silence.

How amazing it must have been for the disciples! To walk with Jesus and have Him teach you...

Please pray for me about this. I'm just as guilty as anyone else - foul words often come out of my lips, along with foolish, time-wasting talk. I know there's worse problems people are going through, but I don't want to avoid going out just because I find interaction pointless, because isolation does strange things to the mind. :)

the.Sheepdog

You must be born again!
Oct 26, 2008
Sanford, FL
✟31,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
When I was in the military in Okinawa, I met a Japanese man we called Mr Hono. His name was longer and hard to pronounce and he allowed us to trim it. Anyway at lunch, Mr Hono would squat on the dock of the loading bays and just seem to stare out at the jungle. I sat with him once (just cant squat!) and after about 15 minutes asked him what we were doing. He said "listening to the ancestors". Japanese families make small shrines in the jungle to their ancestors and go visit and make lunch and chat with the dead. I wasnt a Christian yet and asked him why are we listening to the ancestors? What do they tell us?

he said " They tell us many things: what to watch out for, when to fear and when to be brave". I said "what are these ancestors telling us today Mr Hono?

He said " They tell me not to bring eggs to visit next time as they dislike eggs!"

Seems strange conversations are not just the domain of the living!

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all,

I'm going through a rather strange thing. Whenever I meet up with groups of people, be they Christians or not, I'm often left feeling very empty and disappointed.

I feel like that unless I'm learning something new from others (or a new way of seeing things), or sharing something new or special with them myself, spending time with people is a bit pointless. This in turn makes me feel like I'm being arrogant, because it's as if I'm judging most other people as shallow; but I really can't help these feelings. I enjoy intense conversations and I love intense characters, and it's something I've really missed recently. I know there is a place for more relaxed banter, but should it really be the norm, or worse still, should it replace talk about God outside of strict "Bible study" sessions?

Some amazing, passionate Christians (and non-Christians!) have been put in my path at various points, and I know two or three today, but I'd love to be "under" someone, if that makes any sense - to learn from someone for a period. Or, to be in a group where spiritual conversations flow as easily as "normal" conversations do (as if there should be any difference anyway!), where deep friendship is matched with deeper explorations of God, His word, and the the real difficulties we can all experience when trying to follow Him.

I've also noticed that in most conversations, people simply wait their turn, and don't listen to what others say. It's a simple point, but it only dawned on me in full force recently. I'm sure we're all guilty of it sometimes, but it's depressing how common it is. It's not that I feel like people don't listen to me - it's not as self-absorbed as that. It's more that it seems like nobody listens to anybody. There are wonderful exceptions to this, of course, and many wonderful people who listen and share in an edifying way, but much conversation seems to be a mindless game of filling in silence.

How amazing it must have been for the disciples! To walk with Jesus and have Him teach you...

Please pray for me about this. I'm just as guilty as anyone else - foul words often come out of my lips, along with foolish, time-wasting talk. I know there's worse problems people are going through, but I don't want to avoid going out just because I find interaction pointless, because isolation does strange things to the mind. :)

sounds fine to me friend...

appetites create for a good meal.:)

banterers with banterers,,,

Deep calls to deep..you are deep.:)

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I was in the military in Okinawa, I met a Japanese man we called Mr Hono. His name was longer and hard to pronounce and he allowed us to trim it. Anyway at lunch, Mr Hono would squat on the dock of the loading bays and just seem to stare out at the jungle. I sat with him once (just cant squat!) and after about 15 minutes asked him what we were doing. He said "listening to the ancestors". Japanese families make small shrines in the jungle to their ancestors and go visit and make lunch and chat with the dead. I wasnt a Christian yet and asked him why are we listening to the ancestors? What do they tell us?

he said " They tell us many things: what to watch out for, when to fear and when to be brave". I said "what are these ancestors telling us today Mr Hono?

He said " They tell me not to bring eggs to visit next time as they dislike eggs!"

Seems strange conversations are not just the domain of the living!
I enjoyed that.:)

Upvote 0

ralangley

Veteran
May 30, 2007
Washington State, USA
✟18,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I hear you. As a woman, I feel as if I'm expected to engage in endless and trivial small talk. My girlfriends like to talk about movies and other nonsense, and I want to talk about God. Conversations seem pointless otherwise. (Funny, before I was a Christian, all I wanted to talk about was philosophy and our search for meaning so I guess I haven't changed personality-wise). Given the choice between a good book or a lively party, I'd choose the good book.

Was it Jeremiah who didn't want his words to fall to the ground? I get that. I don't want my words to fall. It might be the same with you.

On the other hand, isolation does make you kooky. We need friends. If you can find a good small group to join, you might find it serves your needs for stimulation and growth. You're obviously a writer. You might find a great group of other Christian writers to talk with.

Upvote 0

Prizm

Oct 25, 2008
✟8,052.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, I find many christians like that. I know they're saved, but during general times of fellowship or getting together, it's almost 'uncool' for them to bring up spiritual topics.

And you leave sometimes feeling empty rather than edified. You don't have to talk about spiritual things all the time, but it's sad if the conversation is always worldly every time you speak to that person. I question their closeness to God.

You can be the one to turn it around though. Think up ways to bring God into the conversation. Usually I'll ask something like "Are you reading anything at the moment?", or "Read any good Christian books lately?". If they're not reading a christian book, it will at least provide an opportunity for me to speak about a christian book I'm reading (or read).

I know what you mean about people only waiting their turn to speak. They stop listening after they stop talking :) If I think someone is not listening, like if they keep looking around or something, I'll just stop mid-sentence and see what they do. If they aren't interested, then I'm not going to continue 'throwing pearls before swine'. Once I make eye contact with them again, or they say something like "oh sorry, keep going", then I'll finish what I was saying.
Now and again I'll stop and they don't even notice. They either go back to what they were doing, or they'll start saying something else. It's a two-way street though, I need to make sure that I'm being succinct in what I say, and not rambling. And clear in speech with eye contact, not mumbling with my head down like some teenagers. Otherwise, of course the other person is not listening.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello all,

I don't know if this applies but, how about trying to stop thinking about what you can get out of the discussion and start thinking about what you can add to the discussion?

Just a thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Audio Artist, you're young to have such a deep revelation of what's happening during conversations.
You have the wisdom and sensitivity to see things as they really are, and I believe you will be open to let that develop and to use it as a gift rather than decend into despair or bitterness.

You've spotted the drive behind most conversations correctly - for many, (in fact let's be honest, for all of us to some point) it's all about "me" and getting my story heard, myself affirmed and so on.

What you are showing is an ability to step outside of that, because you clearly see it, and while that is painful and difficult sometimes, it's also a great gift that God will use, is already using, through your presence with these people.

You are a listener. That's not to say you have no story to tell - as someone said, you are a writer. You tell a good story, you really engage us as you type your thoughts here. But perhaps "in person" you are inclined to take a back seat, and that can make you feel you don't contribute, or have no power to change the flow of conversation in a better direction. But it's not true, you have a deep and hidden power, and God is developing that, so take heart.

I just want to say, don't underestimate the power of true listening - it's mighty.
You see, hear and comprehend thoroughly the things that nobody else does. People will not often thank you, but your presence affirms them, makes them feel they matter, and they may not even be able to grasp that intellectually, but something inside them sighs with relief at being heard and even maybe being understood just a little.
That is, after all, what every human being desires most in relationships - to know we exist, we matter, we make a difference.

They may never tell you, but they leave your presence feeling better. yes, it drains you sometimes, but be assured that's for a good purpose - you have worked harder than you know in your quietness!

Your gift opens doors to souls, God is using it and will increase it. It's hard, because often you'll be frustrated at people's insensitivity, you'll feel overlooked, unheard and unappreciated. But your presence in a room is a huge blessing to people, and God will show you that in time.

Trust God to guide you when you're with people, relax and don't "try" to push Jesus into the conversation, but be alert - I know you already are - because He will come softly among the gathering at times, and you will find people asking questions, maybe not obvious ones, but your discernment will alllow you to pick up those tiny signals when someone is ready to engage more deeply, and your wisdom and gentle spirit will enable you to softly nudge that door and wait to see if they want to talk some more, this time about the more important things, life, the universe and everything!

Remember, you don't have to clobber people with the full gospel every time - your part on some occasions may be to plant a seed, or it may be to simply water one that's buried so deep you don't even know it was placed there years ago before you met that person - so sometimes you will not even know you did anything. But you, by listening attentively and meeting their eye or nodding or just saying, hmmm, will be a conduit for the Holy Spirit to touch deep places in hearts. You are going to meet people in heaven who thank you!

God gave you your personality, these tender gifts, so much more subtle than your musical talents, your intellect, and although it's a quiet, unappreciated thing, He appreciates you very much for the love you show to those you listen to with that rare attention.

These are the Spirit's gifts, and He is slowly unwrapping them in you.
Happy Christmas! :hug:

Reactions: AudioArtist
Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi AA,

You are not the only one mate, I hear this all the time, and it also comes from myself.

I feel like that unless I'm learning something new from others (or a new way of seeing things), or sharing something new or special with them myself, spending time with people is a bit pointless.

We feel this way a lot in churches, because many churches have lost the reality in feeding and tending His Sheep.

Yes, sounds pointless at times, but to be in touch with reality we have to remain patient, self-controlled, gentle, and faithful. It’s not easy, as I let my guard down many times when I am struggling. That’s normal, because I get irritated with fairy-floss, wishy-washy Christians who would rather talk about themselves and next-door neighbour than about our Lord Jesus Christ.

Show me a church who talks about our Lord Jesus Christ, and then I will show you a CHRIST-centred church.

This in turn makes me feel like I'm being arrogant, because it's as if I'm judging most other people as shallow; but I really can't help these feelings. I enjoy intense conversations and I love intense characters, and it's something I've really missed recently. I know there is a place for more relaxed banter, but should it really be the norm, or worse still, should it replace talk about God outside of strict "Bible study" sessions?
It’s the way of the new age gospel that is being preached these days. And most believe if they go to church on Sunday, sing a few hymns, etc., etc., then all is well.

Some amazing, passionate Christians (and non-Christians!) have been put in my path at various points, and I know two or three today, but I'd love to be "under" someone, if that makes any sense - to learn from someone for a period.

We all desire a mentor, which a very short. The mentors of today, are no different to us and are struggling with life’s problems and are mostly in leadership as a figurehead more so than maturity.

Or, to be in a group where spiritual conversations flow as easily as "normal" conversations do (as if there should be any difference anyway!), where deep friendship is matched with deeper explorations of God, His word, and the the real difficulties we can all experience when trying to follow Him.
I’ve found that by becomin an out-of-church Christian. I fellowship with a couple of blokes and we are chalk and cheese, but we have great discussions about Scriptures and our Lord Jesus Christ.

I've also noticed that in most conversations, people simply wait their turn, and don't listen to what others say.

Yep, it’s a bit liked the Billy Joel song: “What about me!”

It's a simple point, but it only dawned on me in full force recently. I'm sure we're all guilty of it sometimes, but it's depressing how common it is.
Yes, it’s terrible when we look in the mirror.

It's not that I feel like people don't listen to me - it's not as self-absorbed as that. It's more that it seems like nobody listens to anybody. There are wonderful exceptions to this, of course, and many wonderful people who listen and share in an edifying way, but much conversation seems to be a mindless game of filling in silence.
Yep, it’s like at time we need to go back to the drawing board, meet up with our first love again, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Yep, I’ve had those ocassions, but it has become a dry lately, and there appears to be a famine (Amos 8:11).

Please pray for me about this. I'm just as guilty as anyone else - foul words often come out of my lips, along with foolish, time-wasting talk.

Mate, we get this way, because there is still much rubbish in our “soul”, and it hurts our heart deeply. Anger and bitterness is always our biggest stronghold.

I know there's worse problems people are going through, but I don't want to avoid going out just because I find interaction pointless, because isolation does strange things to the mind.
Yes, isolation causes loneliness, and feeling abandoned.

You are in my thoughts and prayers AA, and I pray now that our Lord Jesus Christ will remove from deep down within your heart those anxieties and feelings of isolation. And that HE will put across your path many mature believers of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that Satan and his forces be bound to silence and interference in your life, cutting off all power from him and his forces by the power of our Almight God, and through His Blood in Jesus’ Name.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have often wondered if conversation and fellowship in general should not be a more "formal" thing. What I mean is the gatherings should be for a purpose other just yakking. Bible study, prayer meetings, testimony meetings, at least have some structure. In the old days people would get together for quiltings, barn raisings, harvesting, etc. Get togethers had an actual purpose.
I mean to say that socializing was recognized as what it is... gossiping. The would social is too close to "soulical" for me. I personally detest parties, luncheons, and even "events" that are not Christ centered.
I do not drink and I find I am rejected and ridiculed by Christians who do... as if their main purpose in fellowship is not Christ but drink... they can keep it and laugh all they want.
Overall I hate socializing. It is a waste of energy, and only leads to one sinning with their mouth.

Upvote 0

EternalSummer

Peacenik
Oct 18, 2007
✟8,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey AudioArtist,

I know what you mean because I deal with the same thing myself. I've never really cared for small talk and I really prefer discussing deeper and more serious things. I don't know if I'm old enough or mature enough in the faith to be anything like a "mentor" for you but I would definitely welcome some good conversation about God and Christ and faith anytime. I don't get enough of that myself! So hit me up if you're interested sometime.

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all,

I can totally relate...I don't have patience much for anything or anybody who is not serious about God, or at least interested in the things of God, and what he is doing and saying in this time...my circle is small, and it is good that way, that is exactly how God wants it..those I need to reach out to, he will send m way or send me to them...So, you are on track..don't worry..:) It is actaully a good sign that God is preparing you for something else..he usually gives a 'burden' or eye for something that he actually wants to use us to be a part of helping or fixing at some point..so, you are in training..

Be encouraged, you are growing in the Lord and can't stand the average anymore...you want the deeper things of God and don't have patience for anything or anybody that is not interested in it as well....you are growing in many ways and God uses different people and circumstances to even get you 'weary' so that you began to seek more of him..that is what he wants...Most are stuck in the old, and are not moving with the cloud and fire of God and don't understand why you may want to move with it..( The Spirit )..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Another thing Audio,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not being interested in 'small talk"..There are times when God will want you to change the topic yourself, but all is done by the leading of the Spirit. I have found that at times God does not want me to say a word at times, then he will lead me to speak. So, all things are done by his leading whether it makes sense to someone else or not, and it just may not.

You are growing in God..I am not surprised, God is using and going to use many of this young generation to usher in the next great move oF God on earth...thiose who are as children, and who truly has sought and seeks him with their whole hearts...You are on the right track, trust me..those who he has hand-picked and 'called out'..the last......

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

You sound like a classic introvert, AA. ^_^ I am the same way and would rather be by myself than anyone I know. (My guess is, this is true of almost everyone who chats online in this forum. We can come here and do not have to bother with all that small talk. )

I think my reclusive temperament comes from my Dad’s side of the family, who are, with all due respect, (how shall I put this) a bunch of navel-gazing weirdoes whom I love. I just don’t want to be like them, but I am genetically predisposed in that direction. Unfortunately.

But, thankfully, the job the Lord has chosen for me to dedicate my life to—ministry—includes others. I sometimes tell people that pastoring is the best job in the world … if it wasn’t for all those people. I would prefer to study in my office, research a topic, read, or chat with you online in an anonymous forum but, unfortunately, I have to visit hospital rooms, comfort people in loss, pray for folks on hard times, find ways to help needy people, and just have coffee with a church member.

But I have learned something. Some of my richest memories (if not all of them) and most dramatic turning points in life have come from my associations with people: a conversation, a prayer, an insight into life, a compliment, a warning, sage advice, wise counsel, a word or a phrase.

The Bible says that no man lives to himself and no man dies to himself. We are all interconnected. That is God’s plan and (IMO) He directs our steps into relationships in order to guide us along the path of life. Even the most casual encounter may be loaded with truth that God wants me to know. I just need to stop hiding from it.

~Justin Thyme
Contentment is not found in having what you want, but in wanting what you have

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You sound like a classic introvert, AA. ^_^ I am the same way and would rather be by myself than anyone I know. (My guess is, this is true of almost everyone who chats online in this forum. We can come here and do not have to bother with all that small talk. )

I think my reclusive temperament comes from my Dad’s side of the family, who are, with all due respect, (how shall I put this) a bunch of navel-gazing weirdoes whom I love. I just don’t want to be like them, but I am genetically predisposed in that direction. Unfortunately.

But, thankfully, the job the Lord has chosen for me to dedicate my life to—ministry—includes others. I sometimes tell people that pastoring is the best job in the world … if it wasn’t for all those people. I would prefer to study in my office, research a topic, read, or chat with you online in an anonymous forum but, unfortunately, I have to visit hospital rooms, comfort people in loss, pray for folks on hard times, find ways to help needy people, and just have coffee with a church member.

But I have learned something. Some of my richest memories (if not all of them) and most dramatic turning points in life have come from my associations with people: a conversation, a prayer, an insight into life, a compliment, a warning, sage advice, wise counsel, a word or a phrase.

The Bible says that no man lives to himself and no man dies to himself. We are all interconnected. That is God’s plan and (IMO) He directs our steps into relationships in order to guide us along the path of life. Even the most casual encounter may be loaded with truth that God wants me to know. I just need to stop hiding from it.

~Justin Thyme

Contentment is not found in having what you want, but in wanting what you have

I definitely agree. I know I am an introvert and places like this forum are such a welcome place for me because it offers the oppotunity for expression and interaction on comfortable terms. ^_^

I hate going to parties or social gatherings because I feel like I am pressured to maintain a certain level of interaction socially while I am present. I think one of the reasons I continued smoking for years after high school was just to have an excuse to leave the dinner party or meeting to go outside and escape all of the people. :doh:

I am trying now to learn to relax and let go of that pressure. It is difficult for me because it is so engrained into my personality. I get awkward many times when I small talk with someone too long....you know like when you are having a regular conversation and it abruptly stops because neither party has anything remotely interesting to say.

I would say I am even worse than the OP...If I am engaged in a conversation (usually not my idea) and things don't get interesting real quick, my mind wanders even while they are talking to me. I begin searching for ways to make the conversations interesting, usually at the expense of ignoring whatever the other person is saying...provided of course that I do not find it interesting.

I suppose I could even be talking with the president of the United states and if it was small talk for very long my mind would wander to things like...is there really a missle button in your chair? :)

I have read enough in psychology to know this is not something that is irregular. Like Jim said...it is just part of being introverted.

My wife is extroverted and I am introverted. She has helped (more like forced) me to be more sociable and I have helped challenge (she might say annoyed) her to think about things more deeply. :D

I think the OP is thinking right. I would suggest not to totally embrace introvertedness (it's addictive and tempting, but unhealthy)...try to keep a little of the extrovertedness in your life. It does not have to be big steps...in fact it would probably be much more beneficial and enjoyable if the OP took very small steps in the direction of extrovertedness...again mainly for balance puirposes.

O.K. that is enough of that...I'm off to callobrate my telescope. (not really);)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I too love to talk about God and what He's done for me. I personally don't feel that I have to try and work up a gospel presentation (there are some who do) every conversation I have with a non believer. However, He, being the whole of my life seems to come up often in whatever conversation I am having. It does not generally lead to a great theological discussion yet what little I have said is just enough for Him to use to talk to the other person. I've also found that a few times within the crew members I am driving around one of them will be a believer and several times between the two of us we have carried on a conversation that has been a witness to the others. They may not agree but they heard. :)

I must also say that there have been times when the crew were conversing among themselves and the conversation was not edifying at all. I usually just become silent and look for any opportunity I may have to change the conversation.

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Thank you all for the wonderful responses so far; every single one of them is loaded with wisdom, encouragement, and challenges. It's also nice to know I am not at all alone in this area! Everyone time I read one of your posts I wanted to respond with thanks, because there's so much in each of them.... :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.