Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know some Christian groups believe that you have to confess your sins to a pastor or a priest before being forgiven. Does your church believe that a minister/priest has authority to forgive sins? If not, what happens when Christians sin? Do different Anabaptist groups have different views on confession?

Thanks in advance,
Grace.

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know some Christian groups believe that you have to confess your sins to a pastor or a priest before being forgiven. Does your church believe that a minister/priest has authority to forgive sins? If not, what happens when Christians sin? Do different Anabaptist groups have different views on confession?

Thanks in advance,
Grace.

Have you given consideration to this passage?
On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
(John 20:19-23)

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am Mennonite Brethren, and in this denomination we believe that we confess our sins to God. But moreso, we live a life of humility, knowing that even though we confess the sins we know about, there are many we do that we are unaware of.

We also believe that when we sin against another person, we are to go to them, acknowledge the sin, ready to face the consequences. There is much power in this action, as it demonstrates the reconciliatory ministry of the Lord Jesus, and we do all we can to live in peace as far as it depends on us.

I help facilitate a 12-step group at my church, and part of this is to make inventories of people who have hurt us, and people we have hurt. It's not just surface stuff. In fact, the first time I facilitated, I recognized how my facilitation actually hindered God's work in one of the members. I put it on my inventory, and confessed to my "sponsor" and then confessed, seeking forgiveness from the woman herself. It was absolutely one of the most freeing things I have ever done, and I know that God's work was restored in her just because of what I did.

Confession does not mean that I seek "absolution" from someone who claims to represent God or have his authority. Confession means to go to God directly, and where it says "confess your sins to one another that you may be healed" means that if you offend someone or sin against them, you need to confess it to them to heal the relationship.

Reactions: graciesings
Upvote 0

snowpumpkin

Mar 11, 2012
Eastern USA
✟7,816.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you given consideration to this passage?
On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
(John 20:19-23)

Have you given consideration to the fact that they're not Catholic? They don't believe in Apostolic succession the way Catholics or Orthodox do, that whatever power Christ gave the apostles, they then passed on to their successors. That passage doesn't mean the same to them as it does to you, and I'm pretty sure that no one is allowed to teach them otherwise in their own forum.

I'm not trying to be mean, just defending the rules. When this sort of thing happens in the Orthodox forum, the poster is pounced, and I think most don't return.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Have you given consideration to the fact that they're not Catholic? They don't believe in Apostolic succession the way Catholics or Orthodox do, that whatever power Christ gave the apostles, they then passed on to their successors. That passage doesn't mean the same to them as it does to you, and I'm pretty sure that no one is allowed to teach them otherwise in their own forum.

I'm not trying to be mean, just defending the rules. When this sort of thing happens in the Orthodox forum, the poster is pounced, and I think most don't return.

Thank you. Those were my own thoughts.

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You shouldn't have jumped him. That was rude of you. A lot of Churches believe in public confession not just Catholics. For instance the Lutheran Church practices public confession in their services. All MoreCoffee did was quote a scripture. You are in the wrong and need to apologize to him.

Upvote 0

nateswift

Dec 21, 2013
✟15,120.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
I really don't think that posting scripture for consideration should be viewed as a challenge. I'd say the response just before mine should be a good example of how to respons to such a post. Remember that the Pharisees were incensed that Jesus forgave sins. It is something that we all have the power to do in our own lives and when one sincerely repents, it's not a matter of whether someone forgives, but of whether God does. I don't think He responds to formulae.
We are all priests for ourselves and need no mediator but our High Priest

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums