Constitutional rights and equal protection (gay marriage related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is rather that I would like for the married demographic be nurtured so that there are far less numerous tragic situations effecting children.

Because tragic situations effecting children have been so successfully limited by limits on who can legally marry? Tragic situations effecting children such as domestic violence, drug and alcohol addictions, mental illness, Crisis medical situations, criminal problems? hmm.... yup.. making sure we don't legalize gay marriage has insured children are never living with those tragedies.

Denying one group of people access to the same legal rights as others doesn't limit tragedy, it only creates families that some people are allowed to view as "less than" other families.

Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can someone, with some actual logic and reasonable suppositions, explain how a loving couple, who just happen to be the same-sex, marrying will affect the marriage of others, or in someway create some tragic effects for children (presumably of unrelated couples).

I can actually see reasons why marriage between, say, celebrities should be restricted - their over reported marital-madness might actually have some tangible effect on the marriages of others (although if something like that can damage a marriage, then I suspect it wasn't that strong to start with). But what are wedded gays going to do.

What is the actual effect of it going to be? And suggestions such as 'sullying the reputation of marriage' are not answers. It means nothing.

Are straight couples going to stop getting married because it's meaningless now that the gheys can do it too?

Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry, but no. First, I asked for a link as to marriage laws, not what the typical marriage was like. For example, while your link claims "A bride would be young, about 14 or 15 years old", I'm sure they don't mean to say that only 14 or 15 year old women could marry. In the same way, nowhere does it say that it could only be a man and woman, this is merely saying what was typical. Much like if gays were allowed to marry, since gays are fewer than 10% of the population, a man and woman would still be the typical marriage.

I could care less about the population, its the ideal that puts a strain on the dignity and honor of marriage. Just as marriage is dragged through the mud in media, divorce, feminism, las vegas "weddings" and 20 day celeb weddings the dignity of marriage and view future people are gonna have on it is gonna be awful. Gay 'marriage' i just another drag in the mud and you just don't realize the ripples you are creating in the water for many future familys.

Instead, we do have evidence, as BigBadWlf pointed out, that gay marriage did occur in ancient Egypt.

No, he provided a script talking about a certain egyptian being good friends "connected" with another egyptian. Coulda been a friend, soldier, advisor. To claim that they were gay lovers because of that is ludacris and disrespectful.

As for your portion bolded in red, the differences of the woman being in the home are primarily technology related. As late as 60 years ago, women spent most of their day just cooking. Of course, included in cooking was the time it took to build and maintain the fires. Flour often came as wheat, and had to be ground, they had to churn their own butter, etc. It was with the invention of packaged and processed foods about a century ago that started changing things, as well as gas and electric stoves and ovens. Simply put, a woman is no longer bound to the kitchen as she was in earlier centuries.

No, it was related by nature and the differences between man and woman. Man immediatly recognized women were more designed for child bearing and tending to housework.

And even if you are correct, does this mean that our age of consent laws are wrong? After all, historically females did marry in their early teen years so apparently we have changed marriage from what it was historicall.

not really, many teens get married. I know 3 couples who were married during their teens and have been together for over 20 years now. God's plan for woman is to be child bearer and family caregiver.

And as I point out above, you have been proven wrong on this. Not to mention as others have pointed out, the practice of polygamy and concubines was allowed in ancient Israel which is another change in marriage.

this is true, however King Solomon eventually was against his plural marriages and realized the problem with them. The prophets were not sinless you know and many fell to temptations of lust and murder.

You asked for evidence, not for quotes from the Veda. Though I do find it ironic since Tritiya-Prakriti is the Sanskrit word found in the Veda that translates to "third sex". If you studied, there are plenty of refrences to be found in the Veda.

One word in the veda does not verify same sex marriage. Your grasping at straws now. modern new age books don't hold value

Again, historically there are plenty of examples of homosexual marriage. But even if that weren't true, let me paraphrase what you just said:
Does a small community, really have the right all of a sudden change probably 6-8 thousand years of what slavery always has been and was? You don't find this all a great disrespect to the dignity and honor of slavery?

Stop trying to use slavery as a tool for your agenda, please. Its disrespectful to people who were actual slaves. you'd be surprised how much of the black community would find your comment extremely insulting. The gay community is suffering nothing like the slaves did, and most of what they do suffer is administered by themselves in their own communitys because of their extremely irresponsible sexual practices. Race is a physical pigment you are born with, minority status is not determined by sexual preference. Homosexuality is a choice, and always will be, any homosexual can marry a woman if they want to.

You don't want rights. You want SPECIAL rights. You want marriage to conform to your own personal lifestyle at the expense of others.

As was pointed out to you by BigBadWlf, you are simply appealing to history. And simply because something was done historically does not show that it was right.

Are you a proponent of evolution? Because by evolutions standand same sex marriage would be a danger to the survival of the human species considering they cannot procreate. So either way it fails on all accounts. Historical, spiritual, and scientific.

That is debated among Christians but it really has no bearing on US law. Much like Divorce is wrong per the Bible but no Christians are trying to outlaw it; and, per your own claims, divorce is even a greater threat to marriage.

divorce should be outlawed except in extreme conditions like danger of ones life, assault, rape, consistent adultry, forced marriage, etc. And while we cannot outlaw it because our country loves broken familys and out of wedlock children we can at least try to salvage the TINY dignity marriage has kept for itself.

But that still says nothing about the church regulating or performing marriage. That merely says that members of the church should follow the scriptures. If I point out an early church father pointing out that people should hear and obey the word of the Lord in regard to caring for the poor that means that only the church is allowed to care for the poor? Do you see where your logic fails here?

if he is talking about marriage being performed in or out of the church, then theres a good chance its being performed in the church. And hes saying that people even outside the church should obey the laws in marriage, for the sake of the people.

You don't like religioustolerance just because they disagree with you? The statistics they quote are all referenced, and from what I've seen they quote the studies accurately. If you can find where they haven't referenced or have misrepresented these statistics, I'd be interested in seeing it.

because I can find many stastistics that say otherwise. Why would i trust an old quote from religioustolerance? The real reason why divorce rate is so high is many professing christians in america and parts of northern europe are still entrenched in modernism and have confused roles between wife and husband.

And India has even lower divorce rates, which is not Christian. The fact is that most Christian countries have much higher divorce rates.

Really the only 2 are the US and sweden. Many other christian countrys however have very low divorce rate. UK isn't christian considering the huge conversion to atheism there now. And again the reason why is because of our lax views on divorce and the roles of man and woman in marriage.

But to get back to the point, you have no evidence that gay marriage will cause a weakening of marriage, just vague claims and fearmongering.

well, we'll see. When the divorce rates continue to rise and more children are born out of wedlock without parents, you'll know where the finger will be pointing. Directly at you.

So you claim, though you have provided no evidence to prove that. In fact, the evidence so far shows the opposite

yes i have provided evidence. Above on the egyptians. You'd be hard pressed to find same sex marriage in early history. And even if you did it would be so extremely rare that it would have no bearing on humanity as a whole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OphidiaPhile

Sep 26, 2008
Northern California
✟3,947.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I could care less about the population, its the ideal that puts a strain on the dignity and honor of marriage. Just as marriage is dragged through the mud in media, divorce, feminism, las vegas "weddings" and 20 day celeb weddings the dignity of marriage and view future people are gonna have on it is gonna be awful. Gay 'marriage' i just another drag in the mud and you just don't realize the ripples you are creating in the water for many future familys.

No, he provided a script talking about a certain egyptian being good friends "connected" with another egyptian. Coulda been a friend, soldier, advisor. To claim that they were gay lovers because of that is ludacris and disrespectful.

No, it was related by nature and the differences between man and woman. Man immediatly recognized women were more designed for child bearing and tending to housework.

not really, many teens get married. I know 3 couples who were married during their teens and have been together for over 20 years now. God's plan for woman is to be child bearer and family caregiver.

this is true, however King Solomon eventually was against his plural marriages and realized the problem with them. The prophets were not sinless you know and many fell to temptations of lust and murder.

One word in the veda does not verify same sex marriage. Your grasping at straws now. modern new age books don't hold value

Stop trying to use slavery as a tool for your agenda, please. Its disrespectful to people who were actual slaves. you'd be surprised how much of the black community would find your comment extremely insulting. The gay community is suffering nothing like the slaves did, and most of what they do suffer is administered by themselves in their own communitys because of their extremely irresponsible sexual practices. Race is a physical pigment you are born with, minority status is not determined by sexual preference. Homosexuality is a choice, and always will be, any homosexual can marry a woman if they want to.

You don't want rights. You want SPECIAL rights. You want marriage to conform to your own personal lifestyle at the expense of others.

Are you a proponent of evolution? Because by evolutions standand same sex marriage would be a danger to the survival of the human species considering they cannot procreate. So either way it fails on all accounts. Historical, spiritual, and scientific.

divorce should be outlawed except in extreme conditions like danger of ones life, assault, rape, consistent adultry, forced marriage, etc. And while we cannot outlaw it because our country loves broken familys and out of wedlock children we can at least try to salvage the TINY dignity marriage has kept for itself.

if he is talking about marriage being performed in or out of the church, then theres a good chance its being performed in the church. And hes saying that people even outside the church should obey the laws in marriage, for the sake of the people.

because I can find many stastistics that say otherwise. Why would i trust an old quote from religioustolerance? The real reason why divorce rate is so high is many professing christians in america and parts of northern europe are still entrenched in modernism and have confused roles between wife and husband.

Really the only 2 are the US and sweden. Many other christian countrys however have very low divorce rate. UK isn't christian considering the huge conversion to atheism there now. And again the reason why is because of our lax views on divorce and the roles of man and woman in marriage.

well, we'll see. When the divorce rates continue to rise and more children are born out of wedlock without parents, you'll know where the finger will be pointing. Directly at you.

yes i have provided evidence. Above on the egyptians. You'd be hard pressed to find same sex marriage in early history. And even if you did it would be so extremely rare that it would have no bearing on humanity as a whole.
I am absolutely disgusted that people that call themselves Christians are some of the most ignorant loathsome creatures I have ever come into contact with.
If this is the type of people that populate your heaven then hell must be a much preferable place. I came onto this site to do research for a paper I have been working on and I wanted to see how true "Christians" interacted with others and my opinion of most of them has really gone down drastically, yes there are some on here that are obviously very nice caring people but there are others that are a sheer disgrace to humanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sycophant
Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ignoring all the other stuff that spilled forth, explain "at the expense of others". How is it at my expense if a gay couple get's married (unless of course my son is gay and I have to pay for the wedding).

I am married. What do I suffer if a gay couple gets married. In tangible real-world things. How does it affect me? Am I going to lose some rights? Is my wife going to leave me now that she can marry some arbitrary woman? What? What will happen?

If a majority of the species were homosexual, then you might have a point. But it's not. And homosexuality is observed in other species also.

Yup. It's better for kids to see two parents in a loveless marriage filled with tension and bitterness than for those children to see their parents happy. And consistent adultery? How many times can I cheat on my wife before she's allowed to dump my sorry ass, in your world?

Then show us those statistics, or better provide them and a demonstrable reason that what is available from religioustolerance is wrong, and how.

No people are no longer living under the tyrannical and constant rule of their church. Instead they are living in a free world where rules and laws are established on a basis of fairness and necessity, not a range of customs and traditions from more than 2000 years ago. The majority of churches now accept divorce for exactly the same reason that countries and states do. Marriage (I suspect some would say sadly) has moved beyond the idea that the wife is the husband's property.

What are you talking about? How is the legal union of couples who aren't even (as you're fond of pointing out) capable of bearing children going it increase children out of wedlock? And given that the gay population (according to you) are nothing more than sex-loving deviants with no interest in monogamy, how is they're getting married going to increase divorce rates.

Just lay down a rational path from gay marraige to increases in divorce and 'out of wedlock' children. You know... If A, then B and then C and then D, finally leading to E. What's the process?

1. Jim and Steve get married.
2. ???
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. Divorce increases.

Upvote 0

OphidiaPhile

Sep 26, 2008
Northern California
✟3,947.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Talk about epic fail, there is actually a well know theory yes theory as in the scientific definition not the definition used by people that have no idea what it means.

The theory states that as populations rise to the point of environmental saturation ie; the point at which the environment can no longer sustain a given species the incidence of homosexuality increases to slow down population growth so homosexuality is actually of great benefit to nature by helping to either stabilize or reduce the population to sustainable numbers.

And again there are gay members of well over 1000 species that we know of.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
...And as for what I think of Wolf's objections black people aren't black because of an activity they participate in or simply as a result of claiming that they are black.

People aren't gay because of an activity they participate in either. I'm gay, and I have been my entire life. But, before I had the courage to be honest with myself and those around me, I had girlfriends. Many of them. And, I usually had sex with them. That did not, however, make me straight. Similarly, if a straight man experiments with a same sex partner, that does not make him gay.

What does it mean to be gay then?

What does it mean to be straight? When you can answer that, you'll know the answer to your own question. I can tell you this, though - it is not a sex act which determines one's sexual orientation.

I've read plenty of literature, and it seems to be a self-identification based on a urge to participate in an activity, or even a desire to want to desire that activity. That's what being gay is.

That's not what being gay is. Your literature is wrong.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

So gay marriages are similar to "divorce, las vegas "weddings", and 20 day celeb weddings? Care to provide even a shred of evidence for this. You keep making a claim that gay marriage somehow damages marriage but you have provided no evidence other than that it is your belief.

No, he provided an example of a tomb of two men with the pictogram showing the men kissing, and that it is the same type of pictogram you would find on the tombs of a married male and female couple. Not to mention that historians find that same-sex marriages did occur in ancient Egypt. Though even if you were right, there are plenty of other societies that had same sex marriage anciently. Marriage has not had a consistent definition throughout history.

Sorry, but no. You do realize that there have been societies where women held the roles that we view as the male roles? And in many societies women were responsible for the farming the community did. There has been no single role for women throughout history.

So you have no problem with 14 year old girls marrying 18 year old (and older) men? Because that is what historical marriage typically looked like.

Of course you are leaving out David, Jacob, Moses, and several other prophets/patriarchs of the Old Testament. And if you read your Bible, what Solomon did wrong was marrying foreign wives when he had been commanded not to and who led his heart away from God, that was his major problem. Not to mention that you failed to address concubines, a practice perfectly allowable per the Old Testament.

That is about like saying that Abraham is just one word in the Bible and doesn't mean anything. The "third sex" is mentioned multiple times in several of the writings that make up the Veda. And the book is based on historical research, not some "new age" ideas.

Stop trying to use slavery as a tool for your agenda, please. Its disrespectful to people who were actual slaves. you'd be surprised how much of the black community would find your comment extremely insulting.

Here are some quotes by Black leaders:

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people." -- Coretta Scott King"

I see this as a civil rights issue. That means I support gay civil marriage." -- Julian Bond, Chairman, NAACP

"I believe in equal human rights, before the law, for all human beings, and race, gender, disability, class or sexual orientation should not be a factor under the law. Even though we live under the law in a secular democratic society, religious groups must still be able to maintain their spiritual and moral option to either give or withhold a religious or sacred blessing to such unions.
However, the government should not have that option. It mustaffirm the human and legal rights of everyone." -- Rev. Al Sharpton

"The president vowed to 'do what is legally necessary to defend the sanctity of marriage.' He did not explain precisely how gays and lesbians are attacking the sanctity of marriage by wishing to be bound by it.
"In fact, same-sex marriages are not likely to have any impact on the sanctity of the president's marriage or my marriage or any other heterosexual's marriage. My wife and I would still be married and so would the president and the first lady--for better or worse, in sickness and in health, 'til death do us part, etc., etc." -- Clarence Page, Columnist, Chicago Tribune

"When you talk about the law discriminating, the law granting a privilege here, and a right here and denying it there, that's a civil rights issue. And I can't take that away from anybody." -- Rev. Joseph Lowery, Civil Rights Leader

"I see no problem with gay couples marrying. It's a decision between two people – the government has no business interfering. I remember when it was against the law for blacks and whites to be married – and that wasn't very long ago. The same people who are fighting gay marriage fought black and white marriage and fought school integration." -- Joycelyn Elders, former Surgeon General of the US

The gay community is suffering nothing like the slaves did, and most of what they do suffer is administered by themselves in their own communitys because of their extremely irresponsible sexual practices.

So if you don't suffer as badly as some other group, you don't deserve rights? And the part about bringing it on themselves is not true. You do realize that gays have more hate crimes committed against them per capita than any other group? You also realize that gays were thrown into Concentration camps by Hitler along with the Jews? While gays were not used as slaves in the US, there is a history of violence and discrimination against them in the US and in western (Christian) society.

Race is a physical pigment you are born with, minority status is not determined by sexual preference. Homosexuality is a choice, and always will be, any homosexual can marry a woman if they want to.

Religious preference is a choice, so does that mean that Christian's should not have their rights protected? They're not even a minority.

But I'd love to see you prove that homosexuality is a choice. Even the ex-gay groups don't believe that, otherwise there would be no need for ex-gay groups. And the results of the ex-gay groups, even using their own claims, does not support being gay is a choice. What they call a success is a person who still has homosexual desires but that does not have homosexual sex -- if homosexuality were truly a choice, then successes would only be measured when people lost homosexual desire.

In fact, however, there is quite a bit of evidence that shows homosexuality is biologically determined.

No, you are the one that wants special rights. You want the government to discriminate against other people based on your beliefs. I've already shown that marriage equality is not a special right.

And as OphidiaPhile pointed out, you are wrong. There are many traits that we consider "negative" that have survived: two that come quickly to mind are hemophilia and sickle cell anemia. And there have been theories that homosexuality has an evolutionary purpose to aid in population control -- and some of the evidence, such as younger males in a family being more likely to be homosexual, appear to support that theory.

Not to mention that evidence has been presented that same-sex marriages existed historically, despite the fact you seem to want to wish that information away.

So perhaps you should tell yourself that bans on gay marriage are doomed because our country loves gay marriages and it is pointless to fight against. Honestly, it seems like you are making excuses for not going after the single largest problem of marriage. Instead you create a scapegoat and pretend it has something to do with the destruction of marriage.

Except that it has been pointed out to you by multiple people that marriages were not performed in the church until no earlier than 500 years ago. Again, you are grasping at straws and trying to build straw men with those straws. History does not support what you are trying to claim -- what you have been taught is "traditional marriage" is revisionist history.

because I can find many stastistics that say otherwise.

So please produce these statistics.

Why would i trust an old quote from religioustolerance?

Again, because they didn't create the statistics but are just reporting them -- complete with referencing where the got the statistics from.

The real reason why divorce rate is so high is many professing christians in america and parts of northern europe are still entrenched in modernism and have confused roles between wife and husband.

Again, proof?

Really the only 2 are the US and sweden.

False. You really need to check out divorce statistics.

Many other christian countrys however have very low divorce rate. UK isn't christian considering the huge conversion to atheism there now. And again the reason why is because of our lax views on divorce and the roles of man and woman in marriage.

And yet Germany, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, etc. seem to have rates similar (though they are a bit lower) to the US and the UK. I will note that Catholic countries do have somewhat lower rates, though that likely has more to do with the Catholic churches position on divorce. Protestant countries divorce rates tend to be in the same general range as the US.

I won't hold my breath. In fact, the countries that have allowed gay marriage so far seem to have slightly better divorce rates than the countries that surround them.

Sorry, you have provided no evidence. You just said you don't believe what historians are reporting -- burying your head in the sand is not evidence. And making vague statements about how gay marriage will "strain on the dignity and honor of marriage" is not evidence either, nor have you given provided any evidence of how gay marriage actually threatens marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
To Lot's neighbors or Noah's?

Or both?

History not learned from.

Not in real history. There is no proof those things ever happened. They are just storied designed to teach a lesson (whatever lesson besides fear of a tyrannical god that could be learned from a global flood is beyond me, but whatever).

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Problems of unjust discrimination do not need to play a role in the marital system.

Why not?
Because you want to pretend that discrimination somehow is not discrimination?

It is a mere assertion, based on the current state of decay of marriage, rather than a reasonable, natural, and healthy excercise of marriage.
Racists said the same thing about interracial marriage. Why is what you present any better?

Ideally, it should be a system which channels the natural heterosexual energy of humanity into situation that are most appropriate for raising children. The ideal system, then, is much different than the all inclusive situation that it would become if gay couples were added,
So now you are claiming that some how gays and lesbians abuse children? Lying and claiming that a minority harms children is an act of hate no matter how you look at it.

and it would also make reform of the contract requirements of the demographic more difficult.
And is bookkeeping inconvenience a reason for discrimination?

It is not that I hate gay people. It is rather that I would like for the married demographic be nurtured so that there are far less numerous tragic situations effecting children.
So you are now trying to claim that discrimination is good and moral and just because somehow gays and lesbian harm and abuse children?
Lying and claiming that somehow an entire minority hurt children is an act of hate no matter how you look at it

I have yet to be able to have a conversation with you, in which I can get you to understand my perspective, in any way that you don't see as... sexualityist.
I am sorry I find it difficult to understand the justification of hatred and discrimination

Thus, I need to describe the purpose of marriage from a natural perspective and try to get support for that situation, which will benefit all of society... rather than have it be pulled down to a mere self-centered institution.
Advocating discrimination against a minority just because of petty personal prejudice is the ultimate example of being selfish

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Again their burial chamber explicitly states that these men were in fact married. Your dislike of the truth doesn’t change this fact.
Your denying that a married couple was in fact married just because you want to justify your petty personal prejudice is what is disrespectful

Can you actually reference chapter and verse for this?

Do you even know what the Vedas are?

Stop trying to use slavery as a tool for your agenda, please. Its disrespectful to people who were actual slaves. you'd be surprised how much of the black community would find your comment extremely insulting.
“Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood. We have a lot more work to do in our common struggle against bigotry and discrimination. I say ‘common struggle’ because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender or ethnic discrimination.” Coretta Scott King

“‘Civil rights’ are positive legal prerogatives — the right to equal treatment before the law. These are rights shared by all — there is no one in the United States who does not — or should not — share in these rights. Gay and lesbian rights are not ‘special rights’ in any way. It isn’t ‘special’ to be free from discrimination — it is an ordinary, universal entitlement of citizenship.” Julian Bond – Chair of the NAACP

The gay community is suffering nothing like the slaves did, and most of what they do suffer is administered by themselves in their own communitys because of their extremely irresponsible sexual practices.
this same tactic is and has been used by racists for generations. A racist will compare a person of color to a criminal, substance abuser or as a sexual deviant in order to try to justify their own petty personal prejudices and hatreds.

Race is a physical pigment you are born with, minority status is not determined by sexual preference. Homosexuality is a choice, and always will be,
I have lost track of how many times I have seen people try to justify their personal hatred of a minority by lying and claiming that sexual orientation is a choice.

Every time it is presented I ask for real proof of the claim. Evidence is never ever provided.

any homosexual can marry a woman if they want to.

And interracial couples couple choose to marry people of the “correct” skin color. Therefore discrimination and hatred against interracial couples is perfectly justified.

Blacks could accept their biblically ordained collective roles as social inferiors to whites and not claim to be equal to whites. This makes racism perfectly acceptable.

Jews could chose to convert to Christianity…therefore anti-Semitism is good and moral and just

You don't want rights. You want SPECIAL rights.
How exactly are equal rights “special rights”?

You want marriage to conform to your own personal lifestyle at the expense of others.
You want society to conform to your own personal prejudices and hatreds at the expense of others.

You ignored the point being made. You tried to use a logical fallacy, in this case an appeal to history or an appeal to tradition to justify your own prejudices and justify hatred and discrimination against a minority. It was correctly pointed out that just because things like segregation and lynchings were traditional and for most of the history of this country not even illegal they must be good and moral activates to engage in. after all if they were legal and socially acceptable a couple generations ago…they must still be acceptable activities today

Otherwise you manage to fail on two points here:
First: infertile heterosexuals obviously cannot procreate. By your reasoning it must be OK to hate infertile heterosexuals and to discriminate against them…or are you going tot try to claim this is somehow different and it applies only to minorities?

Second: a significant number of gays and lesbians do have or adopt children. Current statistics are that somewhere between one out of four and one out of three same gendered couples are raising children

because I can find many stastistics that say otherwise.
Yet for some reason you don’t present any…hmmm…I wonder why

Why would i trust an old quote from religioustolerance?
Why should anyone distrust them? especially since they happily reference their site and even present links for people to go read the studies they talk about. All you seem to do is say you don’t like the facts presented therefore they should be ignored

The real reason why divorce rate is so high is many professing christians in america and parts of northern europe are still entrenched in modernism and have confused roles between wife and husband.
And is anyone surprised that Creed didn’t back this claim up?

Again is anyone surprised that Creed didn’t back his claims up?

Oh nose! Lesbians are magically making parents disappear into thin air! :swoon:

yes i have provided evidence. Above on the egyptians.
No you didn’t. you were just disrespectful to the memory of people

You'd be hard pressed to find same sex marriage in early history. And even if you did it would be so extremely rare that it would have no bearing on humanity as a whole.
False. There are plenty of examples. But after the way you attacked and showed nothing but disrespect for those historic couples are you really going to pretend to actually want to hear about them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ryal Kane

Senior Veteran
Apr 21, 2004
Hamilton
✟13,720.00
Faith
Atheist
Pretty much all your points got shredded withing a page, so I'll stick to two.

No. They're not special rights. They're equal rights. You will be legally able to marry a same sex partner just as well as homosexuals will. You won't want to of course, which, incidentally, is exactly the way gay people feel about marrying someone of the opposite gender.

Are you a proponent of evolution? Because by evolutions standand (sic) same sex marriage would be a danger to the survival of the human species considering they cannot procreate. So either way it fails on all accounts. Historical, spiritual, and scientific.

Oh dear. Adding your ignorance of science doesn't help your case. How on earth is gay marriage a threat to the species? Are gay couples magically able to have children but lose this ability when thy marry? Banning gay marriage doesn't somehow mean there are no more gay couples. It just means they aren't allowed to get legally married :doh:

The only way this makes sense is if 'teh gay' is somehow contagious, which sadly, I would not be surprised if you really believed.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

No. They're not special rights. They're equal rights. You will be legally able to marry a same sex partner just as well as homosexuals will. You won't want to of course, which, incidentally, is exactly the way gay people feel about marrying someone of the opposite gender.
Agreed.

The “special right” is the right to force ones personal prejudices onto society and make others discriminate against minorities based on your own personal hatred of that minority

Upvote 0

lucyclaire

Nov 18, 2007
✟8,018.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Do you actually believe this? I perceive this lie as yet another attack on our humble faith. Truth be told, atheists have the lowest divorce rate only because they can never get married in the first place! Since when do pedophiles, homosexuals, prostitutes and other socially deviant individuals get married?

As the daughter of an atheist, I find that really, really offensive.
My parents have been together since 1970 and married since 74, my father is still an atheist but he is a good man and I love him as my father.
How dare you call him or anyone like him social deviants? He is more accepting of me and a Christian than you are of him and it is sickening.

As for pedophiles, the fact is that most children are abused in their own home by a family member, who is respectable and married in appearance,
Prostitutes had the compassion of Jesus, you have no idea why they go down that route, they are often abused or on drugs or both.
As for homosexual, I'll bet you have never knowingly met one in you corner of the world, some are sleep arounds, some are not, just like straight men.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

As the daughter of an atheist, I find that really, really offensive.
My parents have been together since 1970 and married since 74, my father is still an atheist but he is a good man and I love him as my father.
How dare you call him or anyone like him social deviants? He is more accepting of me and a Christian than you are of him and it is sickening.

As for pedophiles, the fact is that most children are abused in their own home by a family member, who is respectable and married in appearance,
Prostitutes had the compassion of Jesus, you have no idea why they go down that route, they are often abused or on drugs or both.
As for homosexual, I'll bet you have never knowingly met one in you corner of the world, some are sleep arounds, some are not, just like straight men.
Very true. over 80% of all cases of child molestation are perpetrated by the child’s father, step-father or father surrogate (a man in an active and ongoing romantic/sexual relationship with eth child’s mother) an additional 15% are perpetrated by a first degree male relative, usually a grandfather to the child.

Homosexuals account for less than 0.04% of all cases of child molestation

Reactions: WatersMoon110
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.