Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ha! You caught me on the day after we'd experienced conflict (so it's fresh on my mind). We're pretty good at collaborating......but when something is dropped in my lap (like him planning in his head for months a large purchase).....I kinda freak out (I discovered).

I'm grateful that he realizes that he had the advantage of months of planning the pros and cons and gives me the room for my "freak out" (internal.....but I'm sure it showed).

So...yes, I'd say our style is "collaborating". We do tend to reach for joint agreement---and sometimes that takes some creativity. A few times we've come up with solutions that neither of us knew about, because of our conflict. For example: we were planning our front yard courtyard---he wanted pre-formed/manufactured pavers and I imagined terra cotta tiles. Neither of us liked what the other imagined---so we needed to do some searching. We ended up finding pavers that were more like the look I wanted.....and we both ended up liking it better than what we'd each originally imagined. It seems to be our experience that collaborating ends up being win/win solutions instead of one person sacrificing and the other person getting their choice at the expense of the other (where neither person really is pleased).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint P

Mar 20, 2016
Australia
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally believe that understanding marriage and its purpose from a scriptural viewpoint is key to everything that should happen in marriage. For us the 'formular' is be allowed to fully and freely express yourself and secondly be prepared and willing to submit your opinion for the benefit of the marriage. Conflicts arise when people are not ready to sacrifice their opinions.

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
We still have issues with conflict. I'm confrontational and want things resolved NOW. My husband shuts down at confrontation, well...unless he gets royally ticked...then there's just no point.

However, our conflicts are becoming fewer and fewer so that's good...

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't really have big fights that often. Usually just little squabbles. They are very quickly resolved. Being shes from the Philippines, the women there are are known to be "tampo". Heres the "official definition":
Tampo, in Philippine culture, refers to a range of behavior in which a person withdraws his or her affection or cheerfulness from a person who has hurt his or her feelings. The term has no precise equivalent in English, though "sulking" or "to sulk" is often considered the closest translation.

Now the women say its only something they do with their spouse. Because usually you have to say what you did wrong in order for them to speak. I call it silent treatment or childish. Its annoying at times. However I do see it has some use, which is to stop them from saying anything that may hurt since they can be blunt and some can take it very offensively. Such as when there they called my mother chubby, it was not meant as offensive. They are blunt and don't always know the right words. Shes gotten MUCH better about tampo though and doesn't do it at all really now. Which leads to how I act.

When I get mad, at first I am quiet because I don't want to be angry. I usually bring up the subject nicely. After that if things escalate I can get snarky, sarcastic... not sure the word. Such as she mentioned way in the future she would like to retire to her country. I told her I wouldn't move there because of my health. She got annoyed and I said "Fine then I'll just go there and die, but hey, at least you will be free to marry again!". So we are kind of the opposite in how we act. And obviously we are both working on how we act. I can be and sarcastic normally and shes fine with it, but during fights its a BAD idea to be sarcastic. Thankfully since she came here things aren't as bad anymore when we get into a fight. We barley even have squabbles now.

Usually if we do its because of a misunderstanding. Because shes hard of hearing and has a low voice, sometimes I hear wrong what she says. Or vica versa. So we have a quick quibble then thats it after we correct what we originally said so the other person hears it right.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We don't really have big fights that often. Usually just little squabbles
When I read the word "conflict" (or hear it)......I don't think "big fights". I wonder if that's all a part of personal style and perception?

To me......conflict is an opportunity to work together and discover more about each other. I see it as a good thing (it stinks in the thick of it---realizing one has one idea and the other another idea.....but--to me---at least knowing what's going on in another person's head is helpful).

Like I posted earlier---it also often leads to getting another perspective that often results in a better solution than one would come up with on their own.

I am a naturally curious person---and when someone keeps their thoughts to their self--it drives me up a wall. I'm leery of the quiet people that sit and smile....no matter what (they have to have some hidden and unappealing thoughts going on)....... :D

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I found this quote (and I agree):

Grace in Disagreement said:
This is shaky ground for a lot of us: moments when our work, our ideas, and our actions are open to feedback. It is a place of immense vulnerability. But it's also the place where we are the most open and receptive. If we're nurtured, this is how ideas evolve, broken systems detach, and innovation emerges.~http://www.onbeing.org/blog/grace-in-disagreement/6191

.....that's often how I perceive "conflict", as an opportunity for ideas to evolve and progress.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I read the word "conflict" (or hear it)......I don't think "big fights". I wonder if that's all a part of personal style and perception?

To me......conflict is an opportunity to work together and discover more about each other. I see it as a good thing (it stinks in the thick of it---realizing one has one idea and the other another idea.....but--to me---at least knowing what's going on in another person's head is helpful).

Like I posted earlier---it also often leads to getting another perspective that often results in a better solution than one would come up with on their own.

I am a naturally curious person---and when someone keeps their thoughts to their self--it drives me up a wall. I'm leery of the quiet people that sit and smile....no matter what (they have to have some hidden and unappealing thoughts going on)....... :D
Yeah each person uses words differently. Such as I use to use the word hate alot, but turns out when I say hate most people think I "hate" something with a passion, like its a high level hate. Like I hate people who cut in line. Now I use other words like "I don't like people who cut in line!". I reserve hate for very rare circumstances.

I love conflict to as a couple, well as you said at least the fact it will make or break your marriage. It shows if two people can get along and lead to better things or not. Two hears are better then one! ^_^ Well even though my wife would do her quiet thing and I wanted to know what was wrong, y default shes the sociable talkative one. Me? I'm shy, laid back...etc. I'm the guy who sits in a full room of people in a corner by myself learning from what others are doing. Whos saying what to someone else. Gestures that are made. Who talks to who, who avoids who. I look at clothes and actions and so on to figure everyone out. Then I approach the person that seems like they are friendly. Though being married I've gotten used to going to events and talking to people more. Though I am still relativity quiet. I'm better at one on one. Maybe on on two at most.

Maybe its that psychologist (well wanted to be one) in me that loves studying people. My wife and others often will ask me after a event what I thought of it. I'll tell them different things and they will be like "How did you hear so and so on the other side of the room?" or "How do you know so and so is angry?". Though to be fair as you said, I am not someone who will sit and smile. Or even more so not smile.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My husband used to be passive aggressive and I didn't "get it" because that is not a conflict style that was modeled in my family. So I didn't know what he was doing for years. I just thought he was sad or distracted, so I'd be repetitive to get his attention. Once I figured it out, I found it very annoying.

My response to conflict early in marriage was to walk on eggshells. This is kind of what I had been taught was biblical for a wife. I do not know if that interpretation of scripture was wrong, or my way of emulating it was faulty, but it just did not work so I do not follow that model any more. For every "egg shell" you navigate, so to speak, a dozen more pop up in your path and it quickly becomes insurmountable. Every time I have tried to be accommodating to people, they quickly grow to expect it and soon I have more expectations than I could possibly meet even if I was honestly putting in 100% effort, and then they're mad in the end any way. And they start to somehow expect you to take responsibility for external matters beyond your control too. So... this is not to criticize anyone who has managed to emulate submission successfully, but personally I haven't, so my style of conflict is direct and blunt. It does anger people, but I have found that they always get over it, and I can handle it in the meantime.

My husband and I don't have much conflict, but I use the same approach with him as anyone else. I tell him exactly what the problem is (as I perceive it), listen to feedback, refute it if I disagree. I don't bring up past problems or accuse him of patterns ("You always do that" or "You never do this"... which is useless), but I'm firm about my position, and I don't care if it makes him mad for a few days. He always gets over it. The only thing we have argued about in years is getting things done or purchases. He will put things off for eternity if I let him, and I've gotten good about doing as much work myself as I can, so I'm serious when I ask him to do something NOW. I never ask him to do something because I feel like it's "his fair share" or something; I don't mind doing everything myself, if I am capable, but I sometimes do need him to do it so I put my foot down. He is by no means lazy, but there are certain things he hates doing, and those get put off. And he'll be grumpy about it for a minute or for a few days, but I can handle grumpy for a short time. Other times he will want to buy something, and I think it's unnecessary or too expensive, so I say no. He has his own spending money, so only the real biggies even get discussed. It sometimes makes him grumpy for days, but I have found that such grumpiness is far shorter than the time it takes to pay off a large purchase, so it's worth it. Most of them are impulsive wants that he will get over in a week, so no one really loses if I say no. I know what kinds of things he'll actually use and enjoy, and I am very supportive of those kinds of purchases, and after ten years of marriage I am never wrong!

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If we can be honest, all couples have conflicts now and then. Not necessarily huge ones but disagreements none the less.

How would you characterize your style of disagreements and conflict management/resolution?

I can probably count on one hand all the conflicts between my wife and I in the 8 years we have together. Naturally, this makes it difficult to remember how these conflicts start...but I know pretty much how all of them end.

After the initial emotional period where we're actually arguing...there's a separation period of a few hours generally where we gather our thoughts and feelings individually. After this there's a reconciliation period where we apologize for any transgressions...and seek a resolution to whatever the conflict is.

The longest fight we've had lasted maybe a whole day.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The first year of my marriage was a little rocky, because I am rather bull headed on certain things that used to drive my wife nuts. For example: I cannot stand dirty dishes in my kitchen. Yep how silly is that. But Christina had a habit of pouring a glass of tea and letting it sit out on the counter. I would immediately swoop in, grab a clorox clean up, wipe down the counter, and pour out the glass putting it in the dishwasher. For me, at the time, it was a personal vendetta, and a fight I was willing to have. It drove me nuts. She hated, hated, HATED, that I would dare throw out her tea. An let me tell you, she let me know. Also, I am going to do what I say I am, and/or what I think needs to be done even at a personal loss. When my mind is made up.... hell hath no fury..... Well, it turns out treating your wife like an employee that has slacked on the job doesn't work out to well. So yeah, there's that. To me, if something needed to be done you do it, now, not latter. If the lawn needs to be mowed, turn off the TV and go mow it. No milk in the fridge, grab the keys, and go get some, ect.... My wife is way more laid back then me, and would be perfectly fine with doing it latter. I viewed this as lazy excuses. And I would tell her so. We loved each other, and wanted to be with each other, but we didn't realy mesh. Both of us are strong willed people. I'm laughing now typing this, but one day before heading out to work; Chris took all 16 of our drinking glasses and set them all over the house. In the bathroom, the kitchen, the living room, and all over the place. All of them were about 1/4 full of tea. This was our first real argument, and when we came together as a couple. Ohh I was angry, buy the complete absurdity of it was not wasted on me. I thought to myself : "This.... this is what I'm worried about? Glasses of tea?" I immediately went to Walmart, bought a real cute card, and taped it to the bathroom mirror. I told her I loved her, told her that was the funniest thing I have ever seen, signed it, and wrote "P.S. Clean up your mess!" And that was the argument.

Chris still leaves tea on the counter, but now I walk it over to where she is sitting and put it on the nightstand or what have you. I'm still bull headed, and sometime she has to reign me in a bit. But we both have come to understand, it simply doesn't matter. We are both going to do things wrong. Also, marriage isn't realy about what you get out of it. It is about loving and serving your spouse. That being said, we have never had a blowout fight. We talk. Sometimes for hours. Sometimes about absolutely nothing. We just hangout and talk. And we straight up confront one another. And we work it out right there. I have found more joy in making my Baby Girl smile, than constantly having to be right all the time. Make your spouse feel loved, safe & content. That helps allot.

Upvote 0

HerCrazierHalf

closet atheist
Aug 11, 2014
SoCal, US
✟29,273.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
One thing I've found is that we don't have many heated conflicts because I think we give each other enough space. When something comes up and things get too heated I tend to terminate the argument of I feel we each stated our side but are unlikely to budge. At that point I realize nothing helpful will happen as I need to be calm to make good decisions. I know that beyond a certain point things will be the opposite of helpful and dropping it until another time is the way, even if it further perturbs her, even if it is unilaterally dropped is the best route.

I suppose I refuse to engage in conflict for any meaningful time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums