New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have often wondered if conversation and fellowship in general should not be a more "formal" thing. What I mean is the gatherings should be for a purpose other just yakking. Bible study, prayer meetings, testimony meetings, at least have some structure. In the old days people would get together for quiltings, barn raisings, harvesting, etc. Get togethers had an actual purpose.
I mean to say that socializing was recognized as what it is... gossiping. The would social is too close to "soulical" for me. I personally detest parties, luncheons, and even "events" that are not Christ centered.
I do not drink and I find I am rejected and ridiculed by Christians who do... as if their main purpose in fellowship is not Christ but drink... they can keep it and laugh all they want.
Overall I hate socializing. It is a waste of energy, and only leads to one sinning with their mouth.

Very good description of "small talk/socializing). :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't know if this applies but, how about trying to stop thinking about what you can get out of the discussion and start thinking about what you can add to the discussion?

Just a thought.

Hi nephilimiyr,

This is a good point. However, I do think I have tried to add something of the Spirit in these discussions (although there are times I've failed and have unfortunately taken part in rubbish empty talk), as have other Christians I know.

Some of the OP was inspired by my frustration regarding meetings of a Christian group I've been part of it for a while. One member of the group, who is very hungry for God, arranged a meal on Christmas Eve to celebrate Jesus' birth, to pray, and to just be together. However - and maybe this is an English thing - her gentle attempts to encourage people to share prayer requests and to talk about their faith (because some of them are struggling with their faiths) were greeted with no enthusiasm whatsoever, and most of them seemed more keen on avoiding the subject of God altogether. She really put her neck out and shared what God had done for her (which is a lot), and still, there was no response.... And soon small talk was resumed.

I am not forceful or rude in how I try and steer things towards God, and she certainly isn't, but we have tried. But there's only so much one can do without making people uncomfortable and/or annoyed.

Plus, I'd love to learn more about God, and reading books and surfing forums all the time isn't the best way to do that. Church is great, but it's only a 1 hour sermon once a week.... I guess we're just looking for some people who don't keep their thoughts about- or struggles with - God quite so private.

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The one thing I feel I am disappointed in , is my desire to hear what God is doing and the fact that most Christians(not all) I know don't seem to want to share or don't experience anything.
I am always willing to share what He is doing in my life, but not many others seem to want to.

I found this hard as a new Christian as I felt it hard as I thought others would think I was weird .
After all as far as I knew and still do with some, don't know if they hear from or experience God.

Luckily there are a few at our church like me.

Maybe some feel it is bragging or something, I just want to share my experiences.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi nephilimiyr,

This is a good point. However, I do think I have tried to add something of the Spirit in these discussions (although there are times I've failed and have unfortunately taken part in rubbish empty talk), as have other Christians I know.

Some of the OP was inspired by my frustration regarding meetings of a Christian group I've been part of it for a while. One member of the group, who is very hungry for God, arranged a meal on Christmas Eve to celebrate Jesus' birth, to pray, and to just be together. However - and maybe this is an English thing - her gentle attempts to encourage people to share prayer requests and to talk about their faith (because some of them are struggling with their faiths) were greeted with no enthusiasm whatsoever, and most of them seemed more keen on avoiding the subject of God altogether. She really put her neck out and shared what God had done for her (which is a lot), and still, there was no response.... And soon small talk was resumed.

I am not forceful or rude in how I try and steer things towards God, and she certainly isn't, but we have tried. But there's only so much one can do without making people uncomfortable and/or annoyed.

Plus, I'd love to learn more about God, and reading books and surfing forums all the time isn't the best way to do that. Church is great, but it's only a 1 hour sermon once a week.... I guess we're just looking for some people who don't keep their thoughts about- or struggles with - God quite so private.
Hmmm, well, if those people are struggling with their faith I would not expect them to meet the topic of anything spiritual or about God with enthusiasm. I think maybe you perhaps have too high of expectations and you are getting down because they're not being met?

I know your frustrations. I despirately want others, my loved ones, to love God as much as I do but there often is this apathy they have that really bothers me sometimes. All I can do though is pray.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.