Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, we are not allowed to receive Communion in any other church (Baptist, RC, Lutheran, Episcopalian, etc). Nor can they receive Communion in ours. Also, Baptists do not believe that they are receiving the Body and Blood of Christ (they will out and out deny that Communion is the Body and Blood). That is the main reason that I left the Baptist church. Once I came to the conclusion that Christ meant everything He said in the last section of John 6 and that He meant it when He indicated that the bread is His body and that the wine is His blood, I could no longer stay there. That started me on my journey to the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That will be a big problem. I would have to convince my wife to convert to Orthodoxy or go to hell.

well if she would be okay with you pursuing Orthodoxy, than you should pursue it. become Orthodox, and then pray that she eventually comes around (folks on here can attest that happens).

we don't judge those outside of our faith, so we cannot say whether or not she would be headed to hell or heaven. God knows, and He loves those outside the Church just as much as those inside.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You keep reverting to this "you're going to hell, honey!" default. As Matt said quite nicely, Orthodoxy isn't in the condemnation game. Orthodoxy is in the business of Truth. That is the very definition of Orthodoxy--right theology, the right way, right path.

We know what we have in this Church--perfect sacraments, flawless holy theology, the communion of saints praying for us, and the tools to draw near to God in all His glory. It's tough.

If you convert to this faith, which I think it's my hope and the hope of all in here that you do indeed convert, you must understand that your conversion isn't the instant condemnation of your loving wife. it's a step and a stand you're taking on your own spiritual journey. And as Matt said, your move might very well (with prayer) motivate her conversion. You're in a tough spot, but realize that God is calling you to lead. Your wife and family could find Orthodoxy. But if you look at everything through the prism of infernos and pitch forks, not much fruit will be born. You can't preach to your wife, "I'm Orthodox now, so if you don't want to fry in hell, you better get chrismated, too!" That won't work, nor should it. You approach it through what you've GAINED once you get chrismated, not what negatives there are for your lady. And as she sees you fast, take the Eucharist, go to confession, pray in a new and better way, and grow in your kindness an charity and compassion and love, trust me, she'll consider conversion.

So I think there is more pressure for you to step up once you become Orthodox than there is pressure about hell issues. If you don't step up and follow the faith, then her conversion will not follow. Orthodoxy has its pressures and demands and realities. Becoming Orthodox was a HUGE seismic shift for my wife and kids and I. Long drives, paradigm shifts, many changes. I'm very glad we took the plunge. You are in tougher territory than we were, though. My wife and I were united in our conversion. You are not. So it's on your shoulders to lead. The Lord is giving you a tough position, but a winnable one.

Think back to Scripture. Abraham was told to sacrifice Isaac. Jacob had to flee from his own brother and his own sons gave him hell for years with the Dinah situation and then Joseph. Look at all that David went through with Bathsheba and Absalom, Saul, etc. Family isn't easy. But the Lord tells us that he is not sending us kumbaya....he's sending A SWORD. Remember that passage? The Lord divides families sometimes because the faith is more important than warm fuzzies. It's not about hell, but about running TOWARD something---Holy Orthodoxy. Don't drop the ball, Seventh. Convert, pray hard, and reach out your hand. Chances are your wife will grab it to cross the river...

:crosseo:

That will be a big problem. I would have to convince my wife to convert to Orthodoxy or go to hell.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I think there is more pressure for you to step up once you become Orthodox than there is pressure about hell issues. If you don't step up and follow the faith, then her conversion will not follow. Orthodoxy has its pressures and demands and realities.
:crosseo:

Yes, walking the walk is definitely the hard part.

If it's any consolation, we do know several couples of whom one converted first, and the other did eventually follow. And the process, even if lengthy, did follow the pattern that gurney said here. The convert prayed, walked the walk, and showed by example.

And of course, not everyone eventually converts. Sometimes people remain apart in their faith. Not ideal, but workable if humility prevails.

And don't do anything weird, like suddenly grow a huge beard, change your legal name to Vladimir, and become convinced that an Empire is the best political system for the 21st Century. That will NOT help your wife to convert.

(And yes, I've encountered a few people who really did those things)

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There was a couple that went to our parish for a few years before moving out of state, where she was Orthodox and he was a staunch atheist. Though he did choose to attend with her and was welcomed to participate in all parish events, he made it clear that he wasn't a believer, etcetera (and I could say a lot in place of etcetera b/c this guy had some issues), and nobody pushed him to convert. I don't know what precipitated his change of heart, but I have never witnessed such a dramatic turn around with a person ever before (some of the issues I won't delve into disappeared at his baptism). His conversion even surprised his wife- I think.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what precipitated his change of heart, but I have never witnessed such a dramatic turn around with a person ever before (some of the issues I won't delve into disappeared at his baptism). His conversion even surprised his wife- I think.

a buddy of mine has a Lebenese father and a German/English mother. his mom was always a baptist, and he and his sister were raised Orthodox by their father. one day, 20 some odd years after my buddy was born, his mother outta the blue just told them that she agrees with Orthodoxy, desired to join the faith. she was received into the faith after a year-ish catechesis (she had been attending the Orthodox Church for some time, but never actually mentioned out loud her inner change).

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My advice is to become the best husband you can be- more loving, more kind, more helpful, less critical, less lazy, less grumpy, etc. (Not that you are lazy, grumpy, etc now, I just gave some examples.) Show your wife that living your life in Christ in the life of the Church is life-changing, and for the better! The worst thing to do (not that you are doing this, again, just giving examples) is to become dogmatic and critical. That will turn her off faster than anything and besides, it wouldn't be true Orthodoxy but a caricature.

I would not mention hell at all. If she asks, have a gentle, non-condemnatory answer at the ready.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

What?
No, you could never make a statement or judgement like that. God will give grace to whomever He pleases however He pleases.

Communion is far more than who you drink grape juice with. The idea of open communion rose from the deconstruction of the sacraments in low protestant churches. If communion is just "remembering Jesus" (whatever that means), let whoever come and eat. If it is truly the body and blood of Christ, it is medicine to those who approach rightly and condemnation to those who approach wrongly. Scripture chronicles people dying because they communed improperly. Why any leader of a flock would let just anyone partake is beyond me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i personally would suggest trying to talk to your wife about all this before she is baptized. perhaps she would be open to becoming Orthodox eventually, and then she can have a true Orthodox baptism.

i grew up non-denominational, with Baptist theology, and my parents always wanted me to get baptized all my life, but i never did because we believed it was only a symbol and therefore i didn't see a need to be baptized. i am definitely grateful that i wasn't baptized, because then i was baptized when entering the Orthodox Church, and I know I received a true baptism.

Upvote 0