chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If she threw down the 'god card' there isn't much point arguing. There is plenty of good advice in this thread in regard to loving her where she is and letting God work through that love. God willing, she will find what you are discovering in the church as well.

Have you ever visited an EO church and did she come with?

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

Yes I have been to over 20 liturgies. She came to one once said it seemed just like her grandmothers Catholic church.

I very recently took her to a methodist service to try do get her into liturgy and she said it was to formal for her.

She is also the spiritual leader if the family due to me saying f!$@ it to Christianity for a couple of years. She got back into Church before I did do the kids took her lead.

Upvote 0

chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know you so I couldn't speculate on that but my own experience was somewhat trying on my wife. She was a trooper though and followed me into the Church. I was prepared to have a mixed faith family if that's what it took. I told her we would be going to DL on Sundays and could go to any church of her choosing for sat. or wed night service. I also told her our Children would be baptized Orthodox. Within a short time, enough of her questions were answered and she was ready to join the Church so we were both baptized together. I thank God for His mercy.

Upvote 0

chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does He preach Christ crucified? Does he call people to live holy lives? If so, encourage her in those things and help her understand the others... The great thing about being a Protestant is you can believe pretty much anything you want. I was Orthodox in my beliefs long before I left to join the Church.

Upvote 0

chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
She said she dose not want a mixed faith family and since she believes she is where God wants her I am probably up a creek with no paddle.

That's just a challenge... lovingly disagree, put on your man britches, and go to Church. Even if you only think you can go to Vespers on Sat... Do what you know is right and don't take dictates/ultimatums.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

SeventhValley

Does He preach Christ crucified? Does he call people to live holy lives? If so, encourage her in those things and help her understand the others... The great thing about being a Protestant is you can believe pretty much anything you want. I was Orthodox in my beliefs long before I left to join the Church.

Yes , he encourages people to love each other, he wants families to do devotions at least once a day.He wants people to work on yourselves before others. He is a really nice guy just his theology is off.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
She said she dose not want a mixed faith family and since she believes she is where God wants her I am probably up a creek with no paddle.

does she know how much you are sincere in looking at Churches like the Orthodox? if you see theological errors in where she wants to go, that will come to the surface down the line. I say slowly pursue Orthodoxy if you are inclined to it.

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

The thing is the pastor wants to hang on to osas. But to logically do that you have to have once damned always damned also. If you preach free will then you must also preach the ability to be cut off if you do not stay in Christ.

He dose not commit to either line of thought.

He teaches sanctification as separate from justification which only works if you go full Calvinist.

My wife recognizes the errors but says since he is a very honest and trustworthy pastor who admits his faults,that we should overlook it.

She believed no matter where we go I would find fault with their theology.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
She believed no matter where we go I would find fault with their theology.

what dogmatic errors have you found in Orthodoxy? cause if you can find none, you might be able to use that to have her give it another chance/more chances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums