✟3,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Story

Democrats are fighting attempts to make cuts in food stamps and conservation programs at a time when people are coping with hurricanes and drought.

"Right now the difference between life and death for many Americans is the food stamp program," said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont. "We should not, we cannot, cut the very nutritional programs that are literally saving lives." A Republican plan to cut agriculture spending by $3 billion was scheduled for a vote Thursday in the Senate Agriculture Committee. But a spokesman for the panel's chairman, Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., said late Wednesday that the vote was being put off indefinitely. He didn't offer a reason.

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that they government should cut its funding for this. Why you may ask. This isn't what the Government is for. We the people should be standing up and helping the poor not the Government. Too often we see people reliant on only what the Government gives them. This needs to stop and private organizations and church groups should be the ones helping the poor.

-cw

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
cameronw said:
I agree that they government should cut its funding for this. Why you may ask. This isn't what the Government is for. We the people should be standing up and helping the poor not the Government. Too often we see people reliant on only what the Government gives them. This needs to stop and private organizations and church groups should be the ones helping the poor.

-cw

Why do you think that? There wouldn't be any regulations then? Unregulated help, for things like this, could be very very bad.

Upvote 0

GutterRat

Senior Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
Chi-town...area...burbs.
Visit site
✟3,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
cameronw said:

-cw

Some of the funding goes to private organizations that assist the poor. Without that money - it's very hard for these organizations to get what they need to assist.

I agree - the church should step up - but until then....

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
cameronw said:

-cw

giving_usa_2004_recipients_pie.jpg
Source

vs

Nutrition ($45.9 billion) includes any Federal funds outlays classified as food and nutrition assistance, including the Food Stamp program, all child nutrition programs (such as the National School Lunch Program) and others.

hmm 18. billion plus some portion of the religious giving, that is a whole lot of standing up, I don't see it happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
cameronw said:

-cw

Most of the "private organizations" and "church groups" that have viable programs are getting funding from the government!

When the feds cut programs like food stamps we don't get any breaks ... all it means is that states and localities have to make up for the shortfall... so your state and local governments have to find new ways to generate income for the budget gaps.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My family once used food stamps. It was when my parents were about 20 and I was a baby. We weren't on them long and they kept us afloat until my dad graduated from college. We are now a stong family contributing to society. Not dependents.

Upvote 0